Simple! Attaching Frame Pump?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi, As a somewhat newbie here, I have a small question.

    I have a frame pump that I had previously used down the seat tube. I've put another bottle cage
    there now, so the pump doesn't work there. My top tube is thicker than the seat tube (aluminum
    frame); so the old mount doesnt work.... what is the best way to attach this frame pump to the top
    tube so that it doesn't waggle around.

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    mike <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > what is the best way to attach this frame pump
    > to the top tube so that it doesn't waggle around.

    Get a pump that matches the length of your top tube. If your frame doesn't have a pump peg, you can
    fabricate one from a zip tie or something more complicated.

    If you don't want a full length frame pump, you may be able to find a pump cap that attaches to your
    top tube. Or you can use velcro straps.

  3. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    Or...you can get a mini pump for about $12, and attach it to your new water bottle mounts.

  4. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    "dennisg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Or...you can get a mini pump for about $12, and attach it to your new water bottle mounts.

    Since the original poster is a newbie, let me just add that the mini-pump mounts to the water bottle
    mounts IN ADDITION to the water bottle cage. That is, you don't have to give up a water bottle to
    add a mini-pump. That's how I have all of my bikes set up.

    In order to use the same pump under the top tube, visit your local bike shop. They should have some
    adjustable plastic straps with a peg to fit into the end of the frame pump. I would probably use a
    strip of velcro as an added precaution (especially if you ride with others).

    Ride on, with water and air, Don

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, As a somewhat newbie here, I have a small question.
    >
    > I have a frame pump that I had previously used down the seat tube. I've put another bottle cage
    > there now, so the pump doesn't work there. My top tube is thicker than the seat tube (aluminum
    > frame); so the old mount doesnt work.... what is the best way to attach this frame pump to the top
    > tube so that it doesn't waggle around.

    The very best is Zefal's $1 nylon clip which looks somewhat like a hose clamp, complete with nylon
    worm screw. They stay put and don't scratch or rust.

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I usually mount either an HPX or Blackburn with the head part at the junction of the chainstay and
    seat stay. The pump runs up the seatstay and the hole on the end goes into a Zefal screw on, plastic
    peg, that is either on the seatube. A small pump stap to hole in place in not necessary but I use
    one anyway. My 56 Cannondale use2 a
    #2 HPX pump.

    The Blackburn has an advantage in being fatter. You can use a water bottle mount with the velcro
    strap and attach the pump to that. My tandem does that with the largest size pump.

  7. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I usually mount either an HPX or Blackburn with the head part at the junction of the chainstay and
    > seat stay. The pump runs up the seatstay and the hole on the end goes into a Zefal screw on,
    > plastic peg, that is either on the seatube. A small pump stap to hole in place in not necessary
    > but I use one anyway. My 56 Cannondale use2 a
    > #2 HPX pump.

    I use a Zefal HPX mounted the same way on my Cannondale. I like the security of the vertical
    mounting, it's never come loose from road shock, I don't bother with a strap. I'm not sure how many
    frames will fit a pump this way, but I think it's better than under the top tube.

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    A Muzi wrote:
    > The very best is Zefal's $1 nylon clip which looks somewhat like a hose clamp, complete with nylon
    > worm screw. They stay put and don't scratch or rust.

    I found that these clips could slip along the top tube because the worm can't be done up very tight
    and the HPX spring is strong. This is not a problem if the pump is supported ok with peg right at
    the end of the top tube, but I recommend an old fasioned metal clip-on peg for pumps that are too
    short to reach (or nearly reach) the head tube or end of the top tube. This is relevant to those
    with very large frames and to those with pumps a size too small.

    ~PB

  9. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    The best place I had to mount a pump was behind the seattube, in front of fenders. I used a full
    size Silca Impero, held at the top by the seat stays and at the bottom by the chainstays adjacent to
    the BB. But the only frame with clearance for that was my original Cannondale touring frame (1984)
    with 18" chainstays.

    -Bruce Frech

  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for all the input. I knew I could get a new one (small water bottle mount), but was looking
    to use what I have :).

    These instructions... are you talking about mounting it behind the traditional seattube water bottle
    mount- towards the wheel?? I do not have room to do this. It is a Cannondale Caad 5 frame. I will
    check out getting a new pump strap that maybe has a larger diameter..but I have never seen these
    sold individually.

    Anyways... THANKS!!!

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I usually mount either an HPX or Blackburn with the head part at the junction of the chainstay
    > > and seat stay. The pump runs up the seatstay and the hole on the end goes into a Zefal screw on,
    > > plastic peg, that is either on the seatube. A small pump stap to hole in place in not necessary
    > > but I use one anyway. My 56 Cannondale use2 a
    > > #2 HPX pump.
    >
    > I use a Zefal HPX mounted the same way on my Cannondale. I like the security of the vertical
    > mounting, it's never come loose from road shock, I don't bother with a strap. I'm not sure how
    > many frames will fit a pump this way, but I think it's better than under the top tube.

  11. See if your LBS (Local Bike Shop) has old style toe straps. They can be tightened good and, unlike
    zip ties, can be removed abnd reinstalled repetedly.

    Be sure to place some foam between the frame and the pump.