Since you guys don't seem to think I exist

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Martynspeck, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Martynspeck

    Martynspeck Guest

    I came across a post that asked a question. I responded in the affirmative and stated a reason or
    two as to why. It was the first time I posted to this forum.

    Look. You guys don't have to wear a helmet if you don't want. I don't care. I told someone who asked
    what I do and why.

    btw. This is already at 933 posts. I will not be replying to responses to this.

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "martynspeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > btw. This is already at 933 posts. I will not be replying to responses to this.

    Hmmm. I count only one.

    Bill "timeliness matters" S.

  3. Saintdan

    Saintdan Guest

    dahhh. and what is this all about

    Dan "martynspeck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I came across a post that asked a question. I responded in the affirmative and stated a reason or
    > two as to why. It was the first time I posted to this forum.
    >
    > Look. You guys don't have to wear a helmet if you don't want. I don't care. I told someone who
    > asked what I do and why.
    >
    > btw. This is already at 933 posts. I will not be replying to responses to this.

  4. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Martyn,

    The two replies that I can see at the moment suggest some understandable confusion, so I'm just following up on your post to explain.

    From cycling forums, Martyn can no longer post to the original 933-post "Should I Wear a Helmet?" thread because it has been removed from that area. It is still visible through other means, such as:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.bicycles.tech

    I've been tracking down cycling forums members who posted to this thread, people whom a rec.bicycles.tech poster named Chalo Colina claimed did not exist (a step back from his earlier claims that they were all frauds, cheats, and liars engaged in some conspiracy by a single poster to post under fake names from cycling forums). Their only crime was to post pro-helmet comments in a perfectly normal fashion.

    Regrettably, other rec.bicycles.tech posters joined Chalo in his paranoid fantasy and in insulting anyone from cycling forums. Some have apologized, while others like Frank Krygowski were last heard from still supporting Chalo's argument from ignorance:

    --begin quote from Chalo--

    OTOH I found nothing to indicate that any of the following personae are anything other than rhetorical contrivances, freshly minted so that they could participate here:

    "augustacycling"
    "jasonaut"
    "theallanfamily"
    "jharte"
    "chaffsk"
    "martynspeck"

    They might in fact be actual participants, but the weight of the
    evidence I could find (that is, none outside this thread) suggests
    otherwise. I'm not convinced one way or the other, but at this point they look to me like shoots sprung from the same rhizome, if you will.

    --end quote from Chalo--

    Chalo argues that if he cannot find someone, then the rest of us should credit his strange assumption that they do not exist. Given his repeated failures to find other easily found cycling forums posters, this argument from ignorance is unconvincing.

    For example, "martynspeck" obviously exists. A Google search for "Martyn Speck" led me to you in moments last night.

    A similar search soon led me to "augustacycling." Here's part of an email that just arrived from Mark Shells, confirming that he is "augustacycling":

    --begin quote from augustacycling [Mark Shells]--

    From: "mark" <[email protected]>
    To: <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: I am
    Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:06:12 -0500

    Let this person know that I am real. my web site is
    http://augustacycling.home.comcast.net. I am also the team director for Colavita-Bolla/augusta, A tier 3 elite racing team.

    [snip]

    --end quote from augustacycling [Mark Shells]--

    That's two of the six people on Chalo's last paranoid fantasy list. Anyone interested his insults, followed by wriggling, can see extensive quoting toward the end of the "Should I Wear A Helmet?"

    Others on his list are equally easy to find. I'm waiting for their replies, since for some reason not everyone insulted by the more paranoid members of rec.bicycles.tech is eager to suffer further insult.

    I must add that while I agreed to Tuschinski's request to drop the matter in the helmet thread (he's one of the more gracious victims), it seemed reasonable to post this explanation, given that another victim's new thread was hard to understand for the first two people who followed up. Meanwhile, I'm wading through private emails, both from angry victims and from rec.bicycles.tech posters who indicate that they may want to apologize.

    Possibly Chalo or Frank would like to try again to find one of the easier names on the list of people whom they claim do not exist? One of them, for Christ's sake, has their own web page, using the name on the list, so how hard can it be to find them?

    Carl Fogel

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 6 Dec 2003 14:37:06 +1050, carlfogel
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Martynspeck wrote:
    > > I came across a post that asked a question. I responded in the
    >
    >From cycling forums, Martyn can no longer post to the original 933-post "Should I Wear a Helmet?"
    >thread because it has been removed from that

    True, but he posted from groups.google.com. Even if his original post, to which he got nasty
    This leaves one still somewhat confused. I postulate that he posted to a new thread so that
    cyclingforums.com users could read his post.

    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > I postulate that he posted to a new thread so that cyclingforums.com users could read his post.

    If certain people are to be believed, you should have said "the cyclingforums.com user could read
    his post."

    :^)

    Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  7. BaCardi

    BaCardi New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2003
    who cares? Do your own thing. If you want to wear one, whoopity freaking do!

  8. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 11 Dec 2003 15:35:34 +1050, BaCardi
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >who cares? Do your own thing. If you want to wear one, whoopity freaking do!

    That right there was the absolute most original statement I've seen in this whole set of threads.
    --
    Rick "And monkeys might fly out of my butt" Onanian