Simoni is a world class a##clown

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, May 24, 2005.

1. bobke

bobke New Member

He's not a clown because he came in second.
    He is a world class a**clown because HE SAID the rest of the contenders don't attack and are a bunch of clowns. I guess he is forgetting the day Basso and Salvodellicatessan (is it one "s" or two BTW) dropped him on an uphill finish. Guess that wasnt an attack.

SIMONI said he didnt win perhaps because Cunego wasn't there for him on the last mountain stage. Ah, povero Gilberto!!

If Michael Jordan misses the last shot or has a bad game, does he blame Scotty Pippen. I dont think so.

Simoni may climb well--not nearly as well as Lance or Basso or probably even Lance's domestiques like Azevedo (ouch!)-- but this doesn't erase the fact that he is a big mouthed sore loser, which is too bad for him and the sport. but hey who cares about Simoni!?!?

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Who the hell is Michael Jordan and Scotty Pippen ?
    I've never heard of these people.

As regards your attitude to Simoni - he's two time Giro winner.
    Second place is a good result, it may not be the result that he wanted but it is a good result nonetheless.

3. bobke

bobke New Member

Yeah rite, you never heard of Mikeal Jordan. Good try home boy. Give us all a break and go back to your Guiness in Aireland. It would be , what,
    1:50 Am there when you posted that piece of blarney.

4. MJtje

MJtje New Member

LOL, that was funny. Serious Lim he may won 2 giro's, but he still can be an ass, right? I think after what he said about Cunego I think it proofs the point he IS an ass.....;)

5. musette

musette New Member

Simoni has, of course, been proven wrong as he did not, obviously, win this Giro as he said he would. The focus on lack of attacks by Simoni, apart from being untrue, also shows a fundamental lack of strategic understanding by Simoni of the way that Savoldelli races. Here are some reasons that Savoldelli does not attack on the mountains as much as Simoni might:

1) Obviously, at one point, Paolo became the maglia rosa. At that point, other people needed to attack him more, because they were trying to gain time on him.

2) Everybody knows Simoni is a stronger "pure" climber than Paolo. So, to the extent that attacks tend to happen on mountains for the GC contenders who cannot make breakaways on the flats, it would be strategically astute for Paolo to be careful with his frequency of attacks on the mountains. Bring into the mix that Rujano, another stronger "pure" climber than Paolo, is also in the mix and one understands why Paolo does not attack as much in the mountains.

3) Attacking in the mountains does not equate to victory. That is because there are also other disciplines, such as ITT, where Paolo is stronger and knows he is stronger than Simoni and Rujano. If Paolo knew, for example, that he was in the maglia rosa and knew that he could take some time from Simoni in the ITT last Friday, he was less "desperate" to attack in the mountains prior to the ITT.

4) Paolo had lost Danielson, his primary domestique in the mountains, to a knew injury. He was down another teammate Hesjdahl. The remaining teammates were not strong climbers. His team in the mountains was much weaker in the mountains than other teams. He was not working with mountain domestiques that Gibo had.

5) Paolo's riding style has been described by the rider himself as a "defensive" rider (Gazzetta newspaper, which sponsors the Giro). He has described himself as a normal/regular rider, whereas he sees LA as a great champion who can take chunks of time from his competitors.

6) Reduced attacking is consistent with DC's general strategy of relying on other teams who have aligned interests at any given point in a given stage, to address the limitations inherent in the DC team. For example, DC was relying on the strength of Di Luca or Basso or even Gibo's teams to control the peloton during climbing stages. Paolo would have reduced incentives to try and drop the very domestiques from other teams that he was relying on to control the race and/or any breakaway groups.

In many cases, Paolo wants the maglia rosa group to be slightly larger than under five riders. That is because the control of attackers could potentially be shared with other people in the group. Paolo then needs to only try and mark the few GC contenders.

I really appreciate Paolo, for using his brains and riding within his own limits on the penultimate stage. :p

6. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

I think he might just be pulling your leg - or do you not get irony? But then again, I think your examples of national stereotyping tells us a lot about you.

7. Dimos

Dimos New Member

Ok! If he's not a clown for coming second and he's an a##clown about his mouth, then grab a pen and any bike mag and start filling up a list.

About his complaints about the help he got from his team you can just see (or remember) the 2001 & 2003 Giros.

You can't compare basketball with cycling

And finally the results of the 2001 Giro (tell me who is first and who is fifth)
    Gilberto Simoni (Ita-Lam)
    Abraham Olano Manzano (Spa-Onc)
    Unai Osa Eizaguirre (Spa-Ban)
    Sergiy Honchar (Ukr-Liq)
    José Azevedo (Por-Onc)

8. MJtje

MJtje New Member

2001 is not 2004/5 is it? I also think Azevedo is an better rider........he rode FOR armstrong in 2004 and still finished 5th. Oh and that is a little harder then the giro, that is an understatement;) Azevedo is a little more allround.......but heej everyone had there opinion. I think the discussion is pretty dead.......some think he is an ass and others think he is not.......

