Silly questions about rollers from a beginner

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Rich8P, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Rich8P

Rich8P New Member

Hi,

So now I'm the proud owner of a new set of Tacx rollers. I've got them out of the box and put them together and you'd think it might be easy for an engineering graduate but....

Two rollers on the back wheel and one of the front, right?

One of the end rollers can be moved forward and backward, I assume to fit different bike sizes. Not of the settings makes the bike perfectly flat but the shortest setting means that the contact point, where the wheel hits the roller) is behind the centre of the roller and the longest (furthest forward setting) means that the contact point is in front the centre of the roller. Which is meant to be? What I'm asking is in which holes do I mount the adjustable roller.

I've got the whole thing next to a wall and my old mountain bike is ready incase I fall off them (don't want to damage my new Mavic wheels).

Anything else I should take into account.

Thanks

Rich

Tags:

2. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

The centre of the front single roller should be in a vertical line with the centre of your front wheel - so that the tyre sits right on top of the front roller (as close as you can get it to centre - doesn't have to be perfect). If the contact point is too far forward/behind centre, then it can get harder to handle riding on them.

When starting and stopping, make sure you have something secure to hold until you become accustomed to riding on them.

You will need smooth tyres, so perhaps MTB not such a good choice if running knobbies - also it will prob have a different wheelbase to your road bike, so you may need to adjust position of front roller when swapping bikes (a pain).

The faster you go, the more stable you will be. Don't steer with the bars, use your hips as you do normally on the road. Small and gentle movements. Pretty soon you'll wonder what all the fuss was about....

Enjoy!

3. Rich8P

Rich8P New Member

Thanks for the pointers.

I've started using the rollers with a mountainbike that's older than time! No clicks and smooth semi-slick tyres. As soon as I can stay on them smoothly, I'll widen the wheelbase and try with the road bike.

This is fun!