Silk boxers alternative

Manic

Jul 25, 2006
Hi, I'm a newbie to biking and have a question. I don't want to wear tight fitting lycra so I was thinking about going with baggy bike shorts with the liner and padding. But I was wondering, before I spent money on quality shorts, if wearing silk boxers and some sort of baggy sport short or cargo short would work just as well.

Manic said:
Hi, I'm a newbie to biking and have a question. I don't want to wear tight fitting lycra so I was thinking about going with baggy bike shorts with the liner and padding. But I was wondering, before I spent money on quality shorts, if wearing silk boxers and some sort of baggy sport short or cargo short would work just as well.
I'd imagine wearing silk boxers while riding a bike would give you the wedgie from hell.

Oh, okay. I've never worn boxers before so I didn't know. I guess I'll go to the bike shop this weekend and buy shorts designed for biking.

Manic said:
the tight fitting lycra is the best part! :cool:

Go the tight fitting lycra.
1 It is the sliding on & off the saddle without the crotch of loose fitting shorts getting caught on the nose of the saddle as you sit back down.
2 Loose shorts stick to your legs when sweating so you're constantly pulling them back by hand as you sit back down
3 Loose shorts can rub & cause chaffing
These are a couple of reasons why loose shorts with or without silk boxers are unsuitable for a serious rider. Not sure how the baggy padded cycle shorts perform but I would think they too would get tangled up, but the padding would aid bum comfort.
BTW I road 5k klms before I bought my first lycra knicks, probably self concious about them to start with, but once I realised their benifits I don't know how I survived so long without them. I still get called "gay" & "pufter pants" by my best mates [who don't ride bikes] but who cares. I tell them you would'nt play football in jeans......

Manic said:
You can try. I garauntee the first time one of the boys gets squashed on the seat you will reconsider the lycra.

I've always found shorts while riding to be really annoying. I actually still ride in shorts and tighty whities while on the trainer, and they're always grabbing my knees and creating hotspots. Luckily for me, they never rub me raw or create any lasting discomfort. I definately use lyrca when riding normally though. If you feel like a tool in the tight shorts, you could always wear shorter, 'normal' shorts over the top of them. I suppose that would limit the tool factor while not really getting in the way.

Go for the spandex. They are really the best & most comfortable solution. If you really aren't comfortable in trying it, look at mountain bike shorts that have a built in shamoie liner. You'll get the benefit of the padding but still look a little goofy in my mind. :D

Although if you're a really strong rider & are able to blow the other riders away.....

I say go for the spandex. I used to wear the baggies with chamois underneath but have come around to wearing just the spandex. At first you'll feel like you're going out in public in just your underwear but it's so much more comfortable. Plus, it's becoming more commonplace so you won't stand out as much.

Yeah definitely go for the lycra or whatever. At first I thought I was going to get by without wearing those silly shorts. Then as soon as the little 10 mile ride was over I was looking for a bike shop to buy some at. You'll be glad you got em.

Also, just noticed you were from Tulsa. If you ever want to go riding just let me know. My wife is just now starting to ride as well so we've been riding a lot of shorter distances lately.

tyler1212 said:
"Nothing will ever come between me and my chamois. Well, maybe some hot *****es."
+ 1 its the padding and the wicking qualities for lyrca your looking for. The boxers would get too sweaty and offer no cushioning at all.

There's also the longer spandex biking pants. They aren't great for this warmer weather, but you also don't feel as underdressed or "gay" in them.

Save the silk boxer's for the bedroom. Get yourself some good bike shorts! If you just can't handle it, get some cool MTB shorts.

Well, I took everyone's advice and bought some spandex/lycra shorts thingies. It made all the differnece in the world. No chafing or sore spots after a short 35 minute ride around the hood. But I cheated a little...I wore a swimsuit over the shorts and it worked out okay. Maybe some day I'll ditch the cover....:p :eek:

Manic said:

I raced for 7 years, and with training and all, was in wool and lycra for the balance of my days. I'm over it, now (20 years later). For commuting & longer rides I wear street shorts and boxer-briefs, but I mean to get some mtb shorts with a chamois (which must be _kept_clean_).

Also street shorts over lycra would be OK. When I raced I also commuted and would keep slacks in a bag and put them on over my lycra shorts in the office. The lycra feels like nothing so it wasn't too hot or anything.