And agreed there are probably more asses in the peloton, but the general view is that Simoni is a sore loser! Show some class and say delli did a great job without any teammates in the mountains and not say stuff like I could have won IF Cunego helped me. Too bad for Simoni that IFs don't count in sport!

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I don't know who Michael Jordan is.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I think that you and Musette and suburu, show yourselves up for what you are folks.

To get a podium spot on any grand tour takes great ability.
    That is the fact of the matter.
    Anyone with even a passing acquaintance with this sport, would know this to be true.
    More so, if any of you actually ever competed in a race.

I agree that Simoni's words were harsh and wrong but to simply write off second place in the Giro shows that either you lot haven't got a clue about the sport or you're so partisan that you cannot bring yourselves to acknowledge a very good cycling achievement, regardless.

The fact is that a rider has to be riding very well to get in to top 10 on GC in a grand tour, never mind a podium position.

11. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I don't find it hard to believe that someone in Ireland who doesn't follow basketball has never heard of him.

I don't follow basketball and I only recognize him from his commercials. I wouldn't know Scotty Pippin from Spiderman.

12. musette

musette New Member

limerickman -- Thanks for the compliment. I know I show myself to be among the most persuasive analysis-providers with respect to cycling. :p

Simoni is so pathetic, in saying he is going to beat LA in the Tour before and now that he would win the Giro this year. He should know that he has had USPS/DC prove his assertions re: beating USPS/DC riders completely wrong. Then Simoni is left with egg on his face! :D

13. MJtje

MJtje New Member

LIM WE AGREE! I think it is very good of Simoni to get second, although he did say he wanted to get first. That's why I argued that FOR Lampre it is not good.........same if lance gets second this year. No happy faces at disco......that IS NOT the result! Nonetheless that would be still good in the general publics view (although with lance different I think).

My only problem is that Simoni sometimes shows little sportmenship......that's all!

14. EoinC

EoinC New Member

I figure 2nd is pretty good going in the toughest Giro in recent history. I think a bit of self-promotion is to be expected amongst sportspeople. He possibly does it as much to push himself as he does to make a statement. I can forgive that. He certainly wouldn't be the first athlete in history to do that. Those of you who follow basketball and seem keen to throw it into the fray, can probably come up with numerous examples of players with mouths.
    At least Simoni is at a level where some of the things he says could conceivably happen. Whether they do or not is another matter. When it comes down to it, he probably doesn't lose too much sleep over whether or not you think that he is an ass.

15. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Not only do you need to brush up on your analysis skills, you need to check your reading glasses too.

I wasn't being complimentary - I was being critical of your analysis.
    (and before you reply, I know your use of the phrase "thanks for the compliment" was an attempt at irony).

Anyway, after the 24th July, I expect you'll have to lavish your "analysis" (read partisan, more like) on someone other than LA.

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

For sure, Simoni wouldn't be the first perosn, I'd go for a pint with - but that's life.
    I wouldn't go for a pint with a lot of the so called cycling stars of today.

But that doesn't take away the fact that a podium place or a top 10 place in a grand tour, is a great achievement.

On a subliminal note, all this comparison and equivalence to "what would Lance think/do/say", is really what is at issue.

A lot of posters here spend time contorting and steering issues back to Lance Armstrong or the TDF (botht he pro and anti, LA factions).
    I imagine that their hero doesn't spend an nth of the time these posters do,
    equivocating and comparing and analysing and attempting to navigate discussions.

There is a lot more to cycling than Lance Armstrong and/or the TDF.

17. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Any cyclist that is on the podium of any classic, grand tour , or the world's is a great cyclist. And if he is on the podium , for that one day race , week-long race , or 3 week race , he is one of the best cyclist at that given time.. A cyclist that wins a stage is a great cyclist on that particular day..... Personally . I think Zabel is the best cyclist in the last 8 years..... [ I favor sprinters }
    I always wonder why we expect our hero's to keep their ego's in check. We want our hero's to ride with passion and with out boundries, then we expect them to be humble off the bike. I do not get it. Indurain was a great cyclist, possibly one of the greatest , and in modern times many think he was the greatest. But he was rather boring. {He let his legs do the talking} . The Italians ????? Never boring.... Pantani ????/ Never boring. .... Cipo ????? Never boring. ..... Lance ???? Never boring.

18. MJtje

MJtje New Member

youre right........try tell the dutch press that about Boogerd. The eternally second, boogerd didn't win 'his' classic, boogerd is again to nervous, boogerd this boogerd that. That guy gets a hard time from the dutch press!

19. Teopas

Teopas New Member

yup, true. but also true is that he's married with an ex-miss holland, so I guess he doesn't really care much about newspapers when he gets home:D

20. vl1016

vl1016 New Member

I think Simoni is an optimist, not an ass. And, obviously, a hell of a rider. :)