Singapore Rice Noodles

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bkaplan104, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Bkaplan104

    Bkaplan104 Guest

    Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same here? I've had the
    dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very*
    much in advance!

    Tags:

  2. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    On 02 Feb 2004 13:44:36 GMT, [email protected] (BKaplan104) wrote:

    > Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same here? I've had the
    > dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks,
    > *very* much in advance!

    Seems a pretty general name, but here's a site with a few rice noodle recipes from Singapore. Even
    if you