silly newbie question (quick release)

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Gwen Morse, May 16, 2003.

  1. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    I made use of the quick release feature on my bike yesterday (handy little option!). Now, I can't
    get the wheel completely reconnected. I actually have the wheel on and locked. But, I had to
    adjust a brake cable connected to the brake ummm...pads? The rubber parts that actually grip the
    rim and brake.

    I thought I rememberd how I disconnected it, but, I obviously don't because I now can't get it to
    RECONNECT.

    There's sort of a u-shaped notch in a metal bit on my left (from my perspective), and a wire in my
    right. The wire is "supposed" to seat into the notch (I think). I can squeeze the notch towards the
    wire. But, I find that I can't find a section of wire of a narrow enough diameter to fit into the
    notch. There's sort of a "sleeve" over part of the cable, and pushing this around still doesn't seem
    to give me the right section of wire. I don't want to force it, because I'm concerned about damaging
    the cabling. I read the manual, but, it wasn't very helpful (it only says something vague like
    "reconnect this cable")

    I have a stock Trek 4100. I'd very much appreciate it if someone would answer how to reconnect the
    wire so my brakes will work when I ride.

    Gwen

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Gwen Morse <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I made use of the quick release feature on my bike yesterday (handy little option!). Now, I can't
    > get the wheel completely reconnected. I actually have the wheel on and locked. But, I had to
    > adjust a brake cable connected to the brake ummm...pads? The rubber parts that actually grip the
    > rim and brake.
    >
    > I thought I rememberd how I disconnected it, but, I obviously don't because I now can't get it to
    > RECONNECT.
    >
    > There's sort of a u-shaped notch in a metal bit on my left (from my perspective), and a wire in my
    > right. The wire is "supposed" to seat into the notch (I think). I can squeeze the notch towards
    > the wire. But, I find that I can't find a section of wire of a narrow enough diameter to fit into
    > the notch. There's sort of a "sleeve" over part of the cable, and pushing this around still
    > doesn't seem to give me the right section of wire. I don't want to force it, because I'm concerned
    > about damaging the cabling. I read the manual, but, it wasn't very helpful (it only says something
    > vague like "reconnect this cable")
    >
    > I have a stock Trek 4100. I'd very much appreciate it if someone would answer how to reconnect the
    > wire so my brakes will work when I ride.
    >
    > Gwen

    Gwen, that metal sleeve/tube (known as a 'noodle') has a narrow bit on the end the inner cable exits
    it, the end of the cable that goes under the little clamp bolt?

    You need to pull the 'noodle' along the cable inner toward the outer section, let the a part of the
    last section of inner cable drop into that U shaped notch, then let the narrow bit pop into the slot
    - it'll seat itself against the 'metal bit'.

    A bit vague, but I hope it helps!

    Shaun aRe

  3. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Gwen Morse <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > I made use of the quick release feature on my bike yesterday (handy little option!). Now, I
    > > can't get the wheel completely reconnected. I actually have the wheel on and locked. But, I had
    > > to adjust a brake cable connected to the brake ummm...pads? The rubber parts that actually grip
    > > the rim and brake.
    > >
    > > I thought I rememberd how I disconnected it, but, I obviously don't because I now can't get it
    > > to RECONNECT.
    > >
    > > There's sort of a u-shaped notch in a metal bit on my left (from my perspective), and a wire in
    > > my right. The wire is "supposed" to seat into the notch (I think). I can squeeze the notch
    > > towards the wire. But, I find that I can't find a section of wire of a narrow enough diameter to
    > > fit into the notch. There's sort of a "sleeve" over part of the cable, and pushing this around
    > > still doesn't seem to give me the right section of wire. I don't want to force it, because I'm
    > > concerned about damaging the cabling. I read the manual, but, it wasn't very helpful (it only
    > > says something vague like "reconnect this cable")
    > >
    > > I have a stock Trek 4100. I'd very much appreciate it if someone would answer how to reconnect
    > > the wire so my brakes will work when I ride.
    > >
    > > Gwen
    >
    > Gwen, that metal sleeve/tube (known as a 'noodle') has a narrow bit on the end the inner cable
    > exits it, the end of the cable that goes under the little clamp bolt?
    >
    > You need to pull the 'noodle' along the cable inner toward the outer section, let the a part of
    > the last section of inner cable drop into that U shaped notch, then let the narrow bit pop into
    > the slot - it'll seat itself against the 'metal bit'.
    >
    > A bit vague, but I hope it helps!
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    we can take pictures if it'll help. make sure the qr axle is seated correctly in the dropouts or the
    brakes will hit the tire and not allow you to close them enough to reattach them.
    --
    ~Travis

  4. Gwen, Check to make sure that in unconnecting the brakes, the housing didn't pop out somewhere
    between the brakes and the brake lever and hasn't hung on an edge somewhere. The "sleeve" is a white
    plastic sticking partially out of the curved aluminum piece (the noodle) that seats against the
    u-shaped metal notched bit? If so you should try to push that back into the noodle. With time, use
    and wear it tends to try self-extracting and can get in the way of reattachment. Other than that, if
    you still can't squeeze the brake arms together enough (and the brake pads are contacting the rim
    only and cleanly (nearly flush)) to slip the cable thru the notch you have to re-adjust the brake
    cable. You didn't mention what sort of adjustment you made but if you took in some cable slack,

    >But, I had to adjust a brake cable connected to the brake ummm...pads? The rubber parts that
    >actually grip the rim and brake.

    give enough back until it works. Also make sure the wheel is seated fully in both dropouts.

