Silver Tip-what is it?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Alan Calan, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Alan Calan

    Alan Calan Guest

    I've heard that a silver tip roast is a cut of sirloin steak. I think
    sirloin is not a kosher cut and silver tip is big with the kosher
    butchers.

    I have noticed that silver tip roasts are a cheaper cut of meat, so
    I'm thinking it might be a top round but I don't think round steak is
    kosher either. So, what is it and is it the same for all butchers?

    Wanna see some great prices, if you own the business, that is?

    http://www.citarella.com/default.asp

    I'd love to see their financial records. I'd bet that Citarella's is
    one very profitable business.

    This week, Waldbaum's, a local suoermarket, is selling Black Angus
    Whole Sirloin Tip roasts, USDA Choice...sold in cryovac for $2.49 a
    pound.

    Is that a silver tip?

    I've bought cryovac meat from Fairway and didn't like it because it
    had that flavor of meat that has been in plastic wrap too long. Have
    any of you found that too?

    Another question, lately some martkets are selling meat from
    Australia. What is you experience with that. It's usually cheaper.

    Tags:

  2. Alan Calan wrote:
    > I've heard that a silver tip roast is a cut of sirloin steak. I think
    > sirloin is not a kosher cut and silver tip is big with the kosher
    > butchers.
    >
    > I have noticed that silver tip roasts are a cheaper cut of meat, so
    > I'm thinking it might be a top round but I don't think round steak is
    > kosher either. So, what is it and is it the same for all butchers?
    >
    > Wanna see some great prices, if you own the business, that is?
    >
    > http://www.citarella.com/default.asp
    >
    > I'd love to see their financial records. I'd bet that Citarella's is
    > one very profitable business.
    >
    > This week, Waldbaum's, a local suoermarket, is selling Black Angus
    > Whole Sirloin Tip roasts, USDA Choice...sold in cryovac for $2.49 a
    > pound.
    >
    > Is that a silver tip?
    >
    > I've bought cryovac meat from Fairway and didn't like it because it
    > had that flavor of meat that has been in plastic wrap too long. Have
    > any of you found that too?
    >
    > Another question, lately some martkets are selling meat from
    > Australia. What is you experience with that. It's usually cheaper.

    sirloin is a difficult cut to make kosher because of the effort involved
    in removing the veins and nerves that are not kosher. It is possible,
    though IIRC.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/