Simoni

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bikerecker, May 22, 2003.

  1. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

    Tags:

  2. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Bikerecker wrote:
    > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

    Greg Miller in California ???????

    Jan

    ---

  3. "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bikerecker wrote:
    > > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller
    >
    > Greg Miller in California ???????
    >
    > Jan

    It's a different Greg Miller.

  4. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Bikerecker wrote:
    >>> He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller
    >>
    >> Greg Miller in California ???????
    >>
    >> Jan
    >
    > It's a different Greg Miller.

    Thanks Carl... Do you know Greg in California? Long Beach (??) Sells, repairs bikes ?

    Jan

    ---

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote:

    > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

    Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
    usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli was starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind of
    put me in mind of this photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think it was
    1992. Everyone else is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks perfectly
    expressionless, and his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks like a movie
    star! Simoni made me think of that, totally cool and calm.

  6. "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >> Greg Miller in California ???????
    > >>
    > >> Jan
    > >
    > > It's a different Greg Miller.
    >
    > Thanks Carl... Do you know Greg in California? Long Beach (??) Sells, repairs bikes ?

    I thought his shop was in Seal Beach, but it's been awhile since I've been there. I've known Greg
    since his days racing HPVs and working for Mavic tech support.

  7. Jan

    Jan Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:

    >>> It's a different Greg Miller.
    >>
    >> Thanks Carl... Do you know Greg in California? Long Beach (??) Sells, repairs bikes ?
    >>

    > I thought his shop was in Seal Beach, but it's been awhile since I've been there. I've known Greg
    > since his days racing HPVs and working for Mavic tech support.

    Shop may be Seal Beach.... ??? We met him in Malaysia earlier this year during the Tour de Langkawi-
    Great bloke. With some good tales to tell. If/ when you see him please send my regards Jan

    ---

  8. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker) wrote:
    >
    > > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were
    flailing.
    > > Greg Miller
    >
    > Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
    > usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli was starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind
    > of put me in mind of this photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think it
    > was 1992. Everyone else is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks perfectly
    > expressionless, and his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks like a movie
    > star! Simoni made me think of that, totally cool and calm.

    Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
    jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
    either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.

    Jeff

  9. Jeff Jones wrote:

    > Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
    > jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
    > either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.

    If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have done better :) STF

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "Jeff Jones"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were
    > flailing.
    > > > Greg Miller
    > >
    > > Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
    > > usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli was starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind
    > > of put me in mind of this photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think
    > > it was 1992. Everyone else is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks
    > > perfectly expressionless, and his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks
    > > like a movie star! Simoni made me think of that, totally cool and calm.
    >
    > Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
    > jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
    > either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.
    >
    > Jeff

    Yeah, and he was a great climber. I just remembered how he looked so unfazed in that photo. There's
    another photo I saw in Cycle sport last year, from one of the mountains stages in 1996. In the
    photo, Alex Zulle is really suffering because he'd crashed twice and was all beat up. When we're out
    on rides and climbing any of the hills around here, I joke, "everyone wants to look like bugno but
    we really end up looking like Zulle". I don't know if anyone knows that photo, but it was in the
    Tour preview issue last year and it was called, "Anatomy of a climb". Great picture.

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I was calm today too. Am I the next Coppi?

    "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were flailing. Greg Miller

  12. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jeff Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
    >> jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as smooth as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock
    >> either, but got a bit steamrolled by the Indurain juggernaut.
    >
    >If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have

    been at least a new Hinault

  13. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I agree completely. I can think of many high pressure sitauation where Bugno was cool as a cucumber.
    He always pedaled as if there was very little resistance. A few of his directors clashed with him.
    They reasoned that he never dug deep enough because he made it look so easy. He was often in a low
    gear powering along and gave the impression that if he ever tried, he would have gone even faster. I
    can see him now in effort to bridge to the Chiapucci\Indurain break in the 1991 Tour, his solo break
    in his last Giro stage win, etc. He is one of my all time favorites.

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bikerecker)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > He looked so calm today, reminded me of Coppi. The others were
    > flailing.
    > > > Greg Miller
    > >
    > > Actually, only a couple of them looked like they wer really suffering. Casagrande looked cool as
    > > usual, except at the very end, but Garzelli
    was
    > > starting to get that suffering look. Simoni kind of put me in mind of
    this
    > > photo I remember seeing of Gianni Bugno, on the Alpe D'huez, I think it was 1992. Everyone else
    > > is suffering and sweating and they're all unzipped. And he looks perfectly expressionless, and
    > > his WC jersey is zipped all the way up to his neck, and he looks like a movie star!
    Simoni
    > > made me think of that, totally cool and calm.
    >
    > Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest pedallers I've ever seen (cue for
    > jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as
    smooth
    > as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock either, but got a bit
    steamrolled
    > by the Indurain juggernaut.
    >
    > Jeff

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    He had an inner ear problem that affected his balance. So yeah, if his head was better he would have
    won even more.

    news:[email protected]...

  15. Nick Burns wrote:

    > He had an inner ear problem that affected his balance. So yeah, if his head was better he would
    > have won even more.

    I'm thinking more of situations like Amstel Gold in 1993. If you can attribute that to a balance
    problem, then fair enough. STF

  16. "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ed3a[email protected]...
    > Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Jeff Jones wrote:
    > >
    > >> Did Bugno ever raise a sweat ever? He was one of the smoothest
    pedallers
    > >> I've ever seen (cue for jokes). Even when he was sprinting he was as
    smooth
    > >> as glass. He wasn't bad against the clock either, but got a bit
    steamrolled
    > >> by the Indurain juggernaut.
    > >
    > >If his head was as good as his legs, he'd have
    >
    > been at least a new Hinault

    Even if Indurain weren't around, Bugno would not have been Hinault.

    Bugno did not have the desire to dominate that Hinault had.