Simoni just can't stop talking

James Cagney

Guest
before the TOUR

The Italian climber Gilberto Simoni threw down the gauntlet to the Tour de France favourite Lance
Armstrong yesterday after rounding off a dominant victory in the Giro d'Italia for the second time
in three years. "I'd like to try and hammer away at Armstrong in the mountains, perhaps I can even
demolish him," Simoni said "He has never had to deal with a real climber before. The guys he has
beaten have been time-triallists. If he's caught out, perhaps he will panic."

"I'm a good climber and I'll try to cause Armstrong some problems in the mountains. "In the
four Tours Armstrong has won, he's always had an easy ride to Paris because he's never faced
real climbers.

But he said he would like to compete against Armstrong in the 2004 Giro. "I'd like to see Armstrong
ride the Giro d'Italia at least once to see what he can do," Simoni said. I'd like to see what he
could do on a steep climb like the Monte Zoncolan.

DURING THE TOUR

"Lance is wrong. I didn't underestimate the Tour de France," Simoni said."Unfortunately things went
wrong right from right from beginning of the race."When I said I wanted to try and win the Tour and
predicted that my Saeco team could win the team time trial, my determination and feelings were
real."Before the start I was convinced I could have won the Tour."

Armstrong said that I have no respect for other riders, but this is untrue. At the beginning of Tour
de France I declared my ambitions, my dreams. That's all. Anyway, Mr. Armstrong, we will face each
other again in the future, in the Tour de France or maybe the Giro d'Italia. Good night, he-man.

I give this guy respect, we went out on a limb and spoke his mind. But now that the reality has come
out, it is probably a good idea to stop talking smack. Yes Simoni, you did declare your dreams, now
stopping talking(dreaming) and just ride.

James Cagney wrote:

> before the TOUR
>
> The Italian climber Gilberto Simoni threw down the gauntlet to the Tour de France favourite Lance
> Armstrong yesterday after rounding off a dominant victory in the Giro d'Italia for the second time
> in three years. "I'd like to try and hammer away at Armstrong in the mountains, perhaps I can even
> demolish him," Simoni said "He has never had to deal with a real climber before. The guys he has
> beaten have been time-triallists. If he's caught out, perhaps he will panic."
>
> "I'm a good climber and I'll try to cause Armstrong some problems in the mountains. "In the four
> Tours Armstrong has won, he's always had an easy ride to Paris because he's never faced real
> climbers.
>
> But he said he would like to compete against Armstrong in the 2004 Giro. "I'd like to see
> Armstrong ride the Giro d'Italia at least once to see what he can do," Simoni said. I'd like to
> see what he could do on a steep climb like the Monte Zoncolan.
>
> DURING THE TOUR
>
> "Lance is wrong. I didn't underestimate the Tour de France," Simoni said."Unfortunately things
> went wrong right from right from beginning of the race."When I said I wanted to try and win the
> Tour and predicted that my Saeco team could win the team time trial, my determination and feelings
> were real."Before the start I was convinced I could have won the Tour."
>
> Armstrong said that I have no respect for other riders, but this is untrue. At the beginning of
> Tour de France I declared my ambitions, my dreams. That's all. Anyway, Mr. Armstrong, we will
> face each other again in the future, in the Tour de France or maybe the Giro d'Italia. Good
> night, he-man.
>
> I give this guy respect, we went out on a limb and spoke his mind. But now that the reality has
> come out, it is probably a good idea to stop talking smack. Yes Simoni, you did declare your
> dreams, now stopping talking(dreaming) and just ride.

Today, even the Letour commentator can't resist sarcasm:

(stage 13) "13 H 33 - Saeco Come To The Front Of Peloton There are now a few Saeco riders at the
front of the peloton. The Italian team's leader, Gilberto Simoni, was involved in a few escape
attempts early in today's stage, but the rider who claimed he was capable of challenging Armstrong
for the overall title (before the start of the race) failed to get clear. He now has four team-mates
at the front of the peloton."

His mouth might also explain why they wouldn't let him get away.