Simoni on Ullrich

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul12news

    One of Lance Armstrong's - and Simoni's - rivals who is sitting in good position is Jan Ullrich,
    whom Simoni sees as a genuine contender for a top place in this year's Tour. "First of all, he looks
    very good physically, but that's not what really impresses me," Simoni commented. "He seems to have
    an enormous desire, and he could have a few surprises for us."

    The last line is really the thing for me. Jan is the last holdover from the East German sports
    machine. You only did it for your country and team. Personal desires were not appropriate. Jan was
    young enough and bought into it big time. Sounds like maybe he want's it for himself, his family,
    AND his team this time. If you think about it, he has almost never had to make decisions for
    himself. This was discouraged. Maybe all the controversy and problems have forced him to break out
    and think about himself for once. If anyone needs to be more selfish it's Jan. Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    TritonRider wrote:
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jul03/jul12news
    >
    > One of Lance Armstrong's - and Simoni's - rivals who is sitting in good position is Jan Ullrich,
    > whom Simoni sees as a genuine contender for a top place in this year's Tour. "First of all, he
    > looks very good physically, but that's not what really impresses me," Simoni commented. "He seems
    > to have an enormous desire, and he could have a few surprises for us."

    It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can make a difference. If you don't
    have that "burning desire" to win the race six months before it starts, you're screwed.

    In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can without breaking, you don't even
    deserve to be in it.

  3. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: Raptor [email protected]

    >It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can make a difference. If you don't
    >have that "burning desire" to win the race six months before it starts, you're screwed.
    >
    >In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can without breaking, you don't even
    >deserve to be in it.
    >
    >--
    >--
    >Lynn Wallace

    Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle admits he was drunk on the field a
    lot of the time while he was building a hall of fame career. Talent is not the deciding factor a
    lot of times. There are an awful lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    obsessed competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the deciding factor at the top.
    One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm afraid to do what it takes to do
    what I love. I've had right knee surgery, right shoulder surgery, the other knee and shoulder are
    arthritic and sketchy, both arms have signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by training my
    ass of for fifteen years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of several methods)
    and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for cardio when I was cutting up. I
    wasn't winning bike races, but I was competitive in amatuer duathlon stuff. Got my ass kicked on
    the runs but was able to make it up in the TT phase. I have an awful lot of respect for the
    Masters racers who keep at it, knowing they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't
    seem to get over the hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best of what I used
    to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right to
    be in any race. They may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to have earned
    their way in. Bill C

  4. Daveg

    Daveg Guest

    > >From: Raptor [email protected]
    >
    > >It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can
    make
    > >a difference. If you don't have that "burning desire" to win the
    race
    > >six months before it starts, you're screwed.
    > >
    > >In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can
    without
    > >breaking, you don't even deserve to be in it.
    > >
    > >--
    > >--
    > >Lynn Wallace
    >
    > Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle
    admits he was
    > drunk on the field a lot of the time while he was building a hall of
    fame
    > career. Talent is not the deciding factor a lot of times. There are
    an awful
    > lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    obsessed
    > competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the deciding
    factor at
    > the top. One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm
    afraid to do
    > what it takes to do what I love. I've had right knee surgery, right
    shoulder
    > surgery, the other knee and shoulder are arthritic and sketchy, both
    arms have
    > signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by training my ass of
    for fifteen
    > years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of several
    methods)
    > and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for
    cardio when I
    > was cutting up. I wasn't winning bike races, but I was competitive in amatuer
    duathlon stuff.
    > Got my ass kicked on the runs but was able to make it up in the TT
    phase.
    > I have an awful lot of respect for the Masters racers who keep at
    it, knowing
    > they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't seem to get
    over the
    > hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best of
    what I used
    > to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right to
    > be in any
    race. They
    > may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to
    have earned
    > their way in. Bill C

    ???????? WoooooooSSSSSSSSSHhhhh!!

    You went tangentially OT there.....???? You quote a great article IMO,maybe Jan will cause some
    surprises. I'd welcome it from a spectator POV. I'm happy for LA to take his deserved 5th victory
    though. What's all this other stuff you're on about?

    DaveG.

