Silca tire pump on sale for $400

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
Ok. So it's only $399.99.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/silca-superpista-ultimate-floor-pump

Remember you lawyers, dentists and assorted hipster trust fund babies...it really is "Heirloom Quality". And if your Formula 1 car loses its brakes in the middle of a race, you can rip off the Silca air hose and use it as a spare! Eat your heart out, Hamilton Lewis.

I blame Hetchins and Herse for this madness!

Besides that, saving $45 is so totally cool...or just add a Pro 4 to your order and call it square.

For $400 I would expect them to get the rosewood flush with the metal to which it's attached...

And there's no target pressure indicator like my Joe Blow has.

For 400 a Hooters girl will appear, bend over and inflate my tires to perfect pressure.

For 400 bucks she should spend a couple hours inflating more than your tires. :big-smile:

It's the perfect gift for the proctologist that already has all the Campy Anniversario groups, the belt buckle collection, the cork remover AND the nut cracker!

It is guaranteed to inspire new levels of jealousy among all your gran fondue buddies and will be sure to set off a really whacktarded round of one-upmanship.

MotownBikeBoy said:
For 400 bucks she should spend a couple hours inflating more than your tires. :big-smile:
Very true since she needs to bring her feather duster to dust off my furniture and other items.
r​

For only $5.50 each you can buy Silca's ultra-precise, world's bestest evar CO2 cartridges:
http://silca.cc/products/silca-ultra-premium-co2-cartridges

That $400 pump appears to be the ONLY pump Silca makes now that moved to the USA. Why compete when folks will fork over $400 for a tire pump. Made in Indianapolis...the cultural hub of fine cycling...

Hmmmm....after reading this:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Who we are and what we believe:

We believe in catching the perfect sunset from a high mountain trail. We believe in the perfect silence of a finely tuned road bike on new pavement. We believe in the perfect barrier hop, one so clean you could swear you actually landed going faster than when you left the earth. We believe in the perfect cross wind on a time-trial bike, the one where it feels like you're dreaming as the wind goes silent in your ears and your speed increases as you sail like a racing boat. We believe in the perfect line, on the perfect berm, with the perfect setup, with the perfect pressures…magic.

Ultimately, we believe that perfection can be found (and sometimes created) in the details of everything that any of us do. Our commitment to you, our customer, that we will continually strive to design and build the most perfect products possible. We will study and share the most up to date data and science that can help create your next perfect ride. We will seek out the finest materials sourced in the most ethically and environmentally responsible ways possible. We will support our products with spares and replacement parts for as long as possible, because we know that the perfect pump, is yours. The one you've had as long as you can remember. The one that's never let you down, the one that's dirty and battered, the one that appears on so many of your great stories, from so many great trips, and so many great rides with so many great friends. Perfection.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel so inspired! I feel like bunny hopping through a time trial in a dream! And, of course, I feel like spending $400 on a tire pump of heirloom quality! If ONLY it had a rich Corinthian leather washer in that barrel! Then...and only then...would it be perfection!

Not sure why anyone would want a $500 hand pump, I guess the same people that have gold plated toilets may find that pump a deal. If someone wants a better pump, yes the one I'm about to show is actually better for a lot less money, see this pump: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/control.tower.pro.floor.pump/554/30745/ A bit of an overkill for me personally but it is the best pump made, of course it won't pump up to 12,000 psi but I don't have any tires that will go that high nor do I think I could push the handle down at even half that pressure! so what the heck would be the purpose of that ability?

Apparently, they are selling like the proverbial hotcakes...uh, there WAS a Biblical proverb about hotcakes...right?

Export sales are through the roof or at least very solid according to a National People's Republic (aka NPR) radio report. I have no problem with the price tag. The company owner is just target marketing to the 1%...smart move IMO.

I do have to laugh that his retarded advertising copy. Selling a ****ing tire pump as 'art'. Gimme a break. And using Glock's "Perfection" slogan? And the hyperbole in the 'Who We Are' ****.

I just about threw up reading that trash. Are there really that many stupid people with money out there?

Don't answer that!

For a "collectible"
big-smile.png
object with that price it should probably be a lot Kitsch-ier... Alot.
big-smile.png

Maybe something like this but with more wings, bears, country side illustrations and lots of golden highlights.
big-smile.png

I haven't read this yet, but...

The new old-school: the story behind Silca’s $450 floor pump
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/10/the-new-old-school-the-story-behind-silcas-450-floor-pump/

"If there were people out there that could accept and admire the work that went into producing a kitchen knife that could cost up to a staggering $15,000, then surely people could appreciate the craftsmanship, design and quality of a pump that cost $450.""

Ah...yeah...no.

Silca is not selling you a pump.
It's selling you pure awesomeness.

"The assembly room had very little machinery in it — a few milling machines sat against the walls, the main area though was covered in tables with small tubs filled with everything that was needed to build the pumps."

Assemblatori.

"One such problem was the fact that finding a supplier who could produce the main barrel was close to impossible. Milling tubes to the length and the precision that Silca wanted needed milling machines of huge length."

Oh...what a load of horse ****.
Complete.
Unadulterated.
Horse ****.

The more I learn about this product, the more inclined I am to keep using 30+ year old Silca's.

