silly newbie question

esoteric

Jan 31, 2006
I just recently got into the port of raod bikes. I had ridden mtn bikes for a few years but my brother had a road bike and got me to come over to the dark side :)

so here is my newbie question hopefully i dont get made fun of lol

So after my first few rides on my road bike ( i got a entry level bike, trek 1500) my rump was more than sore. My brother suggested some road shorts, and they were great at first. Then i got saddle sores. A fellow rider who i know threw a friend suggested chamois cream. The stuff works like magic. But now im browsing threw a few bike stores online and im seeing underwear padded and un-padded. My question is should i be wearing underwear? So far i have not been, ive just be slathering up the chamois with cream and sliding into them. I have had no comfort issues yet, but just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing something i shouldnt be. thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question :)

no undies. it takes time for your skin to adapt to the new lifestyle and will be pretty darn sore at first. speaking from experience, 3 months after i bought my first road bike, i was still in excrutiating pain by the 35-45 min mark and switched to a different saddle with a cutout (Terry Butterfly CrMo). depending on your "down under parts", you can choose to replace your saddle with a different manufacturer, one with a cutout or gel cushion depending on your personal preference/comfort.

good luck to the precious pieces...

~E

Yeah you dont want to wear underwear, Reason being because the short/bibs and jersey are suppose to be form fitting, thats the idea. I wear padded bibs....usually it takes a while to break in a seat and call it your own. Give it time and you should be golden!

Im def gonna look into a new saddle this season. Last year after way to much time on the bike i had to spend some time in the doc's office. I was leaning to one with a cut out.

esoteric said:
I just recently got into the port of raod bikes. I had ridden mtn bikes for a few years but my brother had a road bike and got me to come over to the dark side :)

so here is my newbie question hopefully i dont get made fun of lol

So after my first few rides on my road bike ( i got a entry level bike, trek 1500) my rump was more than sore. My brother suggested some road shorts, and they were great at first. Then i got saddle sores. A fellow rider who i know threw a friend suggested chamois cream. The stuff works like magic. But now im browsing threw a few bike stores online and im seeing underwear padded and un-padded. My question is should i be wearing underwear? So far i have not been, ive just be slathering up the chamois with cream and sliding into them. I have had no comfort issues yet, but just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing something i shouldnt be. thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question :)

The bike underwear (padded or un-padded) that you see is intended for wearing under non-cycling shorts (regular clothing with no chamois). If you are wearing bike shorts, you don't need them. Sounds like your solution is working OK.

esoteric said:
Im def gonna look into a new saddle this season. Last year after way to much time on the bike i had to spend some time in the doc's office. I was leaning to one with a cut out.

Choose a saddle based on comfort before looks. After going for a flashy SLR costing £129, I found my ordinary looking £22 Velo ti to be the best seat my bum has ever met. I just re-upholstered it in cow leather and off went the SLR.

hd reynolds said:
Choose a saddle based on comfort before looks. After going for a flashy SLR costing £129, I found my ordinary looking £22 Velo ti to be the best seat my bum has ever met. I just re-upholstered it in cow leather and off went the SLR.
I wasnt really looking at the cutout for style. After the doctors trip we figured out what casued my problem. We both feel i should ride a seat with a cutout. my lil brother has been for 2 years and loves it. Unfortunatley i need a pair of tights and a new helemt. They have to come before the seat as i only had 1 helemt and tight set and they both got ruined a few weeks back. we had a very warm saturday, the roads were dry and i couldnt resist. But i managed to hit ice and whipe myself right out. :) . ill take a look at the seats youve suggested this weekend when i hit the shop.