Simon Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

I've just got back from checking out Simon's Bratwurst (oo-er). Thought I'd have a quick look around
Simon's site and was immediately hooked by his accounts of increasing distance rides. Simon, thanks
for a most entertaining hour or so. One or two things I feel I have to mention. Firstly, with
regards to the knee problem. You have my sympathy as I have a similar problem with the rear of my
right knee. Can't help feeling it might be useful to get some professional advice, both as to what
the cause is and whether or not cycling great distances is a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing.
Secondly, can you please let me know when you are planning trips out. I'm a bit of a fair weather
cyclist and although I don't mind a bit of the wet stuff, you do seem to plan around impending
floods ;-) If you haven't done it already, can I suggest that you get a racer style road bike for
the longer road treks ? I came back into cycling on a quality 'cheap' mountainbike (hybrid?) and
even though I changed the tyres to be more road friendly, when I bought a cheap second hand racing
bike, the difference the narrower tyres and gears made, presumably along with the whole bike's
geometry was incredible. You can pick decent one up for a lot less than £50 and I think they're well
worth it. Can I also propose a competition amongst the other users of this ng ?...It involves trying
to find the various bags of goodies that Simon has secreted about this fair country of ours for
future use. Rather than disappearing with them and leaving Simon in the lurch next time he's out and
in need of sustenance, merely open the bag, make a list of the contents, reseal and conceal, then
inform Simon. Whoever discovers most by the end of 2003 wins..... a session in Simon's Sauna (tm),
with a Bratwurst of your choice. I'm on a similar path to you with regards to cycling, Simon, seeing
how far I can push myself and I only hope that I can continue with the same spirit that has carried
you thusfar and continue to find it a stimulating and rewarding experience.

Thanks again for a very entertaining series of accounts, very much appreciated.

Dave.

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D%[email protected]...
> I've just got back from checking out Simon's Bratwurst (oo-er). Thought
I'd
> have a quick look around Simon's site and was immediately hooked by his accounts of increasing
> distance rides. Simon, thanks for a most entertaining hour or so. One or two things I feel
I
> have to mention.

That's very kind of you to say so, Dave.

> Firstly, with regards to the knee problem. You have my sympathy as I have
a
> similar problem with the rear of my right knee. Can't help feeling it
might
> be useful to get some professional advice, both as to what the cause is
and
> whether or not cycling great distances is a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing.

My seat was much too low when I first started cycling, but since then I've put it up a fair bit
higher and have not suffered any more knee pain whatsoever . I also play 5 a side and do not get any
knee pain from that.

> Secondly, can you please let me know when you are planning trips out. I'm
a
> bit of a fair weather cyclist and although I don't mind a bit of the wet stuff, you do seem to
> plan around impending floods ;-)

Yes, I was waiting for SW winds for some rides, unfortunately you tend to get serious downpours as
an added bonus.

> If you haven't done it already, can I suggest that you get a racer style road bike for the longer
> road treks ? I came back into cycling on a
quality
> 'cheap' mountainbike (hybrid?) and even though I changed the tyres to be more road friendly, when
> I bought a cheap second hand racing bike, the difference the narrower tyres and gears made,
> presumably along with the whole bike's geometry was incredible. You can pick decent one up for a
> lot less than £50 and I think they're well worth it.

That bike ended it's life when our lass got knocked off it on a roundabout. I now have a 700 C
wheeled hybrid with flat bars and bar ends. I much prefer it to a road bike as much of my riding
includes gravel tracks, foreshores, railway embankments and the like. Too rough for a road bike.

> Can I also propose a competition amongst the other users of this ng ?...It involves trying to find
> the various bags of goodies that Simon has
secreted
> about this fair country of ours for future use. Rather than disappearing with them and leaving
> Simon in the lurch next time he's out and in need of sustenance, merely open the bag, make a list
> of the contents, reseal and conceal, then inform Simon.

I drove down the Fosse Way last year and picked them all up. You don't
think a Yorkshireman would let someone else get summat for nowt, do you!

Whoever discovers most by the end of 2003
> wins..... a session in Simon's Sauna (tm), with a Bratwurst of your
choice.
> I'm on a similar path to you with regards to cycling, Simon, seeing how
far
> I can push myself and I only hope that I can continue with the same spirit that has carried you
> thusfar and continue to find it a stimulating and rewarding experience.

