Simple Question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rob Rudeski, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    Hi All,

    What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in chainring?

    --
    Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

    Tags:

  2. Paul Harris

    Paul Harris Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rob Rudeski <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in chainring?

    Rob:

    I use a plastic "Chain Disc," at least that's what one of my is called. It's basically a plastic
    disk with a diameter slightly larger than the largest chain ring, which mounts by threading into the
    hole which contains the crank mounting bolt. Extrusions on the back of the disk hold it outboard of
    the chainring enough so that the chain can move on and off the ring cleanly.

    Dont't know if that describes it well, but they work so well I have three of them, one on each of my
    bicycles. They cost around $12 each, and should be available at your LBS.

    Regards,

    Paul Harris Victoria, BC

  3. "Rob Rudeski" skrev...

    > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in chainring?

    Pull the sock over it if you're wearing long socks. Plenty of small gizmos that basically do the
    same as the sock such as a reflective strap with velcro in both ends etc. I suppose a wide rubber
    band might do the trick if you're cheap ;) Biking tights or shorts.

    M.

  4. tuck your pants leg in your sock. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

  5. Rob Rudeski wrote:

    > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in chainring?

    I simply fold them up - it looks dreadfully if you put them into your socks, i think ;). However I
    also use a Chain Disc like Paul Harris described it, but selfmade from aluminum.

    --
    Jan-Friedrich Koehle Paderborn, Germany m5 28/20

  6. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Rob,

    Bike naked!

    Ben

  7. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from
    getting
    > caught in chainring?

    Short velcro tie-down straps - one near the hem on each leg. Some company was giving them away last
    year at Linux Expo as "multi-platform managment devices."

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    Jan-Friedrich Kohle <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Rob Rudeski wrote:
    >
    > > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in
    > > chainring?
    >
    > I simply fold them up - it looks dreadfully if you put them into your socks, i think ;). However I
    > also use a Chain Disc like Paul Harris described it, but selfmade from aluminum.

    I use a pair of those little straps with velcro that go around the pant legs. The have nice
    refelctive strips on them, too. though that would probably show up better on a DF.

    Andy

    --
    President Bush; Don't slash V. A. benefits. Support our troops. Or are you really that much of a
    hypocrite?

  9. Rob Rudeski

    Rob Rudeski Guest

    I think, were I to take your suggestion, I might find myself in the company of folks whose company I
    would rather not keep. ;-)

    Rob

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Rob Rudeski wrote:
    > > Hi All, What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in
    > > chainring?
    > > --
    > > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2
    >
    > Rob,
    >
    > Bike naked!
    >
    > Ben

  10. Leroy

    Leroy Guest

    Rob,

    I've tried the velcro straps with the reflective tape. They work well. But I wanted something that I
    could slip on and off my pant legs quickly. So now I use the metal clips. They're chrome plated,
    made out of spring steel. They're elleptical in shape, with an opening on one side. The cost a
    dollar or two.

    I just fold my pant leg to the outside and snap on the clip, then do other leg. Takes about as long
    to do it as it took you to read the last sentence. The downside is that they don't have a reflective
    surface like some of the velcro straps do.

  11. I just grew long legs.. ;-) In the cold i use long socks over the pants. I don't really like the
    reflective velcro solution, the fabric tend to slip on nylon, and for obvious reasons, I can't place
    them at the thinnest part of the leg..

    Torben

    "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from
    getting
    > caught in chainring?
    >
    > --
    > Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

  12. > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in chainring?

    Not riding in loose flappy kecks!

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    LeRoy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just fold my pant leg to the outside and snap on the clip, then do other leg. Takes about as
    > long to do it as it took you to read the last sentence. The downside is that they don't have a
    > reflective surface like some of the velcro straps do.

    I'm sure I've seen clips like this with reflective tape on the outside.

    IIRC Halfords in the UK sell them.

    --
    Carol Hague "...it's not normal if you don't like cake..." - Sean Yates

  14. "Rob Rudeski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > What are the techniques that you all use to keep your pant legs from getting caught in chainring?

    I use the reflective strips with Velcro.

    Here's a neat tip: When not in use, I thread them through the vents in my helmet so that they're
    always available when I need them... I usually wear bike shorts or tights, but on occasion I do
    wear regular trousers, and I was always without the strips when I really needed them. (It's
    possible to thread the strips into my helment so that they don't look dorky... may not be possible
    with all helmets.)