Simple question

USAFGAMECOCK

Oct 9, 2006
Okay....this will seem like a really simple, elementary question....because it is. I'm brand new to cycling and so is my wife. We just bought a couple of road bikes and we've loved every second. My wife got her first flat this past weekend, and my question is.....how often does this typically happen? We were just riding along and her rear tube let all of it's air out. Thanks!

USAFGAMECOCK said:
Okay....this will seem like a really simple, elementary question....because it is. I'm brand new to cycling and so is my wife. We just bought a couple of road bikes and we've loved every second. My wife got her first flat this past weekend, and my question is.....how often does this typically happen? We were just riding along and her rear tube let all of it's air out. Thanks!
Depends on tyres, roads and weather you choose and attention to tyre pressure and other maintenance points. For me on my road bike, about once every 5000km.

Faulty tubes in new bikes are not uncommon.

Replace with Continetal or Michelin tubes in the correct size and valve length.

Correct inflation pressure is most important and practice a good pump removal tecnique so as not to break off the vavle stem or loose too much air. ;)

Thanks a bunch! We rode on different types of pavement that day. It would be really smooth on some roads, and others not so much. My wife is worried that it happens all the time and she doesn't want to keep having to buy a new tube.

We're really good about inflating the tires prior to riding. Another simple question....should I inflate a couple of lbs more than recommended to compensate for the slight loss of pressure while removing the pump from the valve?

USAFGAMECOCK said:

Welcome to the down-side of Cycling...:(

It's impossible to say when a flat can typically happen, it really depends...

I haven't had a flat for almost a year yet I've had two in one week previously...it's just the luck of the draw I guess...

Recommended pressure is based on rider + load weight, not the "MAX TYRE PRESSURE" on the sidewall.

What type of bike,
type and size of tyre,
and weight of the rider?

As Gclark said, faulty tubes. I have seen a brand new OCR3 which was bought from the LBS come back with both valve stems popped off. It turned out to just be the OEM tubes. Replace with any tube, MAKE SURE not to pinch it. Check for foreign objects before hand and pump up to generally above 90psi depending on weight. Most have a max of around 125psi.

Conti GP 4 seasons are bombproof for punctures. bordering on 10,000km without a single flat.

artemidorus said:
For me on my road bike, about once every 5000km.
Same here. Mostly using Michelin pro race tires and michelin latex tubes.

Should point out that flat tyres are a random event. I rode Jan - July with zero flat tyres and then I got 4 flat tyres on separate rides in August and then I haven't had a flat tyre yet.

Once you have got the hang of it, it only takes 10 minutes to change it.

Also save the flat tyre to have a practice at patching, as once you have used your spare, you may end up with a second flat, either by pinching the tyre, not removing the object that caused the flat or plain bad luck. Then its a case of applying a patch.

USAFGAMECOCK said:
Thanks a bunch! We rode on different types of pavement that day. It would be really smooth on some roads, and others not so much. My wife is worried that it happens all the time and she doesn't want to keep having to buy a new tube.

We're really good about inflating the tires prior to riding. Another simple question....should I inflate a couple of lbs more than recommended to compensate for the slight loss of pressure while removing the pump from the valve?

It's not that critical really,so long as you're somewhere near an optimum pressure for your overall bike/rider weight - I ride on anywhere between 90-110psi depending on whether I'm after speed/response or comfort. Just as matter of interest, what sort of puncture was it? If it was the valve detaching (not uncommon) then it's probably a faulty tube, although sometimes the stem jams too far into the rim if the rim tape shifts, putting too much stress on the valve/tube join - the valve should be able to move freely in the hole. If it was the typical 'sharp thing through a hole in the casing' scenario, then that can happen any time (you need to make sure you remove the flint or whatever from the casing when you change/mend the tube!). Tougher tyres and better quality tubes are one answer, but it's also possible to get tubes with a self-sealer inside, or fill your existing tubes with a self-sealer (the most common one in UK is called Slime). I've had a lot of success with this in mountain bike tyres (literally not had a flat in six years). Not tried it in road tyres though.
The other main type of flat is a pinch flat, or snakebite, so called because you usually get two holes in the tube. This is often caused by a combination of under-inflation and the tyre striking the edge of a pothole or any other sharp object (even a stone in the road) which traps the tube between the tyre casing and the rim. If you're used to mountain bikes and just riding over everything in your path, it can take a while to get used to picking your way through the debris a bit more on a road bike.
Anyway, at some point we all get flats, so the best thing is to be properly prepared (spare tube, pump, tyre levers etc), so you can get going again as soon as possible. Fit the new tube, then fix the old one when you get home. I also find it useful to carry a small scrap of rag, and a pair of disposable surgeon's gloves (they weigh nothing), so you don't have to do the rest of the ride with grubby hands. It also helps to keep your bike clean, so you don't get so filthy when you have to take the wheel out.
Don't let it put you off - the upsides of cycling outweigh the occasional inconvenience every time.

gclark8 said:
Faulty tubes in new bikes are not uncommon.
I don't think so. I suppose that it's possible, but I've never encountered a flat bicycle tire that I couldn't eventually find a cause other than a faulty tube.