No...no laser alignment was used in their construction. No...no ±.0005" tolerances were specified on the old design drawings. Nope...not a single rosewood bush or tree was sacrificed to enhance the beauty and pure awesomeness of the original product...or boost the price tag into the stratosphere in order to impress old ***** with my 'good taste' and Platinum Card's credit limit. No...I never even lamented the fact that my old Silca's have 5% resolution analog gauges that, at best, serve as a reference reading.

Oh...BTW: I can repair and ball-size 95% of the dents likely to be inflicted on a Silca's steel Colombus tubing...short of you driving over it with your Aston-Martin after the big Tuesday Night World Championships. Just send me your dented pump, a certified check for $400 and I'll enter you into a lottery to get you in line to repair your precious heirloom quality collector's item tire pump. Insured return shipping will be extra, of course.

Be sure to order a few of my Ultra-Premium 16 gram CO2 cartridges while you are filling out your online repair application form. For the New Year I am making them available with a paper bag of Ethiopian sauerkraut and pork for only $145 each.

^^ Hmmm, I appreciate the art of making and keeping money, and spending the money wisely, and a $15,000 knife will not cut or chop food any better than a $100 knife, and a $450 pump will not put purified air or put air in better than a $100 pump. I know very wealthy people who got that way wisely and they would never spend $15,000 for a kitchen knife even though they could easily afford it without blinking an eye.

My buddy whines about the cost of 106 octane av-gas for his aerobatic biplane. While he keeps three spare bikes at his Florida winter house he went ballistic at the thought of spending $400 to pump his tires up.

You're right, Froze. And JH has the right idea. For $400 I'll have a hooker stroking more than a Silca.

I've got a few hand made knives, but $15K?!?!?! For $15K I can buy a freakin' knife manufacturing company AND the demi-god knifemaker's name to go with it. Damascus steel ain't all that.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I've got a few hand made knives, but $15K?!?!?! For $15K I can buy a freakin' knife manufacturing company AND the demi-god knifemaker's name to go with it. Damascus steel ain't all that.

Do you even Damascus brah?
big-smile.png

For just $299.95 you can have one of these... Just dont put it in the dishwasher.
big-smile.png

Opinel's "Damascus"...

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-limited-editions/products/opinel-damascus-no8-ebony

You expect me to serve my guests with THAT?

That, sir, is the shimaNO Sora of steak knives.

The more I think about it...and trust me here fellas, I luvs me some capitalism...the dude that bought his Eyetalian street cred the old fashioned way is going to make a killing off us stoopid cyclists. Like the article said, there are guys aplenty that drop $7,000-$15,000 on dream bikes and pay outrageous amounts to go to 'fantasy training camps' (That's just weird. Any 'fantasy' that doesn't involve blonde Swedish twins, an in-ground pool filled with Jello and some baklava is just plain perverted.) and follow pro cyclists like they were a bunch of doped up futbol heroes.

That sort will keep Silca U.S.A. assemblatori and shipping pompe in their cute custom cardboard boxes....with a 'free' sample of Somali coffee and a 'premium' CO2 cartridge.

A friend of a friend recently paid $14,000 for a bike which still isn't good enough to stop me matching his speed with one leg. (Wanka :) ). Ha.
He wasn't happy when I suggested that he could've bought a lot of used Ducati for that much, and still had some change

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
You expect me to serve my guests with THAT?

That, sir, is the shimaNO Sora of steak knives.

It's a pocket knife... But they are great for potatoes.
wink.png

Perhaps some "Rose wood" would appeal to the gentleman!
big-smile.png

Or maybe a knife with a raw handle to carve with another knife!
big-smile.png

EDC:

Queue Croc Mick Dundee: "Now that's a Knoife!"

No. Really. Now THAT'S a knife.

Note to self: All Glory to CampyBob for ordering Silca spare leathers and chuck gaskets years ago. Before they became 'collectibles'.

I'll be go to Hell if I'm paying some schmuck $9 for a rubber chuck gasket.
What.
The.
****?
$9??? For a nine CENT gasket???

Katy bar the door.

$11 for a leather I can rationalize. After a few beers, maybe but I can let it slide. $9 for a gasket molded by the thousands? Oy vey!

Holy textbook model of profit markup, Batman!

I guess every old fart Silca Pista owner will subsidize someone's boat payments for the next two decades or so. I'm suddenly becoming a fan of the commie Chinese clone of my old Japanese Medai floor pump. You know...the one that isn't an "heirloom quality" collectible.

For the $20-$25 they get for them I'll throw rocks at the preptastic spazoids at 'Silca' with every new one I buy for the price of a couple of their chuck gaskets.

When I was teen and driving I use to carry a very well sharpened machete! Serious. Cops didn't like it but it was legal in California since it wasn't a knife and was considered a tool like an ax is a tool. Cops always gave me a rash of **** for it but they knew they couldn't ticket me for it either. And besides I just came from whacking down bamboo...

Paying $15,000 for a bicycle is not only extreme but the bike is far from being worth $15,000. No one is going to tell me that a $15,000 bicycle has more technology then a brand new $15,000 KTM 1290 Super Duke R; a $15,000 bicycle is worth a lot closer to half that. But this sport we're involved in is more about whatever the traffic will bear like a $450 pump.