Silly rib experiment

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Modom, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Modom

    Modom Guest

    D picked up a slab of pig ribs Saturday. She's been jonesing
    for them for a week or more. I rubbed them with Gebhardt's
    chili powder, nuoc mam, lime juice, and (a little silly)
    pumpkin pie spice blend. They're in the smoker now.

    The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half a
    Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The store
    was selling them for planters, but my little sledge (D calls
    it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to slats of old,
    whiskey-soaked, charred oak.

    I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    something? Or just silly?

    modom
     
    Tags:


  2. "modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half
    > a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The
    > store was selling them for planters, but my little sledge
    > (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to
    > slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
    >
    > I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    > something? Or just silly?
    >
    > modom

    Mike,

    You can get get JD barrell chips at the local Wally World
    grilling section, leastways round here. General consensus is
    that you might as well put straight oak in the coals.
    Anything residual, flavor-wise, in the barrel parts
    vaporizes fairly quick and with little flavor impact.

    Jason
     
  3. Modom

    Modom Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 15:29:56 -0500, "Jason Tinling"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"modom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]... <snip>
    >> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up
    >> half a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood.
    >> The store was selling them for planters, but my little
    >> sledge (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced
    >> mine to slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
    >>
    >> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    >> something? Or just silly?
    >>
    >> modom
    >
    >Mike,
    >
    >You can get get JD barrell chips at the local Wally World
    >grilling section, leastways round here. General consensus
    >is that you might as well put straight oak in the coals.
    >Anything residual, flavor-wise, in the barrel parts
    >vaporizes fairly quick and with little flavor impact.
    >
    >Jason
    >
    I'm sure you're right, but consider the karmic load in
    that wood!

    modom
     
  4. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > D picked up a slab of pig ribs Saturday. She's been
    > jonesing for them for a week or more. I rubbed them with
    > Gebhardt's chili powder, nuoc mam, lime juice, and (a
    > little silly) pumpkin pie spice blend. They're in the
    > smoker now.
    >
    > The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half
    > a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The
    > store was selling them for planters, but my little sledge
    > (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to
    > slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
    >
    > I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    > something? Or just silly?
    >
    I dunno, it sounds like an okay idea to me.

    I may be doing some ribs on the grill tonight as well. I
    found two recipes for Thai green curry ribs. One recipe
    called for braising them, but it's such a gorgeous day
    (sunny, mid 60's--eat your hearts out!) here that the grill
    is calling out to be used.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me
     
  5. Modom

    Modom Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:40:22 GMT, Cindy Fuller
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up
    >> half a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood.
    >> The store was selling them for planters, but my little
    >> sledge (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced
    >> mine to slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
    >>
    >> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    >> something? Or just silly?
    >>
    >I dunno, it sounds like an okay idea to me.
    >
    >I may be doing some ribs on the grill tonight as well. I
    >found two recipes for Thai green curry ribs. One recipe
    >called for braising them, but it's such a gorgeous day
    >(sunny, mid 60's--eat your hearts out!) here that the grill
    >is calling out to be used.

    They turned out quite good. I made a sauce of frozen limeade
    concentrate, a toasted California dried chile pod, a
    cinnamon stick, some Gebhardt's, a few dashes of soy sauce,
    a splash of balsamic vinegar, some pumpkin pie spice blend
    (McCormick's), some lime juice, two cloves of garlic, and
    water. After tearing the chile in pieces, I added it to a
    cup or so of water. I added the other spices and ingredients
    and simmered on low till the chile was soft. I used a wand
    blender to pulverize the solids and blend them into the
    liquid. The sauce was served on the side and never touched
    the ribs while they were cooking.

    The barrel wood cooked a bit hotter than I am used to, but
    the meat didn't burn and after 5 1/2 hours they were very
    tender and tasty. No whiskey taste, of course, but who
    expected that?

    Sides included cole slaw, bakers w/ butter, and another
    jicama and orange salad.

    What about your Thai curry ribs on the grill? We all need
    to know all.

    modom
     
  6. Ada Ma

    Ada Ma Guest

    modom wrote:

    > D picked up a slab of pig ribs Saturday. She's been
    > jonesing for them for a week or more. I rubbed them with
    > Gebhardt's chili powder, nuoc mam, lime juice, and (a
    > little silly) pumpkin pie spice blend. They're in the
    > smoker now.
    >
    > The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked up half
    > a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as fire wood. The
    > store was selling them for planters, but my little sledge
    > (D calls it a Barbie sledge hammer) has reduced mine to
    > slats of old, whiskey-soaked, charred oak.
    >
    > I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    > something? Or just silly?
    >
    > modom

    the used whiskey barrels from the US are often imported to
    Scotland for brewing more whisky (and more beer, e.g. the
    Innis and Gunn beer, see this: http://www.innisandgunn.com/
    ), so although there might not be much oak in your ribs, but
    there might be something there that just can't be found in
    normal oak.

    Ada
     
  7. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    modom <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:40:22 GMT, Cindy Fuller
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > >modom <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The really silly part is that on impulse, I picked
    > >> up half a Jack Daniels' whiskey barrel to use as
    > >> fire wood. The store was selling them for planters,
    > >> but my little sledge (D calls it a Barbie sledge
    > >> hammer) has reduced mine to slats of old, whiskey-
    > >> soaked, charred oak.
    > >>
    > >> I'll smoke the ribs about 5 hours. Could I be on to
    > >> something? Or just silly?
    > >>
    > >I dunno, it sounds like an okay idea to me.
    > >
    > >I may be doing some ribs on the grill tonight as well. I
    > >found two recipes for Thai green curry ribs. One recipe
    > >called for braising them, but it's such a gorgeous day
    > >(sunny, mid 60's--eat your hearts out!) here that the
    > >grill is calling out to be used.
    >
    > They turned out quite good. I made a sauce of frozen
    > limeade concentrate, a toasted California dried chile pod,
    > a cinnamon stick, some Gebhardt's, a few dashes of soy
    > sauce, a splash of balsamic vinegar, some pumpkin pie
    > spice blend (McCormick's), some lime juice, two cloves of
    > garlic, and water. After tearing the chile in pieces, I
    > added it to a cup or so of water. I added the other spices
    > and ingredients and simmered on low till the chile was
    > soft. I used a wand blender to pulverize the solids and
    > blend them into the liquid. The sauce was served on the
    > side and never touched the ribs while they were cooking.
    >
    > The barrel wood cooked a bit hotter than I am used to, but
    > the meat didn't burn and after 5 1/2 hours they were very
    > tender and tasty. No whiskey taste, of course, but who
    > expected that?
    >
    > Sides included cole slaw, bakers w/ butter, and another
    > jicama and orange salad.
    >
    > What about your Thai curry ribs on the grill? We all need
    > to know all.
    >
    The green curry pesto wasn't bad. I should have gone after
    the ribs with a scalpel--those suckers were mighty fatty.
    (That's what you get when they're on sale for 99 cents a
    pound.) I served them with jasmine rice and a stir-fry of
    snap peas and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me
     
Loading...