Silly question

Mark & Steven B

Guest
Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding drugs,
fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be well-tolerated, but
questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police? I know there is a
rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice to go there is not
friendly advice--it's an admonishment. I am active in a bunch of usenet groups, all unmoderated.
There's plenty of nonsense on all of them. I'm not suggesting that referring to rec.bicycles
marketplace isn't appropriate. It's the tone that I don't understand. Why is even a bit of spam more
upsetting than, say, chauvinististic goading?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police?

because:

rec.bicycles.tech

is the place for that.

> I know there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice
> to go there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment. I am active in a bunch of usenet
> groups, all unmoderated. There's plenty of nonsense on all of them. I'm not suggesting that
> referring to rec.bicycles marketplace isn't appropriate. It's the tone that I don't
> understand. Why is even a bit of spam more upsetting than, say, chauvinististic goading?

Because that stuff is boring. The other stuff is not boring.

Most of us come here to not be bored. Goading is fun. Reading a thread on the "best seatpost" for
the 100th time is not.

> Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police?

Read the faq. It explains how the different rec.bicycle. newsgroups should be used.

> I know there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice
> to go there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment.

Kinda. This newsgroup is not the place for FS or WTB ads.

> I am active in a bunch of usenet groups, all unmoderated. There's plenty of nonsense on all of
> them. I'm not suggesting that referring to rec.bicycles marketplace isn't appropriate. It's the
> tone that I don't understand. Why is even a bit of spam more upsetting than, say,
> chauvinististic goading?

Read the faq.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> > drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> > well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police?
>
> because:
>
> rec.bicycles.tech
>
> is the place for that.
>
> > I know there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the
> > advice to go there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment. I am active in a bunch of
> > usenet groups, all unmoderated. There's plenty of nonsense on all of them. I'm not
> > suggesting that referring to rec.bicycles marketplace isn't appropriate. It's the tone that
> > I don't understand. Why is even a bit of spam more upsetting than, say, chauvinististic
> > goading?
>
> Because that stuff is boring. The other stuff is not boring.
>
> Most of us come here to not be bored. Goading is fun. Reading a thread on the "best seatpost" for
> the 100th time is not.

I'll try to remember that.

Steve

--

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> > Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> > drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> > well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police?
>
> Read the faq. It explains how the different rec.bicycle. newsgroups should be used.
>
> > I know there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice
> > to go there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment.
>
> Kinda. This newsgroup is not the place for FS or WTB ads.
>
> > I am active in a bunch of usenet groups, all unmoderated. There's plenty of nonsense on all
> > of them. I'm not suggesting that referring to rec.bicycles marketplace isn't appropriate.
> > It's the tone that I don't understand. Why is even a bit of spam more upsetting than, say,
> > chauvinististic goading?
>
> Read the faq.
> -----------------

Could you point me in the direction of the faq?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

What the hell is wrong with you. Posting a question about posting a tech question? Didn't you read
the faq? This is a group for racing only, all of us are too good to reply to your nonsense, so what
will we do? Reply anyway and insult you as much as possible because we are all a bunch of sarcastic
assholes (well hung assholes that shave their ass cracks I must add). go kiss my donkey

Rope

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:51:50 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> Could you point me in the direction of the faq?

It gets posted every week. Sort by subject and look for FAQ.

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:51:50 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> > Could you point me in the direction of the faq?
>
> It gets posted every week. Sort by subject and look for FAQ.

Thanks--got it.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:

> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:51:50 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS wrote:
> > > Could you point me in the direction of the faq?
> >
> > It gets posted every week. Sort by subject and look for FAQ.
>
> Thanks--got it.
>
> Steve

OK, fair enough. Commercial posts not welcome here. I guess nastiness is not explicitly
prohibited.

Steve

> --
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police? I know
> there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice to go
> there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment.

Equipment questions and flames about 10t cogs should go to rec.bicycles.tech, which is full of
helpful, knowledgeable, and sometimes friendly advice. Attempts to buy/sell used chains, unique
Trimble Monocoque bicycles, and other **** should go to rec.bicycles.marketplace.

The attitude may be rude, but if it wasn't firm, people wouldn't respect the boundaries. To give
another example, a long time ago I used to read a photo newsgroup. The people there could ONLY talk
about equipment, there was only about one person interested in aesthetics, methods, ethics, etc. All
the other tools spewed about electronic gizmos or Kodak vs Fuji all day. Granted, Usenet is not a
visual medium, but it was like hanging out in a freaking camera store.

By comparison, RBR is refreshingly full of ****, uh, I mean useful information. Even though people
are always hollering about how it's changed since the Good Old Days, when we had to wait through
days of propagation delays to get updates on Coppi's lead in the Giro, etc.

Ben

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> By comparison, RBR is refreshingly full of ****, uh, I mean useful information. Even though people
> are always hollering about how it's changed since the Good Old Days, when we had to wait through
> days of propagation delays to get updates on Coppi's lead in the Giro, etc.

