Silly question from a new rider

Mark In Maine

Guest
I have recently come back to cycling after a 25 year hiatus. I have been getting into the swing with
20-30 mile rides early morning (before breakfast) - and am feeling good. I expect to start doing
some long rides on weekends soon. I am quite fair skinned, and burn easily - I was wondering how
much protection you get from a cycling Jersey, or if I need to put sunscreen on under the jersey.

Thanks for the help

Mark

To reply directly, do the logical thing to the address.

Mark in Maine wrote:

> I am quite fair skinned, and burn easily - I was wondering how much protection you get from a
> cycling Jersey, or if I need to put sunscreen on under the jersey.

Some jerseys protect from the sun better than others. The ones using Coolmax Alta (or equivalent
rebranded with some other name) typically have a UPF 40+ rating. I've never even received a tan when
wearing one of these. Not so with some other jersey materials I've used.

Performance Bike sells some inexpensive jerseys made of Coolmax Alta:

http://www.performancebike.com/