Simoni is a world class a##clown

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, May 24, 2005.

1. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Hehe that`s funny. He has his own bank account. So why wouldn`t he just take money for unexpected use from his account? Please don`t exaggerate!:)

2. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Why would I be kidding? Bravo for finding one example in the history of GT pro cycling.

3. ilpirata

ilpirata New Member

I agree with you Wicklow. It is very unlikely that Basso offered the stage to Simoni for money. Simoni has over the years shown some rather poor sportsmanship. There will be an inquiry by the Italian federation into Simoni's allegations, however, because if they were true, it would be serious enough. On the Domenica Sportiva sports roundup show televised Sunday evening, Simoni is a guest with Franco Ballerini (he directs and picks Italy's world cup cycling team). Simoni gets a scolding from Ballerini for his poor sportsmanship. Ballerini also brings up my earlier point about his behavior at Cascate del Toce, where he chases down Pantani who was not a threat to Simoni because that year and at that time Simoni had the giro well in hand. Simoni responds, " It is not the same thing, there were 10 cyclists there, and Frigo was also moving. It was not just me and Pantani." He goes on to say "I also have in my memory that at the stage of Madonna di Campiglio in 1999, I made a move to breakaway on a climb, in a year where Pantani was untouchable, and those in the group teased him as he was reabsorbed, saying "come on where did you actually think you were going?"

4. Rob81

Rob81 New Member

Basso's mistake was to "wait" Simoni on the Mortirolo..he could have passed alone at the top, so to show he was the stronger..being chased after few km descending to Monno and then do what he did in the finale. He was pedalling with ease, Simoni not so much.

The sad thing is Simoni talking about "not human" or "E.T." behaviour, so to insinuate doping....
    OT
    Simoni has short memory of his affairs...all dusted only because he's so close to Moser... he should shut up and eat his miracle "peruvian" candies his granma bought for him, LOL... peruvian-coca candies or belgian-pots :rolleyes: ?

5. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

maybe it was a joke, maybe it wasn't... Basso or CSC don't have to have a huge present need for money to request money for a stage win... if i have 10 cars and someone i know needs one, it doesn't mean i just give them one of my cars... i sell them the car at the going rate... it's just business... i don't need to have a need for money... just business...
    maybe it came from Riis... a little bonus... maybe not even for Basso but for some of the CSC domestiques... not saying it happened just that i have no reason to doubt it... it happens all the time. it is against the rules though the UCI has a rule against "colusion" between member of different teams.. have to maintain the integrity of the sport.. in this case it didn't really affect anything so i really couldn't care less.

6. Dimos

Dimos New Member

Sorry, but this quote comes in contradiction of his move to drop Simoni 4 Kms before the finish.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agreed :

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Some interesting views were expressed on Eurosport during the Giro.
    ES made the point throughout the Giro that CSC and Saunier actually worked together during the Giro.
    If you look at the stages, you can clearly see each team taking turns at the head of the peloton.

ES said that this alliance came about because Simoni and Basso were known to be on good terms anyhow.

8. Dimos

Dimos New Member

+1
    Buying and selling stagewins isn't unusual and it's almost a sort of the sport's traditions. Especially when the sums in question are mainly symbolic (eg the prime for the win for example). And we're talking about agreements on the run without "contracts".
    That Basso was the strongest (and will be in the Tour too ;) ) is undeniable. Even Simoni admitted it in many ways ("he could have dropped me in the Motrirolo as well").
    Basso had 3 good reasons to win: Riis was furious about Voigt not disputing the sprint the previous day, he was the best rider, for his newborn son. But as Simoni said for this last reason he could have told him in the 1st place.
    The fact is that Simoni wanted badly a win to icecake his performance and he worked hard for it for that he is utterly bittered. It would have been more fair if Basso wouldn't say anything on the descent (he didn't want to take unnecessary risks and it's rational, no that he couldn't have stayed with Gibo). You know when you're asking for something then you must give something back that's the idea. The second thing Basso needn't to do was to go for a public settlement of the dispute. Given that Simoni is a tempered man he should have tried to settle it behind the curtain.
    Don't try to compare Lance and Basso. When in the first place Ivan tried (at least) to reconcile with Simoni, Lance would have normally pissed on anybody that would have said something not flattering for him. In fact even now Basso just lets it fade out.
    And finally: Lance made a good thing for cycling. With his wins he got involved a lot of people in the US. What you should do know is try to learn something about the sport itself. There's no "the first is everything, the second is nothing" mentality here. Here we have "domestiques" or "gregarios" (i say it in Italian, too because if I had said it in French only I bet that there would have been a person accusing French people as losers :rolleyes: ), we have port-bidons, riders that are the same or even more happy if they will contribute to their leader's win. Something like Voigt did for example. Compare him with Hincapie's win last year in the TdF. So simple!

9. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

They defenitly did, but they won't anymore....

At the TdF Jan might have an extra domestique in the mountains...

I think Basso was a bit in the defense after admitting that he asked Gibo to stay together at the descent of the Mortirolo... Not a nice move to attack later...

But Gibo talks a lot, didn't get media training.

10. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Gibo looked very unhappy as they were climbing to the apex of the Mortirolo.
    He looked like a man who was very annoyed at something.
    It was obvious that they were jousting as the both tried to go for the finish line on the top of the Mortirolo.

Obviously something was said between Basso and Simoni because at the finish line (of stage 20) their entire body language looked confrontational.

11. Dimos

Dimos New Member

Don't count on that. Simoni would definetely not riding for Ullrich at the Tour. And surely Simoni is not enough communicative. :D But that's something that you either have it as a talent or you' re trying to develop.

12. musette

musette New Member

JU has more than one extra ally (let's not call Gibo a domestique) in the mountains to try and unsettle Basso. Last year, DC was fine to have Basso ride with LA because they knew LA would beat Basso in the GC in the end with his time-trialing and other things.

This year, DC doesn't have the top GC favorites for the Tour, and they will attack Basso and try to shed him more affirmatively in the final portion of climbs. DC has a number of riders who could be in the final group of 10-15 on climbs: Ace, Hincapie, Popo, Chechu. Maybe even Savo if he gets back to his usual climbing ability (which is not super, but still not bad). Given how dominant Basso is in the Giro climbs this year, DC may decide that cooperating with one or more of JU, Landis, Leipheimer and Gibo to unsettle Basso in the mountains is the way to go. And I think it is the way to go. Whether it's discussed or unspoken, some natural cooperation between TM and one or more of DC, Gibo, etc. is called for.

Just like DC and CSC found it mutually advantageous last year for LA and Basso to go up the final portions of certain climbs together. This year, I think DC, Gibo have to be more proactive. If they try and can't shed Basso one day, they should try again on the next major climb.

13. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

With Gibo you never know, it depends on how angry he is, and has LIM described earlier: Gibo looked really irritated (i saw that too).

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

DC are not in a position to be proactive in forming alliances at the TDF.
    DC are not a threat for this TDF :

This TDF is down to three teams : Phonak, TMO and CSC.
    I wager that DC could play a part in being the kingmaker for another cyclist/team.

But DC won't be made the King in this TDF.
    They don;t have the firepower to win overall on GC.

15. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

hmmm you're probebly right but i think Savoldelli could be a dangerous outsider for the podium (if Bruyneel let him...)

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I hope that Savoldelli has a good TDF : but I can't see him winning the TDF.

17. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

No i also don't think he will win, but MAYBE a podium spot. It will be a hard competition to get on the podium, Basso, Ullrich (JU and Basso are in my opinion the 2 main candidates to win the TdF), Vino (if he starts but i think he will..), Valverde, Landis and as outsiders maybe Savoldelli, Menchov (somehow i have a feeling that he could be stronger as many people think), Leipheimer...

18. DV1976

DV1976 New Member

As it was said, Basso should have let Simoni know that he would attack. The rest is comical... It seems Simoni is always looking to pick a fight with someone. For the last 2 year it's been Cunego now it's Basso.
    By the way what is way more comical than Simoni is the suggestion that Basso offered him the stage for money so that he could pay his PEDs...

19. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

i think Simoni has a bit of a reason to be angry... if i agreed not to attack the decent (Basso being a cautions decender) i would expect at the very least that Basso wouldn't attack on the final climb and would just leave it up to a sprint at the end if not giving the win to me... think that's what is going on..

20. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I hate to be a bitch but armstrong wasn't everyone's hero.