Coppi won the Giro? When? I missed that post. damn.

Hot tip for the next Tour: E. Merckx. He's been killing them so far.

cheers, Jeff

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or
not,
> rude or not regarding drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem
> to be well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police?

Because there are clear alternatives for tech and buy/sell questions. There is no
rec.bicycles.fatmasters yet.

And what I want to know is why, when I write "Please don't ask this here, ask in rec.bicycles.tech"
some jackass has to write back "Dude, get a life" Actually, on second thougt, I don't give a ****
what the jackasses think.

JT

PS -- The admonishment element is there because too many people are

learn what it's about.

It is just the culture that evolved. No single person is responsible for it, but there are a few
individuals that have a strong influence in that area.

What I really don't understand is why there is no other racing NG. I know many many people that
lurked here and then moved on. I am fairly certain that an alternative NG would do well if it could
just get started and gather enough inertia.

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police? I know
> there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice to go
> there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment. I am active in a bunch of usenet groups,
> all unmoderated. There's plenty of nonsense on all of them. I'm not suggesting that referring
> to rec.bicycles marketplace isn't appropriate. It's the tone that I don't understand. Why is
> even a bit of spam more upsetting than, say, chauvinististic goading?
>
> Steve
>
> --
> Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

I think the point is that off topic posts are generally welcomed if it has NOTHING to do with
cycling and yet articles that are just outside of the charter (bikes for sale, triathlon questions
etc.) will inspire very harsh flames about how this NG is for RACING ONLY, READ THE FAQ DAMN IT!

"Rope <-- Huh?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What the hell is wrong with you. Posting a question about posting a tech question? Didn't you read
> the faq? This is a group for racing only, all
of
> us are too good to reply to your nonsense, so what will we do? Reply
anyway
> and insult you as much as possible because we are all a bunch of sarcastic assholes (well hung
> assholes that shave their ass cracks I must add). go kiss my donkey
>
> Rope
>

> "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Why is it that in this ng, questions and comments, pertinent or not, rude or not regarding
> > drugs, fat masters, nationalities, attitudes, jersies, diet, training seem to be
> > well-tolerated, but questions about equipment seem to bring out the internet police? I know
> > there is a rec.bicycles.marketplace, but I get the distinct impression that the advice to go
> > there is not friendly advice--it's an admonishment. I am active in a bunch of usenet groups,
> > all unmoderated. There's plenty of nonsense on all of them. I'm not suggesting that
> > referring to rec.bicycles marketplace isn't appropriate. It's the tone that I don't
> > understand. Why is even a bit of spam more upsetting than, say, chauvinististic goading?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> > Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS Brooklyn, NY 718-258-5001 http://www.dentaltwins.com

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Could you point me in the direction of the faq?

If you read the group for a while or read the archives you'll get the idea. The location of the faq
is posted weekly, do a search on google.

-Amit

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think the point is that off topic posts are generally welcomed if it has NOTHING to do with
> cycling and yet articles that are just outside of the charter (bikes for sale, triathlon questions
> etc.) will inspire very harsh flames about how this NG is for RACING ONLY, READ THE FAQ DAMN IT!

It may seem that "off topic" posts dominate this newsgroup, but could you imagine the wasted
bandwidth if everyone wanting to sell their vintage Schwinn Varsity put it for sale here? Off topic
threads / posters can be dealt with in your killfile. Sale items are not as easy to deal with (if
they were allowed to proliferate)

my 2 cents

-T

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> >
> > Most of us come here to not be bored. Goading is fun. Reading a
thread on
> > the "best seatpost" for the 100th time is not.
>
> I'll try to remember that.

The first thing to remember is that Henry Chang is full of **** and does most of the goading under
his various pseudonyms such as Kurgan Gringioni. I hear that in person he is a real person, but on
the internet it is sometimes hard to tell.

yes it is asshole.

Nick Burns wrote:
> I think the point is that off topic posts are generally welcomed if it has NOTHING to do with
> cycling and yet articles that are just outside of the charter (bikes for sale, triathlon questions
> etc.) will inspire very harsh flames about how this NG is for RACING ONLY, READ THE FAQ DAMN IT!

Hey, this is usenet. You should see what they post on the dental newsgroup!

Steve

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>>
>>>Most of us come here to not be bored. Goading is fun. Reading a
>>
> thread on
>
>>>the "best seatpost" for the 100th time is not.
>>
>> I'll try to remember that.
>

> The first thing to remember is that Henry Chang is full of **** and does most of the goading under
> his various pseudonyms such as Kurgan Gringioni. I hear that in person he is a real person, but on
> the internet it is sometimes hard to tell.

I didn't know that. I respect what I've read of your posts--you can disagree on an issue
(eg. helmets) and remain civil and reasonable.

Best, Steve