Simple Question: Shimano SL-BS50 Bar End Shifters - Will they work with a triple chainring?

salvagetherapy

Guest
I need to know if these bar ends will work with a 7 speed triple
chainring setup. Is there enough travel to accomodate this?
Thanks!

salvagetherapy wrote:

> I need to know if these bar ends will work with a 7 speed triple
> chainring setup. Is there enough travel to accomodate this?
> Thanks!

Simple answer in more ways than one - YES

CC

salvagetherapy wrote:
> I need to know if these bar ends will work with a 7 speed triple
> chainring setup. Is there enough travel to accomodate this?
> Thanks!

Yes, and they make front shifting much less fussy than "indexed" front
shifting does. You'll have much wider latitude in your choice of
chainrings, chainring combinations and FDs.

salvagetherapy wrote:
> I need to know if these bar ends will work with a 7 speed triple
> chainring setup. Is there enough travel to accomodate this?
> Thanks!

Yes, *if* you have the 7-speed rear shifter and you want it to index.
If you have a mismatch at the rear, turn the shifter to "friction" and
it'll work with anything.

The front has always been friction shifting. It'll work with any triple
you like.

Jeff

JeffWills wrote:
> salvagetherapy wrote:
> > I need to know if these bar ends will work with a 7 speed triple
> > chainring setup. Is there enough travel to accomodate this?
> > Thanks!

> Yes, *if* you have the 7-speed rear shifter and you want it to index.

IME, the SL-BS50-8 (i.e., 8 SP rear), will index shift a 7SP rear just
fine.

> If you have a mismatch at the rear, turn the shifter to "friction" and
> it'll work with anything.
>
> The front has always been friction shifting. It'll work with any triple
> you like.
>
> Jeff

Thanks for all the replies!!