Simple green chain cleaner?????

Hi,

Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain cleaner
machines is Simple Green?

Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic chain
cleaner, or did it work well?

Did you dillute the Simple Green?

I'm curious about Simple Green because it would be a less expensive chain
cleaner.

Thanks,

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain cleaner
> machines is Simple Green?
>
> Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic chain
> cleaner, or did it work well?
>
> Did you dilute the Simple Green?

I use Simple Green exclusively for chain cleaning, full strength. I also
use it diluted in a spray bottle for other bike cleaning (suggested strength
mixtures are on the bottle). The other item I use for bike cleaning is a
spray bottle with windshield washer fluid for less dirty work.

Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the Simple
Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.

JF

When I clean my chain, I just use my parents dish soap.. works great as far
as I'm concerned, and yeah.. I've used about 3 different chain cleaners. I
haven't tried Simple Green yet though... I don't know if it's specifically a
degreaser or not though..

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Mike Beauchamp wrote:
> When I clean my chain, I just use my parents dish soap.. works great
> as far as I'm concerned, and yeah.. I've used about 3 different chain
> cleaners. I haven't tried Simple Green yet though... I don't know if
> it's specifically a degreaser or not though..

It is.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

In article <Gyynd.5475$l65.625@clgrps13>, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain cleaner
> > machines is Simple Green?
> >
> > Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic chain
> > cleaner, or did it work well?
> >
> > Did you dilute the Simple Green?

> I use Simple Green exclusively for chain cleaning, full strength. I also
> use it diluted in a spray bottle for other bike cleaning (suggested strength
> mixtures are on the bottle). The other item I use for bike cleaning is a
> spray bottle with windshield washer fluid for less dirty work.
>
> Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the Simple
> Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.
>
> JF

Soylent Green is better!....:)

OK. Its rainning here, danmmit!

Simple Green is more of a detergent solution than a solvent. While it will emulsify oil, its effectiveness on grease and wax is limited, leading to the false belief lubricants like White Lightning, when applied to an installed chain, leave a permanent buildup on cogs, jockey wheels and chainrings.

If you use oil type chain lubricants, Simple Green might be enough but if you use White Lightning, you need to use a better solvent. And the spray can stuff WL sells evaporates too fast to be effective on the above mentioned trouble areas. Use low odor paint thinner.

"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <Gyynd.5475$l65.625@clgrps13>, "Jim Flom"

<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if the chain cleaner liquid used in various chain

cleaner
> > > machines is Simple Green?
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried Simple Green for this? Did it melt your plastic

chain
> > > cleaner, or did it work well?
> > >
> > > Did you dilute the Simple Green?

> > I use Simple Green exclusively for chain cleaning, full strength. I

also
> > use it diluted in a spray bottle for other bike cleaning (suggested

strength
> > mixtures are on the bottle). The other item I use for bike cleaning is

> > spray bottle with windshield washer fluid for less dirty work.
> >
> > Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the

Simple
> > Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.
> >
> > JF
> >

> Soylent Green is better!....:)
>
> OK. Its rainning here, danmmit!

But...but....soylent green is PEOPLE!!!

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:09:29 GMT, "Fred Hall"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <Gyynd.5475$l65.625@clgrps13>, "Jim Flom"

><[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...

[snip]

>> > Just don't soak your chain (or components) for too long in it or the
>> > Simple Green can strip the finish off. But for general use it's great.
>> >
>> > JF

>> Soylent Green is better!....:)
>>
>> OK. Its rainning here, danmmit!

>But...but....soylent green is PEOPLE!!!

Dear Junior,

As has been previously discussed, your dietary prejudices
are mistaken. Eating people is not wrong:

http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/hat_canib.html

Remember, we favor cleanliness at all costs:

http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/tried_bath.html

D. Swann & M. Flanders

[email protected] writes:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:09:29 GMT, "Fred Hall"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> In article <Gyynd.5475$l65.625@clgrps13>, "Jim Flom"

> ><[email protected]>

> [snip]

> >> Soylent Green is better!....:)
> >>
> >> OK. Its rainning here, danmmit!

> >But...but....soylent green is PEOPLE!!!
> >

> Dear Junior,
>
> As has been previously discussed, your dietary prejudices
> are mistaken. Eating people is not wrong:

Mr Fogel,

You are correct. It is indeed a rather modest proposal.

Jim Smith wrote:

> It is indeed a rather modest proposal.

I am impressed with how swiftly that response came ;-)

-Jonathan

"Weisse Luft" wrote ...

