Simano 105 Triple Adjustment Help?

cbjesseeNH

Jun 10, 2005
Not a MechE whiz here ...

When I stand on my bike on the trainer with gears on middle chainring and middle cog, I get a gnarling sound, seemingly from the front derailleur. I've twisted the cable adjustment knob on the headset back and forth but can't seem to eliminate the knashing sound. The churning noise is louder on the right side downstroke than the left.

What to adjust?

Thanks for the help. I could tune a Neuvo Record 25 years ago, but am behind on the new kit.

cbjesseeNH said:
Not a MechE whiz here ...

When I stand on my bike on the trainer with gears on middle chainring and middle cog, I get a gnarling sound, seemingly from the front derailleur. I've twisted the cable adjustment knob on the headset back and forth but can't seem to eliminate the knashing sound. The churning noise is louder on the right side downstroke than the left.

What to adjust?

Thanks for the help. I could tune a Neuvo Record 25 years ago, but am behind on the new kit.

Understand that you have a trim position of the FD brifter, basically half a click, not a full stroke. Play with it and you'll see what I mean. The flex is normal on the downstroke and more exaggerated due to the out-of-trim situation.