sinclair launches world's smallest folding bike

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:22:18 +0000, Gawnsoft wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:41:40 +0100, anonymous coward
> <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>>> The picture at
>>> http://www.straitstimes.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2004-07-03/h20.jpg
>>> looks a bit like a Strida, only with ridiculously small wheels and a less
>>> plausible looking pedal position.
>>> I don't care what cunning suspension mechanism is packed in there, those
>>> wheels aren't going to work anywhere with potholes or kerbs.

>>I think it looks quite neat, but I'll wait for the recumbent version.
>>Clearly this cannot be the bike of the future;)
>>
>>I don't ask that a bike wheel need be able to mount kerbs, but I agree
>>about the potholes. I wonder if a nice aluminium skid would save the day
>>by helping the front wheel out of potholes? Otherwise it looks a recipe
>>for superman impressions and helmet tests*.
>>
>>AC
>>
>>* I do not presume to know what the outcome of these tests is likely to be.

> I cycle lots of places where there are potholes. I've yet to cycle
> /into/ a pothole. I find cycling around the potholes to be a far
> superior technique. However, you may feel your kung fu is superior to
> my kung fu...

Quite the opposite, if you manage to avoid _all_ of them!

Riding a recumbent with 406 size wheels, quite small bumps can become a
big issue. For example if there are roadworks and there's 2cm bump where
the surface changes, I have to slow right down to avoid getting a pinch
flat. I used to have a bike with a 451 size wheel (not much bigger) and it
seems to cope much better.

On the other hand, kiddie-scooters seem to cope OK, so maybe it can be
made to work.

AC

Julesh wrote:

> You don't have a "Black Watch"?

Someone my dad worked with threw his away in frustration, dad rescued it
and did a little work on it and presented it to me. We called it "the
cornflake packet watch" because it looked like something you'd get free
in a packet of cereal.
I thought it was great at first, being about 9 at the time and in an era
when watches were still fairly unusual for kids and it was cool and
exciting to have to push a button to see the time! Of course, being 9 I
had to push that button a lot, and if you did it ate batteries pretty
fast. It wasn't /that/ long before it broke.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:52:56 GMT, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Clearly someone needs to develop the folding wheel.

> Easy. Take a wheel. Overload drastically by, say, riding into
> something immovable. Wheel folds.

Or just leave your bike chained up at Twickenham station on a Friday
night.

--
Dave...

When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: I looked into
the soul of the boy sitting next to me. — Woody Allen

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:50:53 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The Sinclair Programmable had the tiny form factor of their later
> calculators, was a proper RPN beast (this isn't a troll: I only use RPN
> calculators)

Can you recommend a currently available calculator with RPN? DO HP still
do RPN calculators?

Colin

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 11:04:02 +0000 (UTC), davek
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Its wheels are a quarter the size of those on a regular bicycle, but
> Sinclair promises a smooth and sturdy ride for most cyclists. "You
> require
> no extra energy to ride the A-bike and it can go up to 15 miles per hour
> (24 kph)," he told Reuters.

Does it have a speed limiter then?

Colin

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:55:00 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon@restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Does it have a speed limiter then?

> Yes. At 15.1 mph it folds.

Simple but effective.

> Would you really want to go faster than 15mph
> on a plastic bike with 3" wheels.

Depends on the hill and how soft the verges are.

I do see his point though. I often get told that the Brompton must be hard
work because it has small wheels. I tell them that I use gearing. Oddly,
these same people think nothing of messing about with gearing on a stepper
motor to achieve the motion they require.

Colin

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I do see his point though. I often get told that the Brompton must be hard
> work because it has small wheels. I tell them that I use gearing. Oddly,
> these same people think nothing of messing about with gearing on a stepper
> motor to achieve the motion they require.

It's not the size of the wheels as related to gearing that concerns me.
It's the size of them compared to the holes in the road. On both racers
I can ride over most roads in Edinburgh without too much concern. The
406 on the bent has suspension so is not too bad, but I try to steer
clear of the worst of them. The wheels on the A Bike are significantly
smaller and will simply disappear into many of the cracks and holes
round here. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be at 15 mph on a
plastic clothes rack.

Jon

In article <[email protected]>,
Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:50:53 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The Sinclair Programmable had the tiny form factor of their later
> > calculators, was a proper RPN beast (this isn't a troll: I only use RPN
> > calculators)

> Can you recommend a currently available calculator with RPN? DO HP still
> do RPN calculators?
>
> Colin

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/03/2122226&mode=thread&tid=100&tid=137&tid=173&tid=187
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/25/181208&tid=173
http://www.hp.com/calculators/scientific/33s/

ian

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> I do see his point though. I often get told that the Brompton must be
> hard work because it has small wheels. I tell them that I use gearing.

I know how you feel, but there's more to small wheels than driving them
in the right gear. The wee micro scooters with engines proved you can
get about on good roads with the right drive, but OTOH really small
wheels soon come up against problems on anything other than good surfaces.

Alex Moulton set out to prove that small wheels were not intrinsically
poor, yet despite not worrying himself with things like low cost mass
production, and with a background of exhaustive practical testing, he's
never gone below 16" wheels AFAICT, and that's with capable suspension
designed by someone with a track record in designing suspension.

The R&M Frog uses 12" wheels but again that has a serious bit of
suspension on it, not obvious on the Sinclair from the pictures or the
target price.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

says...
> The R&M Frog uses 12" wheels but again that has a serious bit of
> suspension on it, not obvious on the Sinclair from the pictures or the
> target price.

