Simple syrup

Photoman

Guest
I boiled equal parts of water and sugar to the desired thickness, but after cooling there is a
precipitate of solidified sugar. How do I avoid this condition? TIA Joe Arnold

I grew up working at my moms Dairy Queen, and we made simple syrup in 5 gallon batches. The key is
hot boiling water added to the sugar, then stir until your arm feels ready to fall off, until all
the sugar is dissolved. . You add cold water to the sugar and try to bring it up to heat you get the
crystalization problem. I know we would mix 1-20 lb bag of sugar to 5 gallons of water.

Sandra

"Sandy n ne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I grew up working at my moms Dairy Queen, and we made simple syrup in 5
gallon
> batches. The key is hot boiling water added to the sugar, then stir until
your
> arm feels ready to fall off, until all the sugar is dissolved. . You add
cold
> water to the sugar and try to bring it up to heat you get the
crystalization
> problem. I know we would mix 1-20 lb bag of sugar to 5 gallons of water.
>
> Sandra

Thank you Sandra! I'm making it (adding vanilla extract) to make milk shakes and vanilla cokes. Joe

PhotoMan wrote:

> I boiled equal parts of water and sugar to the desired thickness, but after cooling there is a
> precipitate of solidified sugar. How do I avoid this condition? TIA Joe Arnold

From the foodtv & a recipe for candied ginger, the deal is to add a tablespoon or 4 (depending on
the amount you make) of corn syrup to your simple syrup. Corn syrup is a different kind of sugar
(fructose?) and will help prevent the sugar syrup (glucose?) from organizing into crystals. Not too
terribly scientific on my part, but there you go anyway. Edrena

Thanks folks - really 'preciate the help! Joe

Sandy n ne wrote:
> I grew up working at my moms Dairy Queen, and we made simple syrup in 5 gallon batches. The key is
> hot boiling water added to the sugar, then stir until your arm feels ready to fall off, until all
> the sugar is dissolved. . You add cold water to the sugar and try to bring it up to heat you get
> the crystalization problem. I know we would mix 1-20 lb bag of sugar to 5 gallons of water.
>
> Sandra

Agreed, Sandra. I worked at an ice cream parlor when I was 17 years old; we had to make simple syrup
for the shakes and malts. HOT HOT HOT water and STIR STIR STIR was the key :)

Jill