I got a lot of my inspiration from the riders on this ng, who have had far more admirable exploits
than me. Read Myra's stores at http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/. She was the main one who encouraged
me (she also suggested I save my stories), as well as certain Audax riders (Dr Ward and Helen) whose
exploits I admired. I also loved reading Kilgore's stories here
http://www.kilgore.demon.co.uk/Html/Audax.htm and also this religious nutter who rode 10 000 miles
around the USA with no money http://www.bikebrats.com/dirkhome.htm

Also stories about 80 old blokes doing the Paris Brest Paris ride give everyone hope. Thanks
again, Simon

Just got back in from work, so please excuse the delay in responding (that's the beauty of ngs,
right ?) ....

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D%[email protected]...
> > I've just got back from checking out Simon's Bratwurst (oo-er). Thought
> I'd
> > have a quick look around Simon's site and was immediately hooked by his accounts of increasing
> > distance rides. Simon, thanks for a most entertaining hour or so. One or two things I
feel
> I
> > have to mention.
>
> That's very kind of you to say so, Dave.

My pleasure :)

>
> > Firstly, with regards to the knee problem. You have my sympathy as I
have
> a
> > similar problem with the rear of my right knee. Can't help feeling it
> might
> > be useful to get some professional advice, both as to what the cause is
> and
> > whether or not cycling great distances is a 'good' thing or a 'bad'
thing.
>
> My seat was much too low when I first started cycling, but since then I've put it up a fair bit
> higher and have not suffered any more knee pain whatsoever . I also play 5 a side and do not get
> any knee pain from that.

Excellent, good news!

>
> > Secondly, can you please let me know when you are planning trips out.
I'm
> a
> > bit of a fair weather cyclist and although I don't mind a bit of the wet stuff, you do seem to
> > plan around impending floods ;-)
>
> Yes, I was waiting for SW winds for some rides, unfortunately you tend
to
> get serious downpours as an added bonus.
>

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

> > If you haven't done it already, can I suggest that you get a racer style road bike for the
> > longer road treks ? I came back into cycling on a
> quality
> > 'cheap' mountainbike (hybrid?) and even though I changed the tyres to be more road friendly,
> > when I bought a cheap second hand racing bike, the difference the narrower tyres and gears made,
> > presumably along with the whole bike's geometry was incredible. You can pick decent one up for a
lot
> > less than £50 and I think they're well worth it.
>
> That bike ended it's life when our lass got knocked off it on a
roundabout.
> I now have a 700 C wheeled hybrid with flat bars and bar ends. I much
prefer
> it to a road bike as much of my riding includes gravel tracks, foreshores, railway embankments and
> the like. Too rough for a road bike.

Fair enough. Or are we getting into the realms of.....a bike for this, a bike for that...7 bikes
later - Do you think I've got enough bikes yet, dear ? ;-)

>
> > Can I also propose a competition amongst the other users of this ng
?...It
> > involves trying to find the various bags of goodies that Simon has
> secreted
> > about this fair country of ours for future use. Rather than disappearing with them and leaving
> > Simon in the lurch next time he's out and in need
of
> > sustenance, merely open the bag, make a list of the contents, reseal and conceal, then inform
> > Simon.
>
> I drove down the Fosse Way last year and picked them all up. You don't
> think a Yorkshireman would let someone else get summat for nowt, do you!
>
Ha!...just my way of subtly checking to see if they were still there..not very subtle, eh?

>
> Whoever discovers most by the end of 2003
> > wins..... a session in Simon's Sauna (tm), with a Bratwurst of your
> choice.
> > I'm on a similar path to you with regards to cycling, Simon, seeing how
> far
> > I can push myself and I only hope that I can continue with the same
spirit
> > that has carried you thusfar and continue to find it a stimulating and rewarding experience.
>
> I got a lot of my inspiration from the riders on this ng, who have had far more admirable exploits
> than me. Read Myra's stores at http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/. She was the main one who
> encouraged me
(she
> also suggested I save my stories), as well as certain Audax riders (Dr
Ward
> and Helen) whose exploits I admired. I also loved reading Kilgore's
stories
> here http://www.kilgore.demon.co.uk/Html/Audax.htm and also this religious nutter who rode 10 000
> miles around the USA with no money http://www.bikebrats.com/dirkhome.htm
>
Many thanks, something to do tomorrow after I get back from work (or later today as it's just past
midnight!)
>
> Also stories about 80 old blokes doing the Paris Brest Paris ride give everyone hope.

ahh, a target, maybe ?

Thanks again,
> Simon

No, no, thank you!
>
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.