Simon Mason

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I've just got back from checking out Simon's Bratwurst (oo-er). Thought I'd have a quick look around
    Simon's site and was immediately hooked by his accounts of increasing distance rides. Simon, thanks
    for a most entertaining hour or so. One or two things I feel I have to mention. Firstly, with
    regards to the knee problem. You have my sympathy as I have a similar problem with the rear of my
    right knee. Can't help feeling it might be useful to get some professional advice, both as to what
    the cause is and whether or not cycling great distances is a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing.
    Secondly, can you please let me know when you are planning trips out. I'm a bit of a fair weather
    cyclist and although I don't mind a bit of the wet stuff, you do seem to plan around impending
    floods ;-) If you haven't done it already, can I suggest that you get a racer style road bike for
    the longer road treks ? I came back into cycling on a quality 'cheap' mountainbike (hybrid?) and
    even though I changed the tyres to be more road friendly, when I bought a cheap second hand racing
    bike, the difference the narrower tyres and gears made, presumably along with the whole bike's
    geometry was incredible. You can pick decent one up for a lot less than £50 and I think they're well
    worth it. Can I also propose a competition amongst the other users of this ng ?...It involves trying
    to find the various bags of goodies that Simon has secreted about this fair country of ours for
    future use. Rather than disappearing with them and leaving Simon in the lurch next time he's out and
    in need of sustenance, merely open the bag, make a list of the contents, reseal and conceal, then
    inform Simon. Whoever discovers most by the end of 2003 wins..... a session in Simon's Sauna (tm),
    with a Bratwurst of your choice. I'm on a similar path to you with regards to cycling, Simon, seeing
    how far I can push myself and I only hope that I can continue with the same spirit that has carried
    you thusfar and continue to find it a stimulating and rewarding experience.

    Thanks again for a very entertaining series of accounts, very much appreciated.

    Dave.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D%[email protected]...
    > I've just got back from checking out Simon's Bratwurst (oo-er). Thought
    I'd
    > have a quick look around Simon's site and was immediately hooked by his accounts of increasing
    > distance rides. Simon, thanks for a most entertaining hour or so. One or two things I feel
    > have to mention.

    That's very kind of you to say so, Dave.

    > Firstly, with regards to the knee problem. You have my sympathy as I have
    > similar problem with the rear of my right knee. Can't help feeling it
    might
    > be useful to get some professional advice, both as to what the cause is
    and
    > whether or not cycling great distances is a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing.

    My seat was much too low when I first started cycling, but since then I've put it up a fair bit
    higher and have not suffered any more knee pain whatsoever . I also play 5 a side and do not get any
    knee pain from that.

    > Secondly, can you please let me know when you are planning trips out. I'm
    > bit of a fair weather cyclist and although I don't mind a bit of the wet stuff, you do seem to
    > plan around impending floods ;-)

    Yes, I was waiting for SW winds for some rides, unfortunately you tend to get serious downpours as
    an added bonus.

    > If you haven't done it already, can I suggest that you get a racer style road bike for the longer
    > road treks ? I came back into cycling on a
    quality
    > 'cheap' mountainbike (hybrid?) and even though I changed the tyres to be more road friendly, when
    > I bought a cheap second hand racing bike, the difference the narrower tyres and gears made,
    > presumably along with the whole bike's geometry was incredible. You can pick decent one up for a
    > lot less than £50 and I think they're well worth it.

    That bike ended it's life when our lass got knocked off it on a roundabout. I now have a 700 C
    wheeled hybrid with flat bars and bar ends. I much prefer it to a road bike as much of my riding
    includes gravel tracks, foreshores, railway embankments and the like. Too rough for a road bike.

    > Can I also propose a competition amongst the other users of this ng ?...It involves trying to find
    > the various bags of goodies that Simon has
    secreted
    > about this fair country of ours for future use. Rather than disappearing with them and leaving
    > Simon in the lurch next time he's out and in need of sustenance, merely open the bag, make a list
    > of the contents, reseal and conceal, then inform Simon.

    I drove down the Fosse Way last year and picked them all up. You don't
    think a Yorkshireman would let someone else get summat for nowt, do you!

    Whoever discovers most by the end of 2003
    > wins..... a session in Simon's Sauna (tm), with a Bratwurst of your
    choice.
    > I'm on a similar path to you with regards to cycling, Simon, seeing how
    far
    > I can push myself and I only hope that I can continue with the same spirit that has carried you
    > thusfar and continue to find it a stimulating and rewarding experience.