  5. Daveg

    Daveg Guest

    > >From: Raptor [email protected]
    >
    > >It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can
    make
    > >a difference. If you don't have that "burning desire" to win the
    race
    > >six months before it starts, you're screwed.
    > >
    > >In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can
    without
    > >breaking, you don't even deserve to be in it.
    > >
    > >--
    > >--
    > >Lynn Wallace
    >
    > Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle
    admits he was
    > drunk on the field a lot of the time while he was building a hall of
    fame
    > career. Talent is not the deciding factor a lot of times. There are
    an awful
    > lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    obsessed
    > competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the deciding
    factor at
    > the top. One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm
    afraid to do
    > what it takes to do what I love. I've had right knee surgery, right
    shoulder
    > surgery, the other knee and shoulder are arthritic and sketchy, both
    arms have
    > signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by training my ass of
    for fifteen
    > years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of several
    methods)
    > and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for
    cardio when I
    > was cutting up. I wasn't winning bike races, but I was competitive in amatuer
    duathlon stuff.
    > Got my ass kicked on the runs but was able to make it up in the TT
    phase.
    > I have an awful lot of respect for the Masters racers who keep at
    it, knowing
    > they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't seem to get
    over the
    > hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best of
    what I used
    > to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right to
    > be in any
    race. They
    > may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to
    have earned
    > their way in. Bill C

    ???????? WoooooooSSSSSSSSSHhhhh!!

    You went tangentially OT there.....???? You quote a great article IMO,maybe Jan will cause some
    surprises. I'd welcome it from a spectator POV. I'm happy for LA to take his deserved 5th victory
    though. What's all this other stuff you're on about?

    DaveG.

  6. Daveg

    Daveg Guest

    > >From: Raptor [email protected]
    >
    > >It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can
    make
    > >a difference. If you don't have that "burning desire" to win the
    race
    > >six months before it starts, you're screwed.
    > >
    > >In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can
    without
    > >breaking, you don't even deserve to be in it.
    > >
    > >--
    > >--
    > >Lynn Wallace
    >
    > Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle
    admits he was
    > drunk on the field a lot of the time while he was building a hall of
    fame
    > career. Talent is not the deciding factor a lot of times. There are
    an awful
    > lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    obsessed
    > competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the deciding
    factor at
    > the top. One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm
    afraid to do
    > what it takes to do what I love. I've had right knee surgery, right
    shoulder
    > surgery, the other knee and shoulder are arthritic and sketchy, both
    arms have
    > signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by training my ass of
    for fifteen
    > years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of several
    methods)
    > and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for
    cardio when I
    > was cutting up. I wasn't winning bike races, but I was competitive in amatuer
    duathlon stuff.
    > Got my ass kicked on the runs but was able to make it up in the TT
    phase.
    > I have an awful lot of respect for the Masters racers who keep at
    it, knowing
    > they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't seem to get
    over the
    > hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best of
    what I used
    > to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right to
    > be in any
    race. They
    > may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to
    have earned
    > their way in. Bill C

    ???????? WoooooooSSSSSSSSSHhhhh!!

    You went tangentially OT there.....???? You quote a great article IMO,maybe Jan will cause some
    surprises. I'd welcome it from a spectator POV. I'm happy for LA to take his deserved 5th victory
    though. What's all this other stuff you're on about?

    DaveG.

  7. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    TritonRider wrote:
    >>From: Raptor [email protected]
    >

    >>It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can make a difference. If you don't
    >>have that "burning desire" to win the race six months before it starts, you're screwed.
    >>
    >>In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can without breaking, you don't even
    >>deserve to be in it.
    >>
    >>--
    >>--
    >>Lynn Wallace
    >

    > Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle admits he was drunk on the field a
    > lot of the time while he was building a hall of fame career. Talent is not the deciding factor a
    > lot of times. There are an awful lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    > obsessed competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the deciding factor at the top.
    > One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm afraid to do what it takes to do
    > what I love. I've had right knee surgery, right shoulder surgery, the other knee and shoulder
    > are arthritic and sketchy, both arms have signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by
    > training my ass of for fifteen years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of
    > several methods) and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for cardio when I
    > was cutting up.

    That just means that you had the combination of burning desire and talent to compete with your
    peers, whoever they are/were.

    You might want to climb Alpe du Huez three seconds faster than Pantani ever did, you might REALLY
    want to. Even if it's the most important thing in the world to you, you're not going to do it unless
    you have the innate capacity AND have trained specifically to do it. Simoni or Ullrich might have a
    burning desire to beat Lance to the line, but if they haven't trained their bodies to do it, they're
    not going to do it no matter how badly they want it.