> If you use oil type chain lubricants, Simple Green might be enough but
> if you use White Lightning, you need to use a better solvent. And the
> spray can stuff WL sells evaporates too fast to be effective on the
> above mentioned trouble areas. Use low odor paint thinner.

Hadn't heard of the need for something stronger with dry lubes like WL,
although I don't use dry lubes anyway. While paint thinner is probably
going to be stronger, on factor the OP may care about is that Simple Green
is greener, i.e., environmentally friendlier. It's biodegradable, and
eaiser on the skin too.

JF

Retro Bob wrote:

> Actually, simple green is not biodegrable. It has some nasties
> in it. They just made it green so you'd think it was environmentally
> friendly.

From the Simple Green company FAQ:

"Readily Biodegradable: Simple Green is readily decomposed in the
environment by naturally occurring microorganisms. Simple Green
meets the OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and
Development) and the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
recommendations for ready biodegradability. Simple Green's
biological oxygen demand (BOD), as a percentage of its chemical
oxygen demand (COD) after 4, 7, and 11 days is 56%, 60%, and 70%
respectively."

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_ori_faqs.php

If it truly isn't biodegradable, someone should call the company on
their facts.

Retro Bob wrote:

> Actually, simple green is not biodegrable. It has some nasties
> in it. They just made it green so you'd think it was environmentally
> friendly.

From the Simple Green company FAQ:

Retro Bob wrote:

> Actually, simple green is not biodegrable. It has some nasties
> in it. They just made it green so you'd think it was environmentally
> friendly.

From the Simple Green company FAQ:

Retro Bob <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 20:16:14 GMT, "Jim Flom" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hadn't heard of the need for something stronger with dry lubes like WL,
> >although I don't use dry lubes anyway. While paint thinner is probably
> >going to be stronger, on factor the OP may care about is that Simple Green
> >is greener, i.e., environmentally friendlier. It's biodegradable, and
> >eaiser on the skin too.

> Actually, simple green is not biodegrable. It has some nasties
> in it. They just made it green so you'd think it was environmentally
> friendly. There was quite a discussion of this a while back in
> another forum including some responses from VP's with the Simple
> folks.

According to the official tests, as reported in the MSDS:

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/04_msds_simple_green.pdf

simple green is indeed biodegradeable. From the MSDS:

"Simple Green is readily decomposed by naturally occurring
microorganisms... Per OECD Closed Bottle Test, Simple Green meets
OECD and EPA reccomendations for ready biodegradability."

They do not mention what Simple Green is made of, but they do report
that the only adverse effect is a little red skin if you soak a mouse in
it for a week. Other than that it is non-toxic.

Of course you heard something differant on usenet, so there must be
some sort of conspiracy.

What are these "nasties" you speak of? Are they anything like the
"toxins" people flush out of their colons with coffee enemas?

--
Proud member of the reality-based community

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:23:59 +1100, Weisse Luft
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Simple Green is more of a detergent solution than a solvent. While it
>will emulsify oil, its effectiveness on grease and wax is limited,
>leading to the false belief lubricants like White Lightning, when
>applied to an installed chain, leave a permanent buildup on cogs,
>jockey wheels and chainrings.

Simple Green is made of citrus terpenes. They are excellent solvents
for organic materials and decent water solubility. Downside is that
they are not volatile and removing the solvent completely from the
part is is not easy. The solvent is usually not reused or the
washings collected. I really don't understand why people use them on
bicycles.

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:57:18 GMT, Retro Bob
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 21 Nov 2004 14:11:51 -0600, Jim Smith <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Of course you heard something differant on usenet, so there must be
>>some sort of conspiracy.
>>
>>What are these "nasties" you speak of? Are they anything like the
>>"toxins" people flush out of their colons with coffee enemas?

>No, actually I heard something different as a discussion between
>chemists over the actual contents. It was firsthand from the chemists
>and confirmed (eventually) by the not-so-Simple Green VP. I'll see if
>I can dig it out.
>
>Bob

Dear Bob,

Possibly you're thinking of these kinds of comments?

"Chemical names are often disguised by using innocuous trade
names, and most chemicals can be listed under several
different synonyms to make it even more confusing. For
example, butyl cellosolve, an ingredient of such products as
Simple Green or Formula 409, can be listed as:
2-butoxyethanol, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, monobutyl
glycol ether, or simply as a glycol ether (glycol ethers are
also listed by NIOSH as neurotoxins - effects the central
nervous system). Butyl is associated with blood and bone
marrow damage, and adverse effects on hematopoietic tissues,
blood, kidneys and liver. This information is available
through NIOSH or the product Material Safety Data Sheet."

http://groups.google.com/groups?q="...ng=d&[email protected]&rnum=8
or http://tinyurl.com/7x7xo

None of that stuff appears in my Harvard Concordance to
Shakespeare, so for all that I know the poster may just be
frothing.

