Simoni is a world class a##clown

I just rewatched the last part of stage 20.

As Gibo and Basso go under the 5km to go banner, it looks like Gibo initiates the conversation. I wonder waht he was asking? Will you give me the stage perhaps?

Now, RAI kept cutting from the 2 leaders to the chasing 2 for some reason, so you don't see if anything was said immediately before that and it cuts again and comes back after 5 seconds. You don't see much reaction from Gibo - maybe the realisation was sinking in.

wicklow200 said:
I just rewatched the last part of stage 20.

As Gibo and Basso go under the 5km to go banner, it looks like Gibo initiates the conversation. I wonder waht he was asking? Will you give me the stage perhaps?

Now, RAI kept cutting from the 2 leaders to the chasing 2 for some reason, so you don't see if anything was said immediately before that and it cuts again and comes back after 5 seconds. You don't see much reaction from Gibo - maybe the realisation was sinking in.

If you re-wind the tape a bit : take a look at the footage as they're approaching the top of the Mortirolo (the last 3kms before the top).
The camera focusses in on each riders expression : Simoni looks very unhappy.
And he's not unhappy due to cycling : he looks like he's frowning.

cyclingheroes said:
No i also don't think he will win, but MAYBE a podium spot. It will be a hard competition to get on the podium, Basso, Ullrich (JU and Basso are in my opinion the 2 main candidates to win the TdF), Vino (if he starts but i think he will..), Valverde, Landis and as outsiders maybe Savoldelli, Menchov (somehow i have a feeling that he could be stronger as many people think), Leipheimer...

It would be good if all these you mention are close in the tour to make it the most interesting for years.

I would love to see Valverde do something special but I wonder whether he has more than a couple of good stages in him - can he keep up his good form for three weeks. Same for Vino. He showed last year he was at least as good as LA on his good days but he lost serious time on his bad days.

There's also the change in fitness of riders. Surely Basso must have peaked for the Giro. Can he peak again in a month or will he be less than his best?

Savoldelli may well not have been at his peak in the Giro, maybe he has some improvement up his sleeve.

And I hope Ullrich is peaking a little earlier in LeTour than he has in the last two (although without the crashes last year he may well have displaced LA - if, if, if).

My main hope is that its not over too early.

mitosis said:
Savoldelli may well not have been at his peak in the Giro, maybe he has some improvement up his sleeve.
I didn't realize until recently that he had been suffering from allergies during the event -- Bruyneel was quoted as saying he could barely breathe on some of the ascents. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but it might give some indication of why he faltered when he looked strong in the early stages.

he did not have the climbing ability to win a giro like this. perhaps without the allergies he could have outwrestled Cunego for 4th. He should be happy with his two giro wins, as should Simoni. they are good riders,but they need a field without any.. how you say?.. extraterrestrials
rejobako said:
I didn't realize until recently that he had been suffering from allergies during the event -- Bruyneel was quoted as saying he could barely breathe on some of the ascents. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but it might give some indication of why he faltered when he looked strong in the early stages.

ilpirata said:
he did not have the climbing ability to win a giro like this. perhaps without the allergies he could have outwrestled Cunego for 4th. He should be happy with his two giro wins, as should Simoni. they are good riders,but they need a field without any.. how you say?.. extraterrestrials
I don't disagree there. I've always liked Savoldelli, but when I watch him race, I really can't figure out how he's managed to win two Giros, even considering that some of the premier riders were absent both years.

rejobako said:
I don't disagree there. I've always liked Savoldelli, but when I watch him race, I really can't figure out how he's managed to win two Giros, even considering that some of the premier riders were absent both years.
Who was absent last year?

ilpirata said:
so you are buying Simones stupid remarks?. He is nothing but a bitter man thowing all kinds of allegations around when his pride is hurt.

cyclingheroes said:
Who was absent last year?
Ullrich, Armstrong (no surprise there, of course:rolleyes: ), Vino, Menchov, and Heras, for example. In the meantime, I think Salvo should thank the gods of dysentery that Basso was taken ill in the middle stages. (I still think his refusal to quit in such circumstances, and his great stage finishes later in the race, say much about his mettle.)

cyclingheroes said:
Yeah Merckx was lucky that Fausto Coppi didn't start ....:D
LOL - Ah yes, the Italian - Belgian debate.