Given the Sinclair is a plastic folding bike, I would imagine that the
suspension comes from the way the frame will flex when ever you hit a
bump. This might also be the reason for the 15mph speed limit.

Despite the fact that is apparently completely useless, I would love to
find somewhere that sells them (When they begin their mass-market world
domination phase next year!) and have a go.

Jon

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:41:55 +0100, Peter Clinch <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>> I do see his point though. I often get told that the Brompton must be
>> hard work because it has small wheels. I tell them that I use gearing.

> I know how you feel, but there's more to small wheels than driving them
> in the right gear.

I appreciate that, but I suspect he was answering a specific query in the
interview with Reuters, from a journo who thinks smaller wheels means
harder pedalling.

> The wee micro scooters with engines proved you can get about on good
> roads with the right drive, but OTOH really small wheels soon come up
> against problems on anything other than good surfaces.

And this is the question Reuters should have addressed to him as this is
the real limiting factor of the bike.

Colin

in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:41:55 +0100, Peter Clinch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The wee micro scooters with engines proved you can get about on good
>> roads with the right drive, but OTOH really small wheels soon come up
>> against problems on anything other than good surfaces.

> And this is the question Reuters should have addressed to him as this
> is the real limiting factor of the bike.

To be fair, this bike appears to be aimed at the commuter market, as
something to pedal from the rail/tube station to the office, and as
such is intended to be used on inner city roads, which should have
moderately decent surfaces.

'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

jtaylor wrote:

> Moulton Mini has 14" wheels (not that bicycle wheel "size" is linerarly
> related to wheel diameter).

I stand corrected, but that still looks rather bigger than the Sinclair,
and I doubt the frame was made of cheese...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

news:[email protected]...

Gawnsoft wrote:

> I was never a Spectrum person. I wanted a 6502 too much. So I had an
> Oric (or two).

I recall, white with two blue stripes and tiny keys wasn't it?

Wasn't the Dragon Micro(made in Wales) also a 6502?

Jules

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:55:00 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Does it have a speed limiter then?

> Yes. At 15.1 mph it folds. Would you really want to go faster than 15mph
> on a plastic bike with 3" wheels.

What cycle computer should I fit to warn me when I'm going dangerously
fast?!

AC

Gawnsoft wrote:

>>The Oxford 300 was a sub £30 "Scientific" calculator - it
>>had a memory and trig functions if I recall - and it didn't need
>>everything entered in Reverse Polish notaion (this isn't a troll - I
>>did once program in Forth and I don't want to do it again!).

> Why on Earth not? One of the fab things about the Oric was the fact
> there was a decent version of Forth available for it.

I'm not going to ask the obvious question here as these group gets
heated enough without me helping to stir it up :)

>>The ZX81
>>was a "real computer at under £100" or £70 if you soldered it together
>>yourself. The ZX-Spectrum offered "colour" at under £175 - which was
>>unheard of at the time. I (and I guess about a million other people - we
>>were all crazy then) waited 12 weeks for delivery - which was about
>>half the time/cost needed to wait for a (admittedly far superior) BBC
>>Model B.

>>The QL promised a 32-bit 68000 processor

> Surely you mean 16-bit?

I probably do. After 20 years
8086/8088/80286/80386/80486/Pentium/Pentium Plus/Pentium II/Pentium
III/Pentium 4 my Motorola skills have got a little rusty.

>>(although I believe
>>Sinclair bought the model with the 8-bit data bus so he could wire it
>>together with cheap support circuitry),

> Just like IBM did with the IBM PC (they used the Intel 8088 - 16-bit
> internals and memory addressing, and 8-bit data bus.

I was there. 1982 was "The year of the Micro" in the UK.

>>an operating system with a witty
>>name, storage that didn't involve cassette tapes, "high resolution"
>>graphics and "business-strength" applications for £399. This when PC's
>>were about £3000.
>>
>>I didn't buy a C5. That was a bridge too far on the marketing front.
>>IIRC (and this was 20 years ago) it had a double page spread showing
>>lots of city gentlemen cruising to a commuter-belt railway station in
>>their C5s. Even I wasn't going to fall for that one!
>>
>>The funniest thing at the time was the argument about the motor. IIRC
>>the entire thing was made by Hoover in South Wales and some people
>>pooh-poohed it as having a "washing machine" motor. Sinclair came back
>>and said that the company also made motors for torpedos. This was much
>>better as its obvious these are designed for a long working life :)
>>

>>Cheers
>>

>>Jules
>>
>>45 - by the way.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:56:39 GMT, Julesh
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Gawnsoft wrote:
>
>> I was never a Spectrum person. I wanted a 6502 too much. So I had an
>> Oric (or two).
>>

>I recall, white with two blue stripes and tiny keys wasn't it?

Was it the Oric that had a tiny built-in LCD screen allowing you to
programme the thing?

I started with a ZX81. To an 11 year old science fiction buff, having
my own computer was like the future had arrived. I progressed through
Spectrums and even started my career as a software engineer.

Looking back, I find it quite remarkable that the nations youth (well,
the male ones) were so gripped with programming as a hobby. Maybe it
was just my school but if you mastered interrupts, you were The Man.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:56:39 GMT, Julesh <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gawnsoft wrote:
>
>> I was never a Spectrum person. I wanted a 6502 too much. So I had an
>> Oric (or two).
>>

> I recall, white with two blue stripes and tiny keys wasn't it?
>

> Wasn't the Dragon Micro(made in Wales) also a 6502?

No it was a 6809 like the Tandy CoCo.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_