Simoni good talk or "the kisses of the misses"

On May 30, 6:31 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Finally an English-language interview with Gilberto Simoni that
> doesn't make him sound jealous and petty
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news
>
> "I wanted the Tre Cime but I'm happy with this one. The kisses of the
> misses and the flowers for my wife, that's better than just another
> third place in Milan."

Well, he does have to admit that he's coming to the end of his career
and since Cunego hasn't developed into the Merckx Killer he was
presented as when they were teammates, he can afford to be a little
more relaxed.

Simoni has raced well this and most previous Giros. His problem is
that he is an extreme climber and as such long tours are hard for him
to excel in.

[email protected] wrote:
> On May 30, 6:31 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Finally an English-language interview with Gilberto Simoni that
>> doesn't make him sound jealous and petty
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news
>>
>> "I wanted the Tre Cime but I'm happy with this one. The kisses of the
>> misses and the flowers for my wife, that's better than just another
>> third place in Milan."

> Well, he does have to admit that he's coming to the end of his career
> and since Cunego hasn't developed into the Merckx Killer he was
> presented as when they were teammates, he can afford to be a little
> more relaxed.
>
> Simoni has raced well this and most previous Giros. His problem is
> that he is an extreme climber and as such long tours are hard for him
> to excel in.

and really, what does the guy have left to prove at this point? he's won
the giro twice, been on the podium like three times, and won some of the
toughest mountain stages in all the grand tours, even if he never did
that well in the TDF like everyone said he would.

Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> even if he never did
> that well in the TDF like everyone said he would.

The reason people remember that is because everyone
wasn't saying it, only Gibo.

Bob Schwartz

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

> and really, what does the guy have left to prove at this point? he's won
> the giro twice, been on the podium like three times, and won some of the
> toughest mountain stages in all the grand tours, even if he never did
> that well in the TDF like everyone said he would.

I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday on the climb, not good enough to dominate on climbs in the Tour.

This estimation is based on his rate of vertical ascent of 1850 m/hr, assuming Crr = 0.5%, CdA = 0.3, air density = 1.08 kg/m^3, body mass = 60 kg, total mass = 69 kg, no wind.

The high rate of vertical ascent is because the climb is so steep, less is wasted in rolling resistance and wind resistance. But an in-form Tour winner would have been faster.

Dan

On May 31, 12:48 pm, Dan Connelly <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@y_a_h_o_o_._c_o_m>
wrote:
> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
> > and really, what does the guy have left to prove at this point? he's won
> > the giro twice, been on the podium like three times, and won some of the
> > toughest mountain stages in all the grand tours, even if he never did
> > that well in the TDF like everyone said he would.

> I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday on the climb, not good enough to dominate on climbs in the Tour.
>
> This estimation is based on his rate of vertical ascent of 1850 m/hr, assuming Crr = 0.5%, CdA = 0.3, air density = 1.08 kg/m^3, body mass = 60 kg, total mass = 69 kg, no wind.
>
> The high rate of vertical ascent is because the climb is so steep, less is wasted in rolling resistance and wind resistance. But an in-form Tour winner would have been faster.

Where's the damn Pantani when you really need him to show people how
to climb?

Dan Connelly wrote:

> I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday on the climb, not good enough to dominate on climbs in the Tour.
>
> This estimation is based on his rate of vertical ascent of 1850 m/hr, assuming Crr = 0.5%,
> CdA = 0.3, air density = 1.08 kg/m^3, body mass = 60 kg, total mass = 69 kg, no wind.
>
> The high rate of vertical ascent is because the climb is so steep, less is wasted in rolling
> resistance and wind resistance. But an in-form Tour winner would have been faster.

I don't think Landis was as good as that last year. Of course, not
everyone thinks of Landis as a Tour winner. I've seen Armstrong at
6.38 in the Alpe d'Huez TT, same as Mayo up the Mont Ventoux. Besides
them, only Pantani and probably Basso last year have done better than
Simoni, if estimations are correct.

Jenko

On Jun 1, 8:37 am, Jenko <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dan Connelly wrote:
>
> > I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday

> I don't think Landis was as good as that last year. Of course, not
> everyone thinks of Landis as a Tour winner. I've seen Armstrong at
> 6.38 in the Alpe d'Huez TT, same as Mayo up the Mont Ventoux. Besides
> them, only Pantani and probably Basso last year have done better than
> Simoni, if estimations are correct.

