Simoni is a world class a##clown

Who can argue with someone so beautiful? I read a few days ago on Gazetta dello Sport that Simoni upon being asked what he thinks about Basso says "I think he should slow down and leave something to somebody else". Admittedly he may have said this jokingly and I am reading too much into it, and may now be exagerating myself, but; In my opinion Basso did not contest the finishes with Piepoli, so he can not be considered a cannibal (a term used historically by the Italian press for winners who dominate excessively). Also, I have the memory of Simoni who has a 10 minute lead over Marco Pantani in 2003 giro at Cascate del Toce stage and three over his closest competitor, personally chase down an attempted breakaway by Pantani. As I have posted previously Simoni to his credit has regretted this move, felt badly about it and admitted to jealosy in regards to pantani. I think he however he can not help but say stupid things, and in this respect is always an interesting personality .

superdanuk said:
Simoni won the giro yes when it had a wekened field but in the tour hes never been a factor and that is why he has not got the respect that his climbing skills may deserve, his petulant attitude towards cunego when he won the giro really showed him for what he is

ilpirata said:
Who can argue with someone so beautiful? I read a few days ago on Gazetta dello Sport that Simoni upon being asked what he thinks about Basso says "I think he should slow down and leave something to somebody else". Admittedly he may have said this jokingly and I am reading too much into it, and may now be exagerating myself, but; In my opinion Basso did not contest the finishes with Piepoli, so he can not be considered a cannibal (a term used historically by the Italian press for winners who dominate excessively). Also, I have the memory of Simoni who has a 10 minute lead over Marco Pantani in 2003 giro at Cascate del Toce stage and three over his closest competitor, personally chase down an attempted breakaway by Pantani. As I have posted previously Simoni to his credit has regretted this move, felt badly about it and admitted to jealosy in regards to pantani. I think he however he can not help but say stupid things, and in this respect is always an interesting personality .
Just when you think Simoni is shaping up and stopped saying outlandish ridiculous things...

Well today when Simoni crossed the line he accused Basso of being an extraterrestrial, which is the same I would guess as saying he's doping. And on the day Basso confirms his overall victory and dedicates the win to his newborn son. And the day after CSC needlessly gifts a stage to Garate (Riis was furious)

Simoni really outdid himself this time.
Small words from a small person.

I felt that Basso riding him off his wheel after he told Gibo to stay together, was a bit of a cheap shot, if he didn't bring out that photo, it would have looked a lot worse than it did. Simoni's not afraid to speak his mind, and that's what I like about him.

Ullefan said:
I felt that Basso riding him off his wheel after he told Gibo to stay together, was a bit of a cheap shot, if he didn't bring out that photo, it would have looked a lot worse than it did. Simoni's not afraid to speak his mind, and that's what I like about him.

If you read what Basso's take on the conversation is, it reads a little differently to Simoni's

"...I told him it was better to arrive together at the flat section before the last climb, and then fight for the win..."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/giro06/?id=results/giro0620

People say things on the spur of the moment.

ilpirata said:
yeah but an interesting personality aint always a good personality!
Simoni always seems to praise younger riders who are doing well but also has to say something dodgy like what he said about basso been a 'extraterrestrial'' he did it with cunego now basso, his ego wont allow him to appreciate when a rider is simply better than him.

superdanuk said:
Simoni always seems to praise younger riders who are doing well but also has to say something dodgy like what he said about basso been a 'extraterrestrial'' he did it with cunego now basso, his ego wont allow him to appreciate when a rider is simply better than him.
Yes, but this interesting personality calling Basso an extraterrstrial (read doper) and suggesting Basso and he had talked about an exchange of money for the stage win Satruday is splattering a great winner with trashtalk. Let Basso have his day.
Simoni is the world's sorest loser and biggest mouth.

Agreed,
I find him over the years unable to lose sportingly. Now Basso admits infact to saying to Simoni, "let's stay together on the downhill and not take unnecessary risks". Which Simoni in his own mind may have taken to mean, "I am going to let you win the stage if you continue to cooperate with me" Of course on an incline like Aprica he is far superior to Simoni and Basso went on to win easily. You all may not have read the reports that Simoni now says (THIS IS REALLY INCREDIBLE EVEN FOR HIM) that Basso offered him money to let him win the stage. Basso calls this a complete fabrication. Simoni counters "Shall I reveal the sum?". Then later Simoni says of him "With some riders there is understanding even with a look, but with this guy? uh uh, no more, It is closed for good as far as I am concerned" Then Basso is asked if he has anything more to add? To which he responds, "I do not want let this stuff spoil this day"
I am inclined to believe Basso as I think most people are
superdanuk said:

bobke said:
Yes, but this interesting personality calling Basso an extraterrstrial (read doper) and suggesting Basso and he had talked about an exchange of money for the stage win Satruday is splattering a great winner with trashtalk. Let Basso have his day.
Simoni is the world's sorest loser and biggest mouth.
Can`t extraterrestrial just mean phenomenal? Why doper? If he would say something similar to doper, Basso would take it a lot more offensive.
Basso said:
I don't like to be called an extra-terrestrial or a phenomenon. I've been on the podium in the Tour de France twice and was the only rider who could stay with Armstrong on the climbs. Me and my team worked really hard to win this Giro d'Italia.