I'm not sure what rejobako meant. The most domanaint Giro riders in the last few years have been Simoni and Il Falco.

lw

rejobako said:
Ullrich, Armstrong (no surprise there, of course:rolleyes: ), Vino, Menchov, and Heras, for example. In the meantime, I think Salvo should thank the gods of dysentery that Basso was taken in the middle stages. (I still think his refusal to quit in such circumstances, and his great stage finishes later in the race, say much about his mettle.)
I see what you mean.

oh no Prano. I do not buy Simoni's comments at all, i am just borrowing his entertaining term, that many are expanding upon. I was merely expressing my opinion that there is a difference in talent between riders like Savoldelli, Simoni, Garzelli in there prime and riders like Basso, Pantani, Ullrich, Armstrong, and Indurain in there prime. The latter group proving themselves repeatedly on the certainly bigger stage of the tour de france.
Prano said:
so you are buying Simones stupid remarks?. He is nothing but a bitter man thowing all kinds of allegations around when his pride is hurt.

ilpirata said:
oh no Prano. I do not buy Simoni's comments at all, i am just borrowing his entertaining term, that many are expanding upon. I was merely expressing my opinion that there is a difference in talent between riders like Savoldelli, Simoni, Garzelli in there prime and riders like Basso, Pantani, Ullrich, Armstrong, and Indurain in there prime. The latter group proving themselves repeatedly on the certainly bigger stage of the tour de france.
Okay I'll buy that.. Even being bitter man, Simone is quite entertaining
icon7.gif

DV1976 said:
By the way what is way more comical than Simoni is the suggestion that Basso offered him the stage for money so that he could pay his PEDs...
How on earth, you have come in that conclusion? The wild guesses of other posts in a forum, are not declarations or facts.

rejobako said:
Ullrich, Armstrong (no surprise there, of course:rolleyes: ), Vino, Menchov, and Heras, for example. In the meantime, I think Salvo should thank the gods of dysentery that Basso was taken ill in the middle stages. (I still think his refusal to quit in such circumstances, and his great stage finishes later in the race, say much about his mettle.)
Menchov? Heras? Vino?
We have a saying here in Greece (probably something similar would exist in other countries, too): Only those who are idle don't make any mistakes.
So to blame Savoldelli and Simoni (and Garzelli and Gotti) because Jan, Lance or whoever else are dodging fight (for any reason) is unfair a 100%.
So if Lance didn't want to compromise his quest for his Tour record with riding the Giro, or if Jan only perceives Giro as a training ground it's their right.
Leave me, and others too, though, to admire Basso for wittingly ride both Tours, or Gibo and Savo for their respect to their national race.

PS Indurain was the last rider (pro-Basso) who wittingly too, rode both Tours for victory. Pantani in the 98 Tour rode anxious-free because he had already had won the Giro. He wasn't concerned enough about the Tour although he snatched the opportunity when he saw it.

Dimos said:
Menchov? Heras? Vino?
We have a saying here in Greece (probably something similar would exist in other countries, too): Only those who are idle don't make any mistakes.
So to blame Savoldelli and Simoni (and Garzelli and Gotti) because Jan, Lance or whoever else are dodging fight (for any reason) is unfair a 100%.
Don't misunderstand me -- I'm not "blaming" Salvoldelli for anything, and I admire his accomplishment in winning the Giro twice. I was simply remarking that, watching him ride, he has never struck me as a talent that should be capable of winning a Grand Tour, much less two of them. I did suggest a possible contributing factor -- that some premier riders were not present in the event. That's not an effort to criticize Salvoldelli --- it's just a fact. Good for him for winning that grueling event not once but twice.

Dimos said:
Menchov? Heras? Vino?
So if Lance didn't want to compromise his quest for his Tour record with riding the Giro, or if Jan only perceives Giro as a training ground it's their right.
Leave me, and others too, though, to admire Basso for wittingly ride both Tours, or Gibo and Savo for their respect to their national race..
Agreed. I think most of us agree with this.

Dimos said:
Pantani in the 98 Tour rode anxious-free because he had already had won the Giro.
This could be a positive factor for Basso this year.

lw

doctorSpoc said:
i think Simoni has a bit of a reason to be angry... if i agreed not to attack the decent (Basso being a cautions decender) i would expect at the very least that Basso wouldn't attack on the final climb and would just leave it up to a sprint at the end if not giving the win to me... think that's what is going on..
Simoni just retracted his comments about Basso in the giro, adding he never meant to attack Basso!!!!????
eek.gif