Silly question from a new rider

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Mark In Maine, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. I have recently come back to cycling after a 25 year hiatus. I have been getting into the swing with
    20-30 mile rides early morning (before breakfast) - and am feeling good. I expect to start doing
    some long rides on weekends soon. I am quite fair skinned, and burn easily - I was wondering how
    much protection you get from a cycling Jersey, or if I need to put sunscreen on under the jersey.

    Thanks for the help

    Mark

    To reply directly, do the logical thing to the address.

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mark in Maine wrote:

    > I am quite fair skinned, and burn easily - I was wondering how much protection you get from a
    > cycling Jersey, or if I need to put sunscreen on under the jersey.

    Some jerseys protect from the sun better than others. The ones using Coolmax Alta (or equivalent
    rebranded with some other name) typically have a UPF 40+ rating. I've never even received a tan when
    wearing one of these. Not so with some other jersey materials I've used.

    Performance Bike sells some inexpensive jerseys made of Coolmax Alta:

    http://www.performancebike.com/