Silly question?

bob

Guest
I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
unit.

Knowing little about MTB's (I've always been exclusively
commuter/road/tour) I don't even know if this is a silly or sensible
question. If it is possible, what forks would you recommend and about
how much would they cost? Would Ebay be my friend?

Ta very much
--
Geomannie

On 12/09/2007 20:56, bob said,
> I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> unit.

If the bike really is 20 years old (and I'm not sure that it can be)
then it's likely to have a 1" threaded headset rather than 1.1/8"
threadless. This alone would make it unlikely to be a candidate for
suspension. The other factor is that the frame geometry would be
severely compromised as suspension forks have a higher axle-to-crown
height than rigid forks of 20 years ago - basically the head tube would
be raised, giving a very slack head angle making it a right bugger to
steer, although it would be stable going downhill in a straight line!

TBH, your best bet is to buy a 2006/2007 version of the Hardrock! Yo
should be able to get one for around £300, and you can then consign your
existing bike to a museum :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 12 Sep, 21:41, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 12/09/2007 20:56, bob said,
>
> > I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> > suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> > a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> > unit.

> If the bike really is 20 years old (and I'm not sure that it can be)
> then it's likely to have a 1" threaded headset rather than 1.1/8"
> threadless.

I just bought a Hard Rock which I was told was 20 years old.
Definitely a 1" headset, which looks rather odd on an MTB. I paid all
of £2.20 for it, as a source of cheap parts for another project. It's
actually still good to ride, so I haven't been able to bring myself to
strip it yet.

Rob

Paul Boyd <[email protected]>typed

> On 12/09/2007 20:56, bob said,
> > I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> > suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> > a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> > unit.

> If the bike really is 20 years old (and I'm not sure that it can be)
> then it's likely to have a 1" threaded headset rather than 1.1/8"
> threadless.

I had a Specialized Rockhopper in 1987 and there were Hardrocks around
at the time...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 12 Sep, 20:56, bob <downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk>
wrote:
> I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> unit.
>
> Knowing little about MTB's (I've always been exclusively
> commuter/road/tour) I don't even know if this is a silly or sensible
> question. If it is possible, what forks would you recommend and about
> how much would they cost? Would Ebay be my friend?
>
> Ta very much
> --
> Geomannie

As Paul says, you'll be a 1" headset probably and not designed for a
sus fork, you will end up with a frame that wants to steer on its own
as the forks "fall" to one side. I'm in a strange situation where I
started on a rigid, went through an array of forks, then to long
travel full sus, now back to short travel full sus and wouldnt be
overly put out if you took it off me and said I had to go back to
rigid, apart from long rides (15+ miles) when i feel the comfort
reduces fatigue. What im trying to say is dont jump to the "suspension
is best" wagon unless you do long rides and/or have problems with
control over really rough stuff on a regular basis.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On 12 Sep, 21:41, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 12/09/2007 20:56, bob said,
> >
> > > I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> > > suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> > > a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> > > unit.

> > If the bike really is 20 years old (and I'm not sure that it can be)
> > then it's likely to have a 1" threaded headset rather than 1.1/8"
> > threadless.

> I just bought a Hard Rock which I was told was 20 years old.
> Definitely a 1" headset, which looks rather odd on an MTB. I paid all
> of £2.20 for it, as a source of cheap parts for another project. It's
> actually still good to ride, so I haven't been able to bring myself to
> strip it yet.
>
> Rob

apparently doing a quick google specialized started making mountain
bikes in 83, so it could be that old, steel does last.

what sort of off roading are you doing? i think you'll find new forks is
not really a option.

but you could try some of the wider 2.5 or wider tires to take out some
of the hits offroad, if you have the clearance. fit some mudtires for
the winter slop.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

>what sort of off roading are you doing? i think you'll find new forks is
>not really a option.

Thanks folks. Your replies suggest that whilst possibly technically
possible the result would not be good. I have been using the MTB trails
in my local park which are not too difficult. I was considering tackling
some of the major Sevenstanes offroad routes in the Scottish Borders
where suspension would definitely be an advantage.

Cheers
--
Geomannie

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 12 Sep, 20:56, bob <downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> > suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> > a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> > unit.
> >
> > Knowing little about MTB's (I've always been exclusively
> > commuter/road/tour) I don't even know if this is a silly or sensible
> > question. If it is possible, what forks would you recommend and about
> > how much would they cost? Would Ebay be my friend?
> >
> > Ta very much
> > --
> > Geomannie

> As Paul says, you'll be a 1" headset probably and not designed for a
> sus fork, you will end up with a frame that wants to steer on its own
> as the forks "fall" to one side. I'm in a strange situation where I
> started on a rigid, went through an array of forks, then to long
> travel full sus, now back to short travel full sus and wouldnt be
> overly put out if you took it off me and said I had to go back to
> rigid, apart from long rides (15+ miles) when i feel the comfort
> reduces fatigue. What im trying to say is dont jump to the "suspension
> is best" wagon unless you do long rides and/or have problems with
> control over really rough stuff on a regular basis.

yes it's only recently, i bought a bike with front suspention, and yes
some of the rockly trails it does shine but on other stuff it adds
little, for light off roading my old rigid with marthons is fine.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

bob <downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk> wrote:

> >what sort of off roading are you doing? i think you'll find new forks is
> >not really a option.
> >

> Thanks folks. Your replies suggest that whilst possibly technically
> possible the result would not be good. I have been using the MTB trails
> in my local park which are not too difficult. I was considering tackling
> some of the major Sevenstanes offroad routes in the Scottish Borders
> where suspension would definitely be an advantage.
>
> Cheers

well it certinaly can be done, i used to ride my old ridgid though
everything, even the boulder gardens but it can be a punishing ride. if
it's just mud and such then fit some wide tires to take out the sting.

it's certinly possible it just might not be comftable depending on where
you ride.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

bob wrote:
> I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> unit.

a) It's always possible. A bike that age will probably havea 1"
threaded steerer, as has already been pointed out. There used to be
forks available for 1" threaded steerers, or at least you could buy a
threaded steerer to replace the usual threadless tube that normally
comes with most forks these days.

b) It's unlikely to benefit you much as a bike that wasn't designed for
forks can have it's geometry altered sufficiently, even by moderate
length forks, to make the handling too 'different' or 'unusual' to get
any actual riding benefit from them.

> Knowing little about MTB's (I've always been exclusively
> commuter/road/tour) I don't even know if this is a silly or sensible
> question. If it is possible, what forks would you recommend and about
> how much would they cost? Would Ebay be my friend?

FWIW I'd keep and enjoy the rigid for what it is and buy a newer bike
with front sus already built-in. This might be too expensive though.

I'd suggest a trawl round any local bike shops, see what they say and
also what they have available.

--
Paul - ***
ebay 140155728293 140157345402

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Paul Boyd <[email protected]>typed
>

> > On 12/09/2007 20:56, bob said,
> > > I have been greatly enjoying off-roading on my "new" (20 year old), no
> > > suspension, Specialized Hardrock. I was and was wondering if it would be
> > > a) possible or b) sensible to replace the front forks with a suspension
> > > unit.

> > If the bike really is 20 years old (and I'm not sure that it can be)
> > then it's likely to have a 1" threaded headset rather than 1.1/8"
> > threadless.

> I had a Specialized Rockhopper in 1987 and there were Hardrocks around
> at the time...

I've still got my Rockhopper from 1987 and am still using it, it's the
bike I usually use to commute now.
--
Cheers,
the.Mark