Silly cycling article- post feedback please.

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Paul Boyd wrote:
> >
> > Yes - it seems daft that they've just singled out phones instead of
> > making all these gadgets illegal. The point usually made though is
> > "where do you stop?". Car radio? Adjusting ventilation controls?

> Car radios are ventilation are regarded as a good thing,
> especially for long distance travel as the keep drivers
> awake. I think that drivers are more likely to adjust
> these at quiet points of there journeys (e.g. waiting at
> traffic lights).

so can a sat nav on long journey that you are unsure of, as it will give
you a eta, and how far left etc.

my exerance is people change vents/heating as and when needed though
often can be done with out looking.

> Mobile phones however are likely to be answered, and used
> at more complicated parts, when the driver would not touch
> the air-con (e.g. through juctions).

my phone which is a sat nav as well is effecvly unanswerable as it
doesn't switch to loudspeaker mode.

> Having said that, I have noticed more car drivers pulling
> over to use the phone in the last month or so.
>
> If
> > I'm driving long distance on an unfamiliar route I write out a crib
> > sheet in big black letters, and glance at it occasionally. Is that more
> > or less dangerous than using sat-nav?

> IMHO less dangerous. You are reading something that you
> already know, as long as you are not searching through it.

unless you can find somewhere to put the sheet thats in view i really
can't see how. the stat nav is postioned in sight. a crib sheet or map
is unlikely to so most will leave it on the passanger seat, where one
has to glance away from the road, not ideal.

> Martin.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On 21/07/2007 09:27, Roger Merriman said,

> unless you can find somewhere to put the sheet thats in view i really
> can't see how. the stat nav is postioned in sight. a crib sheet or map
> is unlikely to so most will leave it on the passanger seat, where one
> has to glance away from the road, not ideal.

I have it taped to the dashboard, so glancing at it is no more of a
distraction than glancing at the rear view mirror or whatever. These
instructions are very vague and only serve as a reminder because I've
more or less memorised the route beforehand. Things like "M5 J5 A442
KIDDERMINSTER". That one liner covers about 100 miles of driving!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 21/07/2007 09:27, Roger Merriman said,
>
> > unless you can find somewhere to put the sheet thats in view i really
> > can't see how. the stat nav is postioned in sight. a crib sheet or map
> > is unlikely to so most will leave it on the passanger seat, where one
> > has to glance away from the road, not ideal.

> I have it taped to the dashboard, so glancing at it is no more of a
> distraction than glancing at the rear view mirror or whatever. These
> instructions are very vague and only serve as a reminder because I've
> more or less memorised the route beforehand. Things like "M5 J5 A442
> KIDDERMINSTER". That one liner covers about 100 miles of driving!

ah for that sort of stuff i either just leave the sat nav running, it's
a useful how far have i gone etc. and is visable in night. saves the
struggle with AtoZ and maps.

i think people come unstuck with things like sat nav's by blindly
following them. very clever bits of kit, but by no means fool proof.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com