Silk Road GPS Tracks ?

erasmo

Guest
Hi:

I was just day-dreaming about a future ride along the ancient Silk
Road (connecting Istanbul, Turkey or Damascus, Syria and Xian, China),
and I was asking myself if there could be already some GPS tracks of
people that had already made this route

so, my question: are there some links where I could find posted GPS
tracks of this route: the Silk Road, between Istanbul or Damascus and
Xian, China, made by fellow cyclists ?

thank you very much

greetings

In article <[email protected]>,
"erasmo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I was just day-dreaming about a future ride along the ancient Silk
> Road (connecting Istanbul, Turkey or Damascus, Syria and Xian, China),
> and I was asking myself if there could be already some GPS tracks of
> people that had already made this route
>
> so, my question: are there some links where I could find posted GPS
> tracks of this route: the Silk Road, between Istanbul or Damascus and
> Xian, China, made by fellow cyclists ?
>
> thank you very much
>
> greetings

No GPS coordinates that I am aware of but try googling 'cycle silk road'
and you will get enough info to last a while. You might also find some
people who have cycled through there.

It is just coincidence that yesterday I read the first three instalments
of the following blog describing three Americans cycling the Silk Road
and their adventures in Turkmenistan. Cycling content is pretty thin but
if you read it before you go I am sure it will bring a smile to your
face when you experience something similar.

regards,
Darryl

Darryl C wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "erasmo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> I was just day-dreaming about a future ride along the ancient Silk
>> Road (connecting Istanbul, Turkey or Damascus, Syria and Xian, China),
>> and I was asking myself if there could be already some GPS tracks of
>> people that had already made this route
>>
>> so, my question: are there some links where I could find posted GPS
>> tracks of this route: the Silk Road, between Istanbul or Damascus and
>> Xian, China, made by fellow cyclists ?
>>
>> thank you very much
>>
>> greetings

> No GPS coordinates that I am aware of but try googling 'cycle silk road'
> and you will get enough info to last a while. You might also find some
> people who have cycled through there.
>
> It is just coincidence that yesterday I read the first three instalments
> of the following blog describing three Americans cycling the Silk Road
> and their adventures in Turkmenistan. Cycling content is pretty thin but
> if you read it before you go I am sure it will bring a smile to your
> face when you experience something similar.
>
> regards,
> Darryl

Would that be this one? It's one of the best travel blogs I've ever read.

http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Bikepacker/

Friday

In article <[email protected]>,
Friday <[email protected]> wrote:

> Darryl C wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "erasmo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >> I was just day-dreaming about a future ride along the ancient Silk
> >> Road (connecting Istanbul, Turkey or Damascus, Syria and Xian, China),
> >> and I was asking myself if there could be already some GPS tracks of
> >> people that had already made this route
> >>
> >> so, my question: are there some links where I could find posted GPS
> >> tracks of this route: the Silk Road, between Istanbul or Damascus and
> >> Xian, China, made by fellow cyclists ?
> >>
> >> thank you very much
> >>
> >> greetings

> > No GPS coordinates that I am aware of but try googling 'cycle silk road'
> > and you will get enough info to last a while. You might also find some
> > people who have cycled through there.
> >
> > It is just coincidence that yesterday I read the first three instalments
> > of the following blog describing three Americans cycling the Silk Road
> > and their adventures in Turkmenistan. Cycling content is pretty thin but
> > if you read it before you go I am sure it will bring a smile to your
> > face when you experience something similar.
> >
> > regards,
> > Darryl

> Would that be this one? It's one of the best travel blogs I've ever read.
>
> http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Bikepacker/
>
> Friday

No, it's not but thanks for that link.

The one I was referring to was at: