Silly Q: MTB front hub on road bike

Rick Onanian

Guest
I think this is a silly question, but I guess I must ask
before I spend money: Is there any functional reason why I
shouldn't use a Deore front hub on a road bike wheel I'm
going to build?
--
Rick Onanian

Nope.

Some people will say that the better seals on a MTB hub will slow you down more than the seals on a road bike hub though. BS.

Eric St. Mary

Rick Onanian wrote:

> I think this is a silly question, but I guess I must ask
> before I spend money: Is there any functional reason why I
> shouldn't use a Deore front hub on a road bike wheel I'm
> going to build?

Yes, the Deore hub is a bit better sealed than the
corresponding "road" model, so it won't wear out as soon as
it is supposed to.

Otherwise, the only differences have to do with
marketing hype.

Sheldon "100=100" Brown +--------------------------------------------------
+
| Some of my brother's paintings may be seen at: |
| http://junila.com |
+--------------------------------------------------+ Harris
Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

In news:[email protected],
Rick Onanian <[email protected]> typed:
> I think this is a silly question, but I guess I must ask
> before I spend money: Is there any functional reason why I
> shouldn't use a Deore front hub on a road bike wheel I'm
> going to build?

Except for a nearly uncontrollable urge for your bike to
head for the dirt, I don't see a problem.

Mike

I've used Deore hubs on my road tourer ever since before
there were such things as mountain bikes

- -

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear
for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Oops, forgot ta add, Deore wasn't always an ATB component,
It got it's start as one of the few higher quality touring
component groups.

A little history: When ATB's first came around, touring
stuff was all they could use. Racing components were too
light and limited in gearing range. So all the early
production mountain frames were actually designed to accept
road touring componentry. And for a few, short years, we
actually had a fair share of the quality component market.

At least until ATB's became a species unto themselves. Then
we were shoved back down into the cellar again :-3(

- -

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
>I think this is a silly question, but I guess I must ask
>before I spend money: Is there any functional reason why I
>shouldn't use a Deore front hub on a road bike wheel I'm
>going to build?

You really want a hub dynamo.

[Seriously; no reason at all.]

Rick Onanian wrote:
> I think this is a silly question, but I guess I must ask
> before I spend money: Is there any functional reason why I
> shouldn't use a Deore front hub on a road bike wheel I'm
> going to build?

No reason at all. I had some wheels built in 1990 on Deore 6
speed (36 hole) hubs for my tourer. The rims were 700c Mavic
Module 3 CD or maybe Mach3 CD. The wheels have done over
6,000 loaded touring miles and probably another 4,000
unladen miles since they were first built. I used the bike
today. They have been absolutely fine for the tourer in all
sorts of conditions. The same bike also has a Deore headset
and 2003 model 9 speed rear mech.