Simoni's pride was hurt :(

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by BJC, May 29, 2004.

  1. BJC

    BJC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003
    Velonews wrote:

    "It's been a frustrating Giro for defending champion Simoni. After crossing Friday's finish line at Bormio 2000, he abruptly turned around and rode back down to the team hotel. The Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport reported that he called Cunego "a bastard and an idiot" for reeling in Simoni's solo attack and then taking the victory on the climbing finish."

    You knew his support for Cunego would wain when his pride was at stake. Doesn't everybody love a dominant grand tour winner (barring the mailman)?

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > You knew his support for Cunego would wain when his pride
    > was at stake. Doesn't everybody love a dominant grand tour
    > winner (barring the mailman)?

    You don't suppose that Simoni wasn't exhausted and simply
    angry at the world for the fate of having someone so much
    better than he in 'his' race? After resting I'd bet Gibo at
    least was thankful that Cunego was on his team.

  3. BJC

    BJC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003
    I agree. After a tough race that didn't work out, you have to be very careful what you say because of the emotions that are running wild in your head and your body.

  4. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:5Q8uc.7351-senetserver.comnews:[email protected]
    > > server.com...
    > > >
    > > > You knew his support for Cunego would wain when his
    > > > pride was at stake. Doesn't everybody love a
    > > > dominant grand tour winner (barring the mailman)?
    > > You don't suppose that Simoni wasn't exhausted and
    > > simply angry at the world for the fate of having
    > > someone so much better than he in 'his' race? After
    > > resting I'd bet Gibo at least was thankful that Cunego
    > > was on his team.
    >
    > I agree. After a tough race that didn't work out, you have
    > to be very careful what you say because of the emotions
    > that are running wild in your head and your body.

    It worked out better for him than it did for 162 other
    riders, including Garzelli...

    -Sonarrat.

  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > > "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message

    fe06.usenetserver.comnews:[email protected]
    > > > server.com...

    (barring
    > > > You don't suppose that Simoni wasn't exhausted and
    > > > simply angry at
    the
    > > > world for the fate of having someone so much better
    > > > than he in 'his' race? After resting I'd bet Gibo at
    > > > least was thankful that Cunego
    was
    > > > on his team.
    > >
    > > I agree. After a tough race that didn't work out,
    > > you have to be very careful what you say because of
    > > the emotions that are running wild in your head and
    > > your body.
    >
    > It worked out better for him than it did for 162 other
    > riders, including Garzelli...

    That is not the point at all. Simoni was forced to hold back
    at times and will never know if he could have beaten Cunego
    if they raced on separate teams. I say he would not have,
    but the typical ego of a pro cyclist will make this loss
    harder to swallow since he knows he could not give 100%. The
    others you mention including Garzelli know they did their
    best. In addition, Simoni was the defending champ and had
    won the race in his mind before it even started.

    > -Sonarrat.

  6. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], Chris at

    > "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>>>
    > 06.usenetserver.comnews:[email protected]

    > (barring
    > the
    > was
    >>>
    >>> I agree. After a tough race that didn't work out,
    >>> you have to be very careful what you say because of
    >>> the emotions that are running wild in your head and
    >>> your body.
    >>
    >> It worked out better for him than it did for 162 other
    >> riders, including Garzelli...
    >
    > That is not the point at all. Simoni was forced to hold
    > back at times and will never know if he could have beaten
    > Cunego if they raced on separate teams.

    I disagree. Simoni was so much of a marked man, nobody
    would let him get away. The only time he managed to ditch
    everyone was when he took off at the very end of Stage 3 to
    Corno alle Scale, and he took less than a minute out of any
    of the major contenders there. It was probably merely his
    status as defending champion that defeated him. His age is
    against him, too.

    > I say he would not have, but the typical ego of a pro
    > cyclist will make this loss harder to swallow since he
    > knows he could not give 100%. The others you mention
    > including Garzelli know they did their best. In addition,
    > Simoni was the defending champ and had won the race in his
    > mind before it even started.

    -Sonarrat.