  8. Daveg

    Daveg Guest

    > >From: Raptor [email protected]
    >
    > >It's BS to think that "burning desire" at the time of the race can
    make
    > >a difference. If you don't have that "burning desire" to win the
    race
    > >six months before it starts, you're screwed.
    > >
    > >In a big race, if you're not working as hard as your body can
    without
    > >breaking, you don't even deserve to be in it.
    > >
    > >--
    > >--
    > >Lynn Wallace
    >
    > Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle
    admits he was
    > drunk on the field a lot of the time while he was building a hall of
    fame
    > career. Talent is not the deciding factor a lot of times. There are
    an awful
    > lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    obsessed
    > competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the deciding
    factor at
    > the top. One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm
    afraid to do
    > what it takes to do what I love. I've had right knee surgery, right
    shoulder
    > surgery, the other knee and shoulder are arthritic and sketchy, both
    arms have
    > signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by training my ass of
    for fifteen
    > years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of several
    methods)
    > and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for
    cardio when I
    > was cutting up. I wasn't winning bike races, but I was competitive in amatuer
    duathlon stuff.
    > Got my ass kicked on the runs but was able to make it up in the TT
    phase.
    > I have an awful lot of respect for the Masters racers who keep at
    it, knowing
    > they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't seem to get
    over the
    > hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best of
    what I used
    > to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right to
    > be in any
    race. They
    > may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to
    have earned
    > their way in. Bill C

    ???????? WoooooooSSSSSSSSSHhhhh!!

    You went tangentially OT there.....???? You quote a great article IMO,maybe Jan will cause some
    surprises. I'd welcome it from a spectator POV. I'm happy for LA to take his deserved 5th victory
    though. What's all this other stuff you're on about?

    DaveG.

  9. Oclvboy

    Oclvboy Guest

    "DaveG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
    > it, knowing
    > > they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't seem to get
    > over the
    > > hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best of
    > what I used
    > > to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right to
    > > be in any
    > race. They
    > > may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to
    > have earned
    > > their way in. Bill C
    >

    > ???????? WoooooooSSSSSSSSSHhhhh!!
    >
    > You went tangentially OT there.....???? You quote a great article IMO,maybe Jan will cause some
    > surprises. I'd welcome it from a spectator POV. I'm happy for LA to take his deserved 5th victory
    > though. What's all this other stuff you're on about?

    ... come again. Could you repeat that?

  10. Daveg

    Daveg Guest

    "oclvboy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "DaveG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > make
    > > race

    > > without

    > > > Depends on how good you are in the first place. Mickey Mantle
    > > admits he was
    > > > drunk on the field a lot of the time while he was building a
    hall of
    > > fame
    > > > career. Talent is not the deciding factor a lot of times. There
    are
    > > an awful
    > > > lot of incredibly talented athletes that get beaten by totally
    > > obsessed
    > > > competitors who are less talented. The mental factor is the
    deciding
    > > factor at
    > > > the top. One of the big reasons that I'm a "Fat Master" is I can't/I'm
    > > afraid to do
    > > > what it takes to do what I love. I've had right knee surgery,
    right
    > > shoulder
    > > > surgery, the other knee and shoulder are arthritic and sketchy,
    both
    > > arms have
    > > > signs of ulnar/carpal tunnel. I earned these by training my ass
    of
    > > for fifteen
    > > > years bodybuilding/powerlifting. I was 185 at 5%( average of
    several
    > > methods)
    > > > and routinely did about a hundred miles a week on the bike for
    > > cardio when I
    > > > was cutting up. I wasn't winning bike races, but I was competitive in amatuer
    > > duathlon stuff.
    > > > Got my ass kicked on the runs but was able to make it up in the
    TT
    > > phase.
    > > > I have an awful lot of respect for the Masters racers who keep
    at
    > > it, knowing
    > > > they are not going to get faster than they were. I can't seem to
    get
    > > over the
    > > > hump where I commit 100% of the effort to be maybe 3/4 at best
    of
    > > what I used
    > > > to be. It's definitely a mental thing. Even those cruising by on talent have earned the right
    > > > to be in
    any
    > > race. They
    > > > may not live up to their "potential" but they are good enough to
    > > have earned
    > > > their way in. Bill C
    > >

    > > ???????? WoooooooSSSSSSSSSHhhhh!!
    > >
    > > You went tangentially OT there.....???? You quote a great article IMO,maybe Jan will cause some
    > > surprises. I'd welcome it from a spectator POV. I'm happy for LA to take his deserved 5th
    > > victory though. What's all this other stuff you're on about?
    > >
    > > DaveG.
    >
    > ... come again. Could you repeat that?

    ??Pardon,what's that you say...........O?O ^

    DG.