Silly rib experiment

Modom

Guest
D picked up a slab of pig ribs Saturday. She's been jonesing
for them for a week or more. I rubbed them with Gebhardt's
chili powder, nuoc mam, lime juice, and (a little silly)
pumpkin pie spice blend. They're in the smoker now.

The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half a
Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The store
was selling them for planters, but my little sledge (D calls
it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to slats of old,
whiskey-soaked, charred oak.

I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
something? Or just silly?

modom

"modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half
> a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The
> store was selling them for planters, but my little sledge
> (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to
> slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
>
> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
> something? Or just silly?
>
> modom

Mike,

You can get get JD barrell chips at the local Wally World
grilling section, leastways round here. General consensus is
that you might as well put straight oak in the coals.
Anything residual, flavor-wise, in the barrel parts
vaporizes fairly quick and with little flavor impact.

Jason

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:29:56 -0500, "Jason Tinling"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]... <snip>
>> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up
>> half a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood.
>> The store was selling them for planters, but my little
>> sledge (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced
>> mine to slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
>>
>> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
>> something? Or just silly?
>>
>> modom
>
>Mike,
>
>You can get get JD barrell chips at the local Wally World
>grilling section, leastways round here. General consensus
>is that you might as well put straight oak in the coals.
>Anything residual, flavor-wise, in the barrel parts
>vaporizes fairly quick and with little flavor impact.
>
>Jason

I'm sure you're right, but consider the karmic load in
that wood!

modom

In article <[email protected]>,
modom <[email protected]> wrote:

> D picked up a slab of pig ribs Saturday. She's been
> jonesing for them for a week or more. I rubbed them with
> Gebhardt's chili powder, nuoc mam, lime juice, and (a
> little silly) pumpkin pie spice blend. They're in the
> smoker now.
>
> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half
> a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The
> store was selling them for planters, but my little sledge
> (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to
> slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
>
> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
> something? Or just silly?

I dunno, it sounds like an okay idea to me.

I may be doing some ribs on the grill tonight as well. I
found two recipes for Thai green curry ribs. One recipe
called for braising them, but it's such a gorgeous day
(sunny, mid 60's--eat your hearts out!) here that the grill
is calling out to be used.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:40:22 GMT, Cindy Fuller
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>modom <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up
>> half a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood.
>> The store was selling them for planters, but my little
>> sledge (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced
>> mine to slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
>>
>> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
>> something? Or just silly?
>>
>I dunno, it sounds like an okay idea to me.
>
>I may be doing some ribs on the grill tonight as well. I
>found two recipes for Thai green curry ribs. One recipe
>called for braising them, but it's such a gorgeous day
>(sunny, mid 60's--eat your hearts out!) here that the grill
>is calling out to be used.

They turned out quite good. I made a sauce of frozen limeade
concentrate, a toasted California dried chile pod, a
cinnamon stick, some Gebhardt's, a few dashes of soy sauce,
a splash of balsamic vinegar, some pumpkin pie spice blend
(McCormick's), some lime juice, two cloves of garlic, and
water. After tearing the chile in pieces, I added it to a
cup or so of water. I added the other spices and ingredients
and simmered on low till the chile was soft. I used a wand
blender to pulverize the solids and blend them into the
liquid. The sauce was served on the side and never touched
the ribs while they were cooking.

The barrel wood cooked a bit hotter than I am used to, but
the meat didn't burn and after 5 1/2 hours they were very
tender and tasty. No whiskey taste, of course, but who
expected that?

Sides included cole slaw, bakers w/ butter, and another
jicama and orange salad.

What about your Thai curry ribs on the grill? We all need
to know all.

modom

modom wrote:

> D picked up a slab of pig ribs Saturday. She's been
> jonesing for them for a week or more. I rubbed them with
> Gebhardt's chili powder, nuoc mam, lime juice, and (a
> little silly) pumpkin pie spice blend. They're in the
> smoker now.
>
> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half
> a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The
> store was selling them for planters, but my little sledge
> (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to
> slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
>
> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
> something? Or just silly?
>
> modom

the used whiskey barrels from the US are often imported to
Scotland for brewing more whisky (and more beer, e.g. the
Innis and Gunn beer, see this: http://www.innisandgunn.com/
), so although there might not be much oak in your ribs, but
there might be something there that just can't be found in
normal oak.

Ada

In article <[email protected]>,
modom <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:40:22 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> >modom <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked
> >> up half a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as
> >> fire wood. The store was selling them for planters,
> >> but my little sledge (D calls it a Barbie sledge
> >> hammer) has reduced mine to slats of old, whiskey-
> >> soaked, charred oak.
> >>
> >> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
> >> something? Or just silly?
> >>
> >I dunno, it sounds like an okay idea to me.
> >
> >I may be doing some ribs on the grill tonight as well. I
> >found two recipes for Thai green curry ribs. One recipe
> >called for braising them, but it's such a gorgeous day
> >(sunny, mid 60's--eat your hearts out!) here that the
> >grill is calling out to be used.
>
> They turned out quite good. I made a sauce of frozen
> limeade concentrate, a toasted California dried chile pod,
> a cinnamon stick, some Gebhardt's, a few dashes of soy
> sauce, a splash of balsamic vinegar, some pumpkin pie
> spice blend (McCormick's), some lime juice, two cloves of
> garlic, and water. After tearing the chile in pieces, I
> added it to a cup or so of water. I added the other spices
> and ingredients and simmered on low till the chile was
> soft. I used a wand blender to pulverize the solids and
> blend them into the liquid. The sauce was served on the
> side and never touched the ribs while they were cooking.
>
> The barrel wood cooked a bit hotter than I am used to, but
> the meat didn't burn and after 5 1/2 hours they were very
> tender and tasty. No whiskey taste, of course, but who
> expected that?
>
> Sides included cole slaw, bakers w/ butter, and another
> jicama and orange salad.
>
> What about your Thai curry ribs on the grill? We all need
> to know all.

The green curry pesto wasn't bad. I should have gone after
the ribs with a scalpel--those suckers were mighty fatty.
(That's what you get when they're on sale for 99 cents a
pound.) I served them with jasmine rice and a stir-fry of
snap peas and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms.

Cindy