Simoni's knee straps

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by john dough, May 22, 2004.

  1. john dough

    john dough Guest

    what are these? anyone know? didn't see them on the TT today but he's
    used them on/off during the Giro. please advise.

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 23 May 2004 03:55:32 GMT, john dough
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what are these? anyone know? didn't see them on the TT today but he's
    >used them on/off during the Giro. please advise.

    Dear John,

    One possibility is that straps in the knee area are
    sometimes used to prevent the tendon-kneecap-tendon from
    slipping sideways.

    Carl Fogel

  3. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "john dough" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > what are these? anyone know? didn't see them on the TT today but he's
    > used them on/off during the Giro. please advise.

    I recall reading before that some riders have problems with their patellar
    tendon moving a bit from side-to-side which causes irritation over the
    course of long stages. There's a sort of a channel in the patella (kneecap)
    where the tendon is supposed to ride and the straps help keep it there.

    I'm not a doctor and I don't intend to play one in rbt.

    Bob C.

  4. john dough wrote:

    > what are these? anyone know? didn't see them on the TT today but he's
    > used them on/off during the Giro. please advise.

    They have a small piezoelectric motor in them which helps him up the
    mountains. The UCI just haven't cottoned on yet ;-)

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "john dough" > what are these? anyone know? didn't see them on the TT today
    but he's
    > used them on/off during the Giro. please advise.

    I didn't see the telecast, but if they are Cho-Pat straps, they are
    prescribed to keep the kneecap in its track. Some people get knee pain
    without the help. Did it look like this?
    https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=26

    Pat in Tx