    Al (6,445km in '03 and counting...)

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Gwen Morse <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > I made use of the quick release feature on my bike yesterday (handy little option!). Now, I
    > > can't get the wheel completely reconnected. I actually have the wheel on and locked. But, I had
    > > to adjust a brake cable connected to the brake ummm...pads? The rubber parts that actually grip
    > > the rim and brake.
    > >
    > > I thought I rememberd how I disconnected it, but, I obviously don't because I now can't get it
    > > to RECONNECT.
    > >
    > > There's sort of a u-shaped notch in a metal bit on my left (from my perspective), and a wire in
    > > my right. The wire is "supposed" to seat into the notch (I think). I can squeeze the notch
    > > towards the wire. But, I find that I can't find a section of wire of a narrow enough diameter to
    > > fit into the notch. There's sort of a "sleeve" over part of the cable, and pushing this around
    > > still doesn't seem to give me the right section of wire. I don't want to force it, because I'm
    > > concerned about damaging the cabling. I read the manual, but, it wasn't very helpful (it only
    > > says something vague like "reconnect this cable")
    > >
    > > I have a stock Trek 4100. I'd very much appreciate it if someone would answer how to reconnect
    > > the wire so my brakes will work when I ride.
    > >
    > > Gwen
    >
    > Gwen, that metal sleeve/tube (known as a 'noodle') has a narrow bit on the end the inner cable
    > exits it, the end of the cable that goes under the little clamp bolt?
    >
    > You need to pull the 'noodle' along the cable inner toward the outer section, let the a part of
    > the last section of inner cable drop into that
    > shaped notch, then let the narrow bit pop into the slot - it'll seat
    itself
    > against the 'metal bit'.
    >
    > A bit vague, but I hope it helps!
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    That, and check along the housing (the outer sheath the cable runs in) where it goes into the
    noodle, frame stops and the lever that it hasn't popped out and snagged itself on the edge. This
    will effectively shorten the cable preventing you from putting the noodle into place on the
    brake arm.

    Mike

  6. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I made use of the quick release feature on my bike yesterday (handy little option!). Now, I can't
    > get the wheel completely reconnected. I actually have the wheel on and locked. But, I had to
    > adjust a brake cable connected to the brake ummm...pads? The rubber parts that actually grip the
    > rim and brake.
    >
    > I thought I rememberd how I disconnected it, but, I obviously don't because I now can't get it to
    > RECONNECT.
    >
    > There's sort of a u-shaped notch in a metal bit on my left (from my perspective), and a wire in my
    > right. The wire is "supposed" to seat into the notch (I think). I can squeeze the notch towards
    > the wire. But, I find that I can't find a section of wire of a narrow enough diameter to fit into
    > the notch. There's sort of a "sleeve" over part of the cable, and pushing this around still
    > doesn't seem to give me the right section of wire. I don't want to force it, because I'm concerned
    > about damaging the cabling. I read the manual, but, it wasn't very helpful (it only says something
    > vague like "reconnect this cable")
    >
    > I have a stock Trek 4100. I'd very much appreciate it if someone would answer how to reconnect the
    > wire so my brakes will work when I ride.
    >
    > Gwen

    Its never a silly question! We all have to start somewhere :) Let us know how it turns out. ~CG

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 06:41:51 -0400, Gwen Morse wrote:

    > I thought I rememberd how I disconnected it, but, I obviously don't because I now can't get it to
    > RECONNECT.

    Let's be clear: you just took the wheel off and are now wanting to put it back on? You have the
    right idea - just pull it toward that U-shaped metal piece, and it'll snap down into the U part.
    (see http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/flattirebrakeqrsm.gif)

    It'll require some squeezing of the brakes for that bevelled part on the cable to make it to the
    u-shaped metal piece. It would only fit as easy as that picture if your wheel were completely off.
    Often the main problem is that your wheel isn't lined up correctly, and the brake won't close
    enough. Take the wheel loose, and make sure its all the way into the dropout and seated straight.

    And don't worry about pulling too hard to damage the cable - you probably pull MUCH harder during
    normal braking!

  8. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    I fixed it, and then I took my bike out for a spin around the park.

    Thanks to everyone for their help :).

    Gwen

  9. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    "Gwen Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I fixed it, and then I took my bike out for a spin around the park.
    >
    > Thanks to everyone for their help :).
    >
    > Gwen

    Oh and when you pull the quick release thingy apart, don't be like me and unscrew it all the way so
    all the pieces and springs fly all over the parking lot.

    Was cheap to replace, but a bit embarrassing!

    ~CG

  10. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

  11. William

    William Guest

    You got a lot of support here and its great to know there are no many great people on the
    newsgroups. I wont add anything other than you bought a Trek 4100, which tells me you probably
    got it from a bike shop. Take another posters advice and bring it to the shop where you bought
    it and have them explain/demonstrate how to do everything. I'm sure they will be more than happy
    to help you.