Isn't Piepoli is a couple of kgs lighter than Simoni? If so, then
Piepoli would have had a higher W/kg than Simoni, too.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 1, 8:37 am, Jenko <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dan Connelly wrote:
>>
>>> I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday

>> I don't think Landis was as good as that last year. Of course, not
>> everyone thinks of Landis as a Tour winner. I've seen Armstrong at
>> 6.38 in the Alpe d'Huez TT, same as Mayo up the Mont Ventoux. Besides
>> them, only Pantani and probably Basso last year have done better than
>> Simoni, if estimations are correct.

> Isn't Piepoli is a couple of kgs lighter than Simoni? If so, then
> Piepoli would have had a higher W/kg than Simoni, too.

Huh? If they were riding together, wouldn't that make their W/kg the
same? Ignoring air drag (maybe that's your point), climbing power
requirements are directly proportional to weight, so in a W/kg
calculation, the proportion cancels out, no?

Mark J.

On Jun 1, 5:21 pm, Mark <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > Isn't Piepoli is a couple of kgs lighter than Simoni? If so, then
> > Piepoli would have had a higher W/kg than Simoni, too.

> Huh? If they were riding together, wouldn't that make their W/kg the
> same? Ignoring air drag (maybe that's your point), climbing power
> requirements are directly proportional to weight, so in a W/kg
> calculation, the proportion cancels out, no?

Bike, shoes, clothing, and helmet must weigh about the same for the
two so, as a percentage of body weight, the lighter Piepoli had to
carry more "dead" weight.

In article <[email protected]>,
Jenko <[email protected]> wrote:
>Dan Connelly wrote:
>>
>> I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday on the climb, not good enough to dominate on climbs in the Tour.
>>
>> This estimation is based on his rate of vertical ascent of 1850 m/hr, assuming Crr = 0.5%,
>> CdA = 0.3, air density = 1.08 kg/m^3, body mass = 60 kg, total mass = 69 kg, no wind.
>>
>> The high rate of vertical ascent is because the climb is so steep, less is wasted in rolling
>> resistance and wind resistance. But an in-form Tour winner would have been faster.

>I don't think Landis was as good as that last year. Of course, not
>everyone thinks of Landis as a Tour winner. I've seen Armstrong at
>6.38 in the Alpe d'Huez TT, same as Mayo up the Mont Ventoux. Besides
>them, only Pantani and probably Basso last year have done better than
>Simoni, if estimations are correct.

Tom Danielson's Mt. Washington Hillclimb record is at or slightly
above 1850 m/hr if I did my math right. (49 mins, 1500m ).

_ Booker C. Bense

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>> even if he never did that well in the TDF like everyone said he would.

> The reason people remember that is because everyone
> wasn't saying it, only Gibo.
>
> Bob Schwartz

well, what's he supposed to say...it's all part of psyching out your
opponent. It's not like he's going to say, "oh geez, lance is going to
win... i may as well lie down and die in the alps." But it did seem the
tour wasn't his race for whatever reason. He did fine in the tour de
suisse, in the vuelta... i personally don't get up in arms about
bragging and trash talk. It's all part of the game.

Jenko wrote:
> Dan Connelly wrote:
>> I estimate he was 6.26 W/kg yesterday on the climb, not good enough to dominate on climbs in the Tour.
>>
>> This estimation is based on his rate of vertical ascent of 1850 m/hr, assuming Crr = 0.5%,
>> CdA = 0.3, air density = 1.08 kg/m^3, body mass = 60 kg, total mass = 69 kg, no wind.
>>
>> The high rate of vertical ascent is because the climb is so steep, less is wasted in rolling
>> resistance and wind resistance. But an in-form Tour winner would have been faster.

> I don't think Landis was as good as that last year. Of course, not
> everyone thinks of Landis as a Tour winner. I've seen Armstrong at
> 6.38 in the Alpe d'Huez TT, same as Mayo up the Mont Ventoux. Besides
> them, only Pantani and probably Basso last year have done better than
> Simoni, if estimations are correct.
>
> Jenko

i was pretty sure that had basso done the tour last year
(notwithstanding the dope) he'd have won the Alpe... for some reason,
italians seem to do well there.