Here's another comment on Simple Green:

>Formula 409 is definately not similar to Simple Green.

"BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!! Wrong! Both are chemically very
similar. They are both butyl cellosolve based, surfactant
loaded degreasers. I've done analysis on both, and they're
pretty close to each other."

"Take that 'biodegradable' idea associated with SG with a
grain of salt. It's just another butyl cleaner, nothing
more, nothing less."

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...95938.23620.00006354%40ng-fx1.aol.com&rnum=79
or http://tinyurl.com/5pshr

Carl Fogel

wrote:

>Simple Green
>is greener, i.e., environmentally friendlier. It's biodegradable, and
>eaiser on the skin too.

I don't believe that citrus terpene solvents are particularly
biodegradeable. Before the advent of Simple Green, these chemicals, a
byproduct of squeezing citrus fruits with the peels on, were sold in
small quantity to manufacturers of flavors and fragrances as chemical
raw materials. Environmentally, they couldn't dump them into the
ocean or bury them underground. I think that they were incinerated or
maybe used for fuel.

I recall when Simple Green was introduced as a safe household cleaner,
The advertisements showed people using it to clean walls and squirting
the stuff into their mouths to prove how safe the product was. That
test proves little about safety or environmental benefits.

I wonder why they haven't made a liquid laundry detergeant out of this
stuff yet?

[email protected] writes:

> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:57:18 GMT, Retro Bob
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 21 Nov 2004 14:11:51 -0600, Jim Smith <[email protected]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>Of course you heard something differant on usenet, so there must be
> >>some sort of conspiracy.
> >>
> >>What are these "nasties" you speak of? Are they anything like the
> >>"toxins" people flush out of their colons with coffee enemas?

> >No, actually I heard something different as a discussion between
> >chemists over the actual contents. It was firsthand from the chemists
> >and confirmed (eventually) by the not-so-Simple Green VP. I'll see if
> >I can dig it out.
> >
> >Bob

> Dear Bob,
>
> Possibly you're thinking of these kinds of comments?
>
> "Chemical names are often disguised by using innocuous trade
> names, and most chemicals can be listed under several
> different synonyms to make it even more confusing. For
> example, butyl cellosolve, an ingredient of such products as
> Simple Green or Formula 409, can be listed as:
> 2-butoxyethanol, ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, monobutyl
> glycol ether, or simply as a glycol ether (glycol ethers are
> also listed by NIOSH as neurotoxins - effects the central
> nervous system). Butyl is associated with blood and bone
> marrow damage, and adverse effects on hematopoietic tissues,
> blood, kidneys and liver. This information is available
> through NIOSH or the product Material Safety Data Sheet."
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q="...ng=d&[email protected]&rnum=8
> or http://tinyurl.com/7x7xo
>
> None of that stuff appears in my Harvard Concordance to
> Shakespeare, so for all that I know the poster may just be
> frothing.
>
> Here's another comment on Simple Green:
>
> >Formula 409 is definately not similar to Simple Green.

> "BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!! Wrong! Both are chemically very
> similar. They are both butyl cellosolve based, surfactant
> loaded degreasers. I've done analysis on both, and they're
> pretty close to each other."
>
> "Take that 'biodegradable' idea associated with SG with a
> grain of salt. It's just another butyl cleaner, nothing
> more, nothing less."
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...95938.23620.00006354%40ng-fx1.aol.com&rnum=79
> or http://tinyurl.com/5pshr
>
> Carl Fogel

Yes, those usenet posts have a nice frothy feel. It probably is the
2-butoxyethanol \/\/o\/\oh that worries folks. As pointed out in the
MSDS, this is the only compound used in simple green that has exposure
limits. Note that simple green itself has been tested and shown to be
safe. Oh well, some folks are afraid of acetone, and others thought
the Cassini probe was going to cause the fiery end of the earth. Hell,
ethanol is a known neurotoxin yet most folks still use it. Furrfu. I
consider myself a lefty tree-hugger and these folks bug me.

As an aside, "butyl" by itself just means "four single bonded carbon
atoms." You may not have found it in your Harvard Concordance, but
"butyl" comes from Latin "butyrum" because a four carbon carboxylic
acid is common in rancid butter.

My personal favorite is the six-carbon "caproic acid" which presumably
comes from rancid goats.