silly newbie question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by esoteric, Feb 1, 2006.

1. esoteric

esoteric New Member

I just recently got into the port of raod bikes. I had ridden mtn bikes for a few years but my brother had a road bike and got me to come over to the dark side :)

so here is my newbie question hopefully i dont get made fun of lol

So after my first few rides on my road bike ( i got a entry level bike, trek 1500) my rump was more than sore. My brother suggested some road shorts, and they were great at first. Then i got saddle sores. A fellow rider who i know threw a friend suggested chamois cream. The stuff works like magic. But now im browsing threw a few bike stores online and im seeing underwear padded and un-padded. My question is should i be wearing underwear? So far i have not been, ive just be slathering up the chamois with cream and sliding into them. I have had no comfort issues yet, but just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing something i shouldnt be. thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question :)

Tags:

2. Equus123

Equus123 New Member

no undies. it takes time for your skin to adapt to the new lifestyle and will be pretty darn sore at first. speaking from experience, 3 months after i bought my first road bike, i was still in excrutiating pain by the 35-45 min mark and switched to a different saddle with a cutout (Terry Butterfly CrMo). depending on your "down under parts", you can choose to replace your saddle with a different manufacturer, one with a cutout or gel cushion depending on your personal preference/comfort.

good luck to the precious pieces...

~E

3. cyclingcarve31

cyclingcarve31 New Member

Yeah you dont want to wear underwear, Reason being because the short/bibs and jersey are suppose to be form fitting, thats the idea. I wear padded bibs....usually it takes a while to break in a seat and call it your own. Give it time and you should be golden!

4. esoteric

esoteric New Member

Im def gonna look into a new saddle this season. Last year after way to much time on the bike i had to spend some time in the doc's office. I was leaning to one with a cut out.

5. John M

John M New Member

The bike underwear (padded or un-padded) that you see is intended for wearing under non-cycling shorts (regular clothing with no chamois). If you are wearing bike shorts, you don't need them. Sounds like your solution is working OK.

6. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Choose a saddle based on comfort before looks. After going for a flashy SLR costing £129, I found my ordinary looking £22 Velo ti to be the best seat my bum has ever met. I just re-upholstered it in cow leather and off went the SLR.

7. esoteric

esoteric New Member

I wasnt really looking at the cutout for style. After the doctors trip we figured out what casued my problem. We both feel i should ride a seat with a cutout. my lil brother has been for 2 years and loves it. Unfortunatley i need a pair of tights and a new helemt. They have to come before the seat as i only had 1 helemt and tight set and they both got ruined a few weeks back. we had a very warm saturday, the roads were dry and i couldnt resist. But i managed to hit ice and whipe myself right out. :) . ill take a look at the seats youve suggested this weekend when i hit the shop.