Simoni

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bikerecker

He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

Bikerecker wrote:
> He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

Greg Miller in California ???????

Jan

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.481 / Virus Database: 277 - Release Date: 13/05/03

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Bikerecker wrote:
>>> He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller
>>
>> Greg Miller in California ???????
>>
>> Jan
>
> It's a different Greg Miller.

Thanks Carl... Do you know Greg in California? Long Beach (??) Sells, repairs bikes ?

Jan

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote:

> He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli was starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind of
put me in mind of this photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think it was
1992. Everyone else is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks perfectly
expressionless, and his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks like a movie
star! Simoni made me think of that, totally cool and calm.

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Greg Miller in California ???????
> >>
> >> Jan
> >
> > It's a different Greg Miller.
>
> Thanks Carl... Do you know Greg in California? Long Beach (??) Sells, repairs bikes ?
>
>

I thought his shop was in Seal Beach, but it's been awhile since I've been there. I've known Greg
since his days racing HPVs and working for Mavic tech support.

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>> Greg Miller in California ???????
>>>>
>>>> Jan
>>>
>>> It's a different Greg Miller.
>>
>> Thanks Carl... Do you know Greg in California? Long Beach (??) Sells, repairs bikes ?
>>
>>
>
> I thought his shop was in Seal Beach, but it's been awhile since I've been there. I've known Greg
> since his days racing HPVs and working for Mavic tech support.

Shop may be Seal Beach.... ??? We met him in Malaysia earlier this year during the Tour de Langkawi-
Great bloke. With some good tales to tell. If/ when you see him please send my regards Jan

---

"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote:
>
> > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were
flailing.
> > Greg Miller
>
> Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
> usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli was starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind
> of put me in mind of this photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think it
> was 1992. Everyone else is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks perfectly
> expressionless, and his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks like a movie
> star! Simoni made me think of that, totally cool and calm.

Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.

Jeff

Jeff Jones wrote:

> Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
> jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
> either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.

If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have done better :) STF

In article <[email protected]>, "Jeff Jones"
<jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:

> "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were
> flailing.
> > > Greg Miller
> >
> > Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
> > usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli was starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind
> > of put me in mind of this photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think
> > it was 1992. Everyone else is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks
> > perfectly expressionless, and his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks
> > like a movie star! Simoni made me think of that, totally cool and calm.
>
> Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
> jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
> either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.
>
> Jeff

Yeah, and he was a great climber. I just remembered how he looked so unfazed in that photo. There's
another photo I saw in Cycle sport last year, from one of the mountains stages in 1996. In the
photo, Alex Zulle is really suffering because he'd crashed twice and was all beat up. When we're out
on rides and climbing any of the hills around here, I joke, "everyone wants to look like bugno but
we really end up looking like Zulle". I don't know if anyone knows that photo, but it was in the
Tour preview issue last year and it was called, "Anatomy of a climb". Great picture.

Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>
>Jeff Jones wrote:
>
>> Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
>> jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
>> either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.
>
>If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have

been at least a new Hinault

I agree completely. I can think of many high pressure sitauation where Bugno was cool as a cucumber.
He always pedaled as if there was very little resistance. A few of his directors clashed with him.
They reasoned that he never dug deep enough because he made it look so easy. He was often in a low
gear powering along and gave the impression that if he ever tried, he would have gone even faster. I
can see him now in effort to bridge to the Chiapucci\Indurain break in the 1991 Tour, his solo break
in his last Giro stage win, etc. He is one of my all time favorites.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
>
> "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were
> flailing.
> > > Greg Miller
> >
> > Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
> > usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli
was
> > starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind of put me in mind of
this
> > photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think it was 1992. Everyone else
> > is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks perfectly expressionless, and
> > his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks like a movie star!
Simoni
> > made me think of that, totally cool and calm.
>
> jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as
smooth
> as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock either, but got a bit
steamrolled
> by the Indurain juggernaut.
>
> Jeff

He had an inner ear problem that affected his balance. So yeah, if his head was better he would have
won even more.

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>
> Jeff Jones wrote:
>
> > Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
> > jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as
smooth
> > as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock either, but got a bit
steamrolled
> > by the Indurain juggernaut.
>
> If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have done better :) STF

Nick Burns wrote:

> He had an inner ear problem that affected his balance. So yeah, if his head was better he would
> have won even more.

I'm thinking more of situations like Amstel Gold in 1993. If you can attribute that to a balance
problem, then fair enough. STF

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >Jeff Jones wrote:
> >
> >> Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest
pedallers
> >> I've ever seen (cue for jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as
smooth
> >> as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock either, but got a bit
steamrolled
> >> by the Indurain juggernaut.
> >
> >If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have
>
> been at least a new Hinault

Even if Indurain weren't around, Bugno would not have been Hinault.

Bugno did not have the desire to dominate that Hinault had.

Status
Not open for further replies.