silly question about Outlook Express (off topic)

Simon D

Guest
"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok,
>
> so this isn't about bikes, but about the newsgroup, and outlook express.
>
> If I view these threads on google groups, all of the threads and their
> replies are compact, and you can see how many replies each thread has.
>
> When I view the group in Outlook Express, it's a total mess. Instead of
> having a neat thread called e.g. Good bike shop with a little plus next
> it to show the replies, I get a vast list of messy replies like:
>
> Re: Clipless pedals and the world's stupidest man
>
> so if I want to see any other messages linked to the same thread I have to
> look through the list to find them, instead of them all being grouped
> together.
>
> Is there any way I can 'tidy up' the view?
>
> Apologies for the totally off topic question, and for my complete laziness
> in not digging out an Outlook Express group. Feel free to flame me alive
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>
> ---------
> http://jimpix.co.uk

View > Current View > tick "Group Messages by Conversation".

HTH

Ok,

so this isn't about bikes, but about the newsgroup, and outlook express.

If I view these threads on google groups, all of the threads and their
replies are compact, and you can see how many replies each thread has.

When I view the group in Outlook Express, it's a total mess. Instead of
having a neat thread called e.g. Good bike shop with a little plus next to
it to show the replies, I get a vast list of messy replies like:

Re: Clipless pedals and the world's stupidest man

so if I want to see any other messages linked to the same thread I have to
look through the list to find them, instead of them all being grouped
together.

Is there any way I can 'tidy up' the view?

Apologies for the totally off topic question, and for my complete laziness
in not digging out an Outlook Express group. Feel free to flame me alive

Thanks

Jim

---------
http://jimpix.co.uk

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
> I want to see any other messages linked to the same thread I
> have to look through the list to find them, instead of them all being
> grouped together.
>
> Is there any way I can 'tidy up' the view?

From the menus:

View | Current View > Group Messages By Conversation

HTH

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
and benefit.

Jim popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
> Ok,
>
> so this isn't about bikes, but about the newsgroup, and outlook
> express.
>
> If I view these threads on google groups, all of the threads and their
> replies are compact, and you can see how many replies each thread has.
>
> When I view the group in Outlook Express, it's a total mess. Instead
> of having a neat thread called e.g. Good bike shop with a little
> plus next to it to show the replies, I get a vast list of messy
> replies like:
>
> Re: Clipless pedals and the world's stupidest man
>
> so if I want to see any other messages linked to the same thread I
> have to look through the list to find them, instead of them all being
> grouped together.
>
> Is there any way I can 'tidy up' the view?
>
> Apologies for the totally off topic question, and for my complete
> laziness in not digging out an Outlook Express group. Feel free to
> flame me alive
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim
>
> ---------
> http://jimpix.co.uk

In OE click VIEW right at the top then click CURRENT VIEW .
make sure there is a tick in GROUP MESSAGES BY CONVERSATION

--
yours S

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:12:34 +0100, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>When I view the group in Outlook Express, it's a total mess.

Click this link:
<url:http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=newsreader&tg=dl-2001>

HTH :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:02:55 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>When I view the group in Outlook Express, it's a total mess.

>Click this link:
><url:http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=newsreader&tg=dl-2001>

I recommend the top option, Agent.

Far better than trying to make Lookout Express usable.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

in message <[email protected]>, Jim
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Ok,
>
> so this isn't about bikes, but about the newsgroup, and outlook
> express.
>
> If I view these threads on google groups, all of the threads and their
> replies are compact, and you can see how many replies each thread has.
>
> When I view the group in Outlook Express, it's a total mess. Instead
> of
> having a neat thread called e.g. Good bike shop with a little plus
> next to it to show the replies, I get a vast list of messy replies
> like:

This is because Outlook Express is an utterly **** newsreader. It's also
an utterly **** email client. Good newsreaders for Windows include
Microplanet Gravity, and Mozilla Thunderbird (which is also a good mail
client). Both are free.

<URL:http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/>
<URL:http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'

Simon Brooke wrote:

> This is because Outlook Express is an utterly **** newsreader.

It's not because of that, it's because the OP doesn't have it in the right
mode, that's all.

~PB