Virenque said:
Can`t extraterrestrial just mean phenomenal? Why doper? If he would say something similar to doper, Basso would take it a lot more offensive.
OK, lets let it go, maybe extraterrestrial doesn't mean doper.
From another planet is the literal but in Italian I dont know.

Armstrong recalled being so happy the French were receiving his dominance in 1999 so well with superlatives in the press like "incroyable" "superman" "riding at a whole other level" until someone who spke French informed them that it was all sarcasm and innuendo!! har har :)

But why in the world would Basso NEED to offer money to Simoni any time since he can ride him off on the flats or a climb?
Incredible!

bobke said:
OK, lets let it go, maybe extraterrestrial doesn't mean doper.
From another planet is the literal but in Italian I dont know.

Armstrong recalled being so happy the French were receiving his dominance in 1999 so well with superlatives in the press like "incroyable" "superman" "riding at a whole other level" until someone who spke French informed them that it was all sarcasm and innuendo!! har har :)

But why in the world would Basso NEED to offer money to Simoni any time since he can ride him off on the flats or a climb?
Incredible!
Nobody knows what was said between the two. Can't see why everyone is so keen to get on simoni's back. He is 34 yrs old and won 2 giro's. Thats not bad in my book. He says a few comments but he is allowed.

If Simoni hadn't had such a poor first week, I think that the Giro could have been a lot closer.

I thought Saunier Duval's performance this year (especially Piepoli's) was brilliant.

bobke said:
Incredible!

Are you clear that Basso ofered that Simoni would pay Basso money (not the other way around) in return for Basso letting Simoni win?

That was why Simoni was so insulted -- that Basso would suggest, according to Simoni, that Simoni would need to pay to be able to win.

I don't know whether Simoni or Basso is saying the truth, but one reason one could imagine (not with any factual support) may be that Basso suddenly needs a substantial amount of money for a reason that he cannot use sponsor funds for and that had not been budgeted for by Riis.

Why would Simoni do that and make such a serious allegation just to claim attention? The Italian cycling authorities are investigating this. Although I also do not see Basso making such a direct offer to Simoni. If Basso really wanted money, he could be much less direct than Simoni said he was. But on the other hand, Simoni would really have to have bad personal integrity to mar Basso's first GT win day like he has, if what Simoni claimed was untrue.

You know, i'm sure there's business between teams. Maybe these so-called "gifts" we see could actually be directions from the DS to allow a certain rider from a certain team to win, in exchange for monetary funds. Or alternatively, there are hidden alliances between big teams, a certain comaraderie for the transfer of riders.

limerickman said:
If Simoni hadn't had such a poor first week, I think that the Giro could have been a lot closer.

I thought Saunier Duval's performance this year (especially Piepoli's) was brilliant.
A lot closer but still huge win for Basso. Remember TTs.

limerickman said:

piepoli's always been a bit of an unsung rider, good to see him riding well.
siomini's class as a rider is never in doubt just his attitude stinks and especially when the italians find a new darling

musette said:
Are you clear that Basso ofered that Simoni would pay Basso money (not the other way around) in return for Basso letting Simoni win?

That was why Simoni was so insulted -- that Basso would suggest, according to Simoni, that Simoni would need to pay to be able to win.

I don't know whether Simoni or Basso is saying the truth, but one reason one could imagine (not with any factual support) may be that Basso suddenly needs a substantial amount of money for a reason that he cannot use sponsor funds for and that had not been budgeted for by Riis.
I'm crystal clear NOW that cyclingnews.com clarified the situation.
I stand by what I said a year ago.
Simoni is a world class #1 A--hole.
What he has done demeans the race, demeans Basso etc etc.

I dont think Basso needs any money BTW.
His stock has now skyrocketed and he will get sponsorship after sponsorship from his win. Speedplay, Cervelo etc will pay up big. Beyond that he now can do what Lance and Cipo did before him. Cars, espresso makers whatever, in addition to his salary which will be astonomical especially after he wins the TdF.

As Hampsten found out, he never had to pay for a meal or drink in Itlay again after he won the Giro.

But for Simoni to spit at Basso...I'm speechless.
Simoni is a classless piece of ****.

cyclingnews.com:
More polemics happened on Sunday morning between maglia rosa Basso and Gibo Simoni. At the sign-in at the Museo di Ghisallo in Magreglio, Simoni commented to the media about Basso, "I don't want to take anything away from (Basso). He won because he was the strongest and if I had won (in Aprica) it would have been a gift. But when we were descending (the Mortirolo), he asked me not to drop him on the descent. Then 5km from Aprica, (Basso) asked me for money to let me win the stage. I'm not used to asking for charity and I said no."

Just as Simoni finished his accusations, Basso showed up at the sign-in and resplendent in his pink tunic, tried to work things out with the bitter, biting Simoni by extending his hand to shake with Simoni, but the Saunier Duval man spit out to Basso, "I don't accept your excuses."

The surprised Basso turned to the media and explained, "It's true that I asked (Simoni) to stay with me on the descent, but the rest is all false." But Simoni wasn't backing off his allegations that Basso tried to sell him the stage, saying to Basso with his trademark cold smile "Do you want me to say how much you asked for?", and then turned his back on Basso and moved away.

Clearly agitated, Basso then said to the assembled media, "I'm just not going to let anything ruin my day today. I think I've shown all during this Giro that I am the strongest. As I said, I did ask Simoni to stay with me on the descent, but for the rest of his filthy words, they are absolutely false."