    I got a lot of my inspiration from the riders on this ng, who have had far more admirable exploits
    than me. Read Myra's stores at http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/. She was the main one who encouraged
    me (she also suggested I save my stories), as well as certain Audax riders (Dr Ward and Helen) whose
    exploits I admired. I also loved reading Kilgore's stories here
    http://www.kilgore.demon.co.uk/Html/Audax.htm and also this religious nutter who rode 10 000 miles
    around the USA with no money http://www.bikebrats.com/dirkhome.htm

    Also stories about 80 old blokes doing the Paris Brest Paris ride give everyone hope. Thanks
    again, Simon

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Just got back in from work, so please excuse the delay in responding (that's the beauty of ngs,
    right ?) ....

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D%[email protected]...
    > > I've just got back from checking out Simon's Bratwurst (oo-er). Thought
    > I'd
    > > have a quick look around Simon's site and was immediately hooked by his accounts of increasing
    > > distance rides. Simon, thanks for a most entertaining hour or so. One or two things I
    feel
    > > have to mention.
    >
    > That's very kind of you to say so, Dave.

    My pleasure :)

    > > Firstly, with regards to the knee problem. You have my sympathy as I
    have
    > > similar problem with the rear of my right knee. Can't help feeling it
    > might
    > > be useful to get some professional advice, both as to what the cause is
    > and
    > > whether or not cycling great distances is a 'good' thing or a 'bad'
    thing.

    > My seat was much too low when I first started cycling, but since then I've put it up a fair bit
    > higher and have not suffered any more knee pain whatsoever . I also play 5 a side and do not get
    > any knee pain from that.

    Excellent, good news!

    > > Secondly, can you please let me know when you are planning trips out.
    I'm
    > > bit of a fair weather cyclist and although I don't mind a bit of the wet stuff, you do seem to
    > > plan around impending floods ;-)
    >
    > Yes, I was waiting for SW winds for some rides, unfortunately you tend
    > get serious downpours as an added bonus.

    I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

    > > If you haven't done it already, can I suggest that you get a racer style road bike for the
    > > longer road treks ? I came back into cycling on a
    > quality
    > > 'cheap' mountainbike (hybrid?) and even though I changed the tyres to be more road friendly,
    > > when I bought a cheap second hand racing bike, the difference the narrower tyres and gears made,
    > > presumably along with the whole bike's geometry was incredible. You can pick decent one up for a
    lot
    > > less than £50 and I think they're well worth it.
    >
    > That bike ended it's life when our lass got knocked off it on a
    roundabout.
    > I now have a 700 C wheeled hybrid with flat bars and bar ends. I much
    prefer
    > it to a road bike as much of my riding includes gravel tracks, foreshores, railway embankments and
    > the like. Too rough for a road bike.

    Fair enough. Or are we getting into the realms of.....a bike for this, a bike for that...7 bikes
    later - Do you think I've got enough bikes yet, dear ? ;-)

    > > Can I also propose a competition amongst the other users of this ng
    ?...It
    > > involves trying to find the various bags of goodies that Simon has
    > secreted
    > > about this fair country of ours for future use. Rather than disappearing with them and leaving
    > > Simon in the lurch next time he's out and in need
    of
    > > sustenance, merely open the bag, make a list of the contents, reseal and conceal, then inform
    > > Simon.
    >
    > I drove down the Fosse Way last year and picked them all up. You don't
    > think a Yorkshireman would let someone else get summat for nowt, do you!

    Ha!...just my way of subtly checking to see if they were still there..not very subtle, eh?

    > Whoever discovers most by the end of 2003
    > > wins..... a session in Simon's Sauna (tm), with a Bratwurst of your
    > choice.
    > > I'm on a similar path to you with regards to cycling, Simon, seeing how
    > far
    > > I can push myself and I only hope that I can continue with the same
    spirit
    > > that has carried you thusfar and continue to find it a stimulating and rewarding experience.
    >
    > I got a lot of my inspiration from the riders on this ng, who have had far more admirable exploits
    > than me. Read Myra's stores at http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/. She was the main one who
    > encouraged me
    (she
    > also suggested I save my stories), as well as certain Audax riders (Dr
    Ward
    > and Helen) whose exploits I admired. I also loved reading Kilgore's
    stories
    > here http://www.kilgore.demon.co.uk/Html/Audax.htm and also this religious nutter who rode 10 000
    > miles around the USA with no money http://www.bikebrats.com/dirkhome.htm

    Many thanks, something to do tomorrow after I get back from work (or later today as it's just past
    midnight!)

    > Also stories about 80 old blokes doing the Paris Brest Paris ride give everyone hope.

    ahh, a target, maybe ?

    Thanks again,
    > Simon

    No, no, thank you!