Simple question about Ultegra, D/A Etc...

Meek One

May 5, 2004
Do you have to get a new left shifter (ie. 6500 or 7700) if you change from a triple to a double crank or can the shifter just be adjusted to work with the double? Thanks.

Meek One said:
Do you have to get a new left shifter (ie. 6500 or 7700) if you change from a triple to a double crank or can the shifter just be adjusted to work with the double? Thanks.

your gonna need a new shifter.

No, you don't need a new shifter. I switched from a triple to a double (I have Ultegra shifters) and the LBS was able to do it without switching out the lever. And no, there is not still an extra click with which I could shift the chain down onto nothing.

Meek One said:
The correct answer is: It depends.

D/A lists separate part numbers for 9-speed double and triple shifters. 10-speed is double only.

Ultegra lists separate part numbers for 10-speed double and triple shifters but 9-speed uses the same shifter for both doubles and triples.

Meek One said:
The stops on the derailer will allow you to use of triple shifter with a double derailer. There is no reason to change the shifter.