Simeoni wins Italian championship! Armstrong could not stop him this time.

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
Filippo Simeoni (Ceramiche Flaminia Bossini Docce) captured the men's road Italian National Championship on Sunday in Bergamo after 254.8 km including 13 laps with one trip per lap up the Colle Aperto. The rider from Milan finished ahead of Giovanni Visconti (Quick Step) and Filippo Pozzato (Liquigas).

The 37 year-old won with tenacity, determination and courage after he attacked with four kilometers to go. He quickly got 12 seconds over his former break companions.

I'd say he shows even more tenacity, etc., for staying with this sport after being treated as an outcast by many fellow cyclists and teams.

ilpirata said:
Filippo Simeoni (Ceramiche Flaminia Bossini Docce) captured the men's road Italian National Championship on Sunday in Bergamo after 254.8 km including 13 laps with one trip per lap up the Colle Aperto. The rider from Milan finished ahead of Giovanni Visconti (Quick Step) and Filippo Pozzato (Liquigas).

The 37 year-old won with tenacity, determination and courage after he attacked with four kilometers to go. He quickly got 12 seconds over his former break companions.

I'd say he shows even more tenacity, etc., for staying with this sport after being treated as an outcast by many fellow cyclists and teams.

Nice one.

This excellent victory was mentioned in another earlier thread but that thread crumbled into a playground fight between Lance believers and Lance haters.
I think it's great that a man who outspokenly insists that he doesn't dope has come back to win the Italian nats.

Rolfrae said:
This excellent victory was mentioned in another earlier thread but that thread crumbled into a playground fight between Lance believers and Lance haters.

I wonder why that happened. The thread title was "Hey Lance and his fans, suck on this:"...

huboon said:
I wonder why that happened. The thread title was "Hey Lance and his fans, suck on this:"...
Yea, I guess I should have titled it "Hey Lance, get off that skeleton..Oh that is your new girlfriend..sorry 'bout that..ANYWAY, check out what your old friend Simeoni did in Italy...I am sure that people will want to rationally discuss the issue, and any thoughts you have would be appreciated greatly."

I have never been good at headlines.

Nice to see an older rider win, especially against a quality field like the one you get at the Italian champs.

huboon said:
It's enlightening to revisit 2004 Stage 18:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/?id=results/stage18

I wonder how many clean riders thanked Lance.
"On his way to an unprecedented sixth Tour win, Armstrong's action today is hard to interpret. He explained that "I was protecting the interests of the peloton" to French TV after the stage and continued by saying, "The story of Simeoni is not a fair story...there's a long history there. All (journalists) want to write about is parts of the story. It's a long history...a guy like (Simeoni), all he wants to do is to destroy cycling...and for me, that's not correct. And I when I went back to the group they said 'chapeau'...thank you very much. Because they understand that (cycling) is their job and that they absolutely love it and they're committed to it and don't want somebody within their sport destroying it. So...for me it's no problem to go on the wheel, to follow the wheel."

It was not hard to interpret at all....that is the day I knew him to be the type of person undeserving of the accolades thrust upon him. He is a petty liar who deserves infamy not fame.

Maybe they could have a special addition to the award ceremony. They could have Ekimov come up to the podium and Simeoni could spit on him.

The thing I remember about Simeoni is carrying his bike accross the finish line during his Vuelta win...and then getting fined for it.

I never realised he was from my home region, Lazio. Good to have a rider who rides for a team from here that wins the maglia tricolore. Teach all those northerners... :p

ilpirata said:

ddff

Another casualty of cycling's insistence on sweeping doping out of view of the public.

Lance Armstrong - greatest coward in modern sports.

In case you were wondering if there was really any question as to why Simeoni wasn't invited, let's clear that up right now:

Giro director Angelo Zomegnan brushed off suggestions by Simeoni that his team was overlooked due to economic considerations, calling Simeoni’s gesture of returning the jersey as “media showboating.”

“The return of the jersey is a gesture of immense media spectacle,” Zomegnan told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “We gave Simeoni a chance. At Tirreno, he arrived a half-hour late and then did not finish while at San Remo he had seven hours to speak with Armstrong to clear this all up and he didn’t. This is not a way to live in a civilized system.”

By Tuesday, even the Italian professional riders association joined the fray, issuing a statement chastising Simeoni for criticizing them for not standing up for him.
(emphasis mine)

jimmypop said:
"...he had seven hours to speak with Armstrong to clear this all up and he didn’t..."
Wait a sec, this is new to me ! So the Giro Director admits, the reason why Simeoni was not invited (or part of it) is because of his old feud with LA ????

Jesus, ilpirata, please your Italian insider info needed here...

I really thought, Simeoni had been discarded because of bad results. But the above is simply shocking to me.

adamastor said:
Wait a sec, this is new to me ! So the Giro Director admits, the reason why Simeoni was not invited (or part of it) is because of his old feud with LA ????

Jesus, ilpirata, please your Italian insider info needed here...

I really thought, Simeoni had been discarded because of bad results. But the above is simply shocking to me.
He didn't go grovelling and apologetic to the "patron" of the peleton so no Giro.

To be fair to the Giro bosses Simeoni does suck, his team isn't that great either so they have a pretty solid arguement to say that Simeoni and his team didn't merit inclusion in the Giro. They really shouldn't have mentioned the Armstrong incident though........