silly question but...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Temp3st, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    do you burn more calories when out on a really cold day?

    Tags:

  2. "Temp3st" <[email protected]>typed

    > do you burn more calories when out on a really cold day?

    Probably not if you're cycling :-( as the 'waste heat' soon warms you up :).

    If you stand at a bus stop shivering, you probably do. Shivering definitely burns calories, as does
    stamping feet. Swearing about the bus service will make no significant difference to overall caloric
    consumption[1]

    [1] Unless you can generate a *really* good belly laugh in a whole queueueueue of passengers...

  3. Temp3st wrote:

    > do you burn more calories when out on a really cold day?

    Yes - I've only ever bonked (no jokes please) on cold days.

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > Yes - I've only ever bonked (no jokes please) on cold days.

    Killjoy :)

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  5. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Zog The Undeniable must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Temp3st wrote:
    >
    >> do you burn more calories when out on a really cold day?
    >>

    > Yes - I've only ever bonked (no jokes please) on cold days.

    No way, this is just too much of a target demanding to be hit, is your other half an Eskimo?

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

  7. Colmcq

    Colmcq Guest

    >do you burn more calories when out on a really cold day?

    probably only until the point when you start to sweat.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Temp3st" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > do you burn more calories when out on a really cold day?

    I try not to argue with people who probably know better (e.g. Helen Vecht) but I believe you do:
    although the exercise creates heat there is enough windchill to take up some energy. I'm not sure
    how much. I definitely find that riding on a cold day without stoking up first will lead to
    disaster, whereas on a warm day it usually won't.

    I recall one trip home late at night in mid-December when it had turned really cold during the day;
    I was exhausted and shivering when I arrived home despite being a reasonably hardy sort (I once went
    for a walk in Copenhagen in the last week of December, in shirtsleeves, and short sleeves at that).

    So, I could be wrong, but I do get the impression that I am burning fuel keeping warm.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com