On brand new bikes, bad rim strips are pretty common. When I owned my own shop I used to routinely remove the tires from every single Raleigh road bike that we sold. Then we'd replace the plastic rim strips that migrated to one side of the spoke holes with Velox. Ultimately my dealer rep would warranty all of the OE rim strips (but not the labor).

Mistakes while replacing tubes are pretty easy to make. Be sure that you don't have even the tinest section of inner tube trapped under the tire bead. If you do that your tire will eventually go flat - sometimes gradually and sometimes with the sudden-ness of a shotgun blast.

Another of my favorite stories was a customer who was sure we had been selling him defective tubes because his kept tearing out at the valve stem. I offered to replace one for him and I was unable to undo the valve stem nut with just my fingers. We told him that nut didn't hold the whole bike together and didn't have to be that tight. After he left the store I watched through the window as he took a pliers out of his bag to retighten the valve stem nut.

Hmmm. Well, of course I'm going to be a geek about this and try to answer it with a bit of math. How often can you expect a flat tire? For our weather, climate and road conditions in Vancouver I get the following rate:

Our team's Saturday ride has an average of ~20 people show up every week. Sometimes more, sometimes a bit less. We ride anywhere between 90 and 110 km, and we average one flat every 2 rides. More often if it's raining (once per ride) and a bit less if has been dry for a while.

Therefore, we travel 20 x 2 x 100 = 4000 km as a group per flat tire. If it's raining and wet, It's more like 2000 km per flat tire. Of course, this is only the average rate. Since it lies on a probability curve you can expect to have a flat any time you ride...

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

Key here is proper tire presure, too low and you will be prone to pinch flats. Pump those suckas up before every ride to make sure. It's pretty rare to get a faulty tube, although not unheard of.

ScienceIsCool said:
How often can you expect a flat tire? For our weather, climate and road conditions in Vancouver I get the following rate:
I think the key is the road conditions. They can lead to dramatically different puncture rates. I live in a four season climate. In the pre-season there is sand and road debris on the shoulders of the road; you flat roughly once every 500 miles. Once Spring rolls around, the debris has been swept off the road and you might not flat at all through July. Then starting in the middle of August the goat head thorns dry out and fall off their vines, so that I flat about once every 100 miles through October. From November to the first snowfall things seem to improve. Maybe the goathead thorns soften as they decompose; I don't know.

USAFGAMECOCK said:
Did you inflate the tires at the recommended pressure? Many I've seen a newbie cyclist inflate road tires (feel them after inflation) just like their auto or motorcycle. When shown how hard they are when properly inflated (usually around 80%-90% of maximum psi rating) they are aghast and worry thy'll explode when ridden.

Just a note, even my garden variety training clinchers which see a lot of road debris haven't flatted yet since I installed them 400kms ago.

ScienceIsCool said:
Hmmm. Well, of course I'm going to be a geek about this and try to answer it with a bit of math. How often can you expect a flat tire? For our weather, climate and road conditions in Vancouver I get the following rate:

Our team's Saturday ride has an average of ~20 people show up every week. Sometimes more, sometimes a bit less. We ride anywhere between 90 and 110 km, and we average one flat every 2 rides. More often if it's raining (once per ride) and a bit less if has been dry for a while.

Therefore, we travel 20 x 2 x 100 = 4000 km as a group per flat tire. If it's raining and wet, It's more like 2000 km per flat tire. Of course, this is only the average rate. Since it lies on a probability curve you can expect to have a flat any time you ride...

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com
These estimates sound good for training. When training, you are generally riding 2 abrest taking a lane. For commuting over 2002 - 2005, I've done 10,000k per year and got exactly 5 flat tyres per year, a 2000k average. Although 2002 was unlucky, I worked on the 31st December and got a flat rear on the way to work and a flat front on the way home, so if I hadn't worked that day, it would of been 3 flat tyres or an average or 3,333k per flat. Commuting probably increases the chance of flats a little over training as the typical commuter probably rides thru more **** than the typical trainee.

mikesbytes said:
Commuting probably increases the chance of flats a little over training as the typical commuter probably rides thru more **** than the typical trainee.
Possibly true, but commuters can pick a better path than bunch riders. Almost never do I hit a big rock or pothole when riding alone, but I often do it in a bunch.

artemidorus said:
Possibly true, but commuters can pick a better path than bunch riders. Almost never do I hit a big rock or pothole when riding alone, but I often do it in a bunch.
True, my 4th flat this year was a flat spot after hitting the same pothole as the rider in front of me, who also flat spotted.

USAFGAMECOCK said:
Depending on available clearance, you might want to fit some slightly wider tyres. The standard tyre size for road bikes is probably 700 x 23. You could possibly fit 700 x 25 or even 700 x 28. Wider tyres may slow you down a bit, but they will tend to absorb vibration and shock a little better and you may well end up with fewer flats. I have switched to wider tyres and all i can say is so far so good, i can't see myself going back to 23's.
Another common piece of advice is to check that the brake pads are not rubbing against the tyres. I don't think this is a very common cause, but I recently checked and was surprised to see how close the pads were to my rear tyre.