Simple Question about shifters

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Neuton, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Neuton

Neuton New Member

I'm sort of new to the mountain bike scene, and am having trouble adjusting the chain guide so all the gears shift right. I used to have a bike that I couldn't get right, and now I'm having the same trouble on this new bike. I know I have to adjust the chain guide so that it's closest to the chain when it's high and when it's low, but the problem is when it's high, I can't get the "high" screw in far enough to make it nearly close enough.

I know this seems rather simple, but I'm having a difficult time with it, especially since I can't shift to the smallest front gear on my bike because of it...

Tags:

2. moparchris

moparchris New Member

well obviously theres too much cable tension, shift the shifter into 1st, unbolt the cable from the derallieur, put the chain in 1st at the back and make sure its in 1st in the front (im assuming you mean front derallieur by 'chain guide') screw the 'low' screw in so that theres around a 3mm gap between the chain and the inside plate of the cage (can be anywhere from max of aobut 5mm to 2mm) then pull the cable tight with your hands and bolt it back on.. make sure the shifter is in 1st though.

pull the cable with your hand so the chain goes to 3rd and shift to the last gear in the back, the chain and outer plate of the derallieur should have a gap aobut 2-3mm in general

it should shift reasonably well from there but you will probably have to tweak it with the barrel adjuster on the shifter which adjusts the cable tension.

3. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

front mech ?
    if so then disconect the cable and slack off the adjust screws
    now slacken the mounting screw and move the mech untill the outer plate of the guide is about 3 mm above the outer chain ring and also parallel to it .
    now retighten the bolt ( not too much ) and see how it looks , if not as you thought then do it again until it´s right - it may move from parallel as you tighten so compensate as required .
    adjust lower stop and THEN reattach cable and see what happens .

all you should need is to set the top stop and adjust cable tension .

try www.sheldonbrown.com for better advice with pictures .

4. davebee

davebee New Member

Have a look at www.parktool.com for full explanations on mech settings. you have not stated whether it is the front or rear mech that you are having difficulties with.