Simoni Challenges Armstrong

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tom Paterson, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > I predict It won't work out that way (cooperation vs. LANCE).
    >
    > They'll ride against each other, trying to protect their minor placings. The TdF is such a big
    > deal that the directors will not risk losing GC spots reaching for the pie-in-the-sky, especially
    > trying to beat their head against the wall in the strong support team that you mention.
    >
    > Even ONCE wouldn't attack, trying to set up a teamate, competing teams will be infinitely less
    > likely to cooperate.

    Good analysis. The fact that they're talking about ganging up on Armstrong is also a concession
    that none of them match up well alone against him. They sound like a bunch of fattie masters
    talking about how they're going to gang up on Kent Bostick at nationals. Been there, done that. It
    didn't work.

    Bret

  2. Dan

    Dan Guest

    [email protected] (Malte Lewan Neelsen) wrote in message
    news:<1fwb52y.1chxdavib0gjkN%[email protected]>...

    > (ONCE-Eroski also had three strong riders last year.)

    And they still lost.

  3. [email protected] (Malte Lewan Neelsen) wrote in message
    news:<1fwb52y.1chxdavib0gjkN%[email protected]>...
    > Heinz Getzler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > [email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Some factors to consider:
    > > >
    > > > Armstrong:Since Lance is the defending champion he has a big advantage.
    > >
    > > USPS team: With the addition of Beltran USPS will have a team that can defend against any
    > > attacks in the mountains. I really don't think there is any team that can challenge Lance in the
    > > mountains with his team. Like I said before Lances opponents only chance is to work together and
    > > to attack Lance.
    >
    > We shouln't emphasize the importance of the teams too much either. One strong rider can do a lot
    > of damage, however 'protected' the other team leaders may be. We all know how it looks in the end
    > of the most difficult mountain stages. Then it's man against man. Unless you have Heras at your
    > side. :) (ONCE-Eroski also had three strong riders last year.)

    Well it does it make a big difference if you have some domestiques in the top 10 GC. In the 1985 &
    1986 tdf Hinault and Lemond in 1st and second places. This gave them a incredible advantage. So
    losing the jersey for one day did not make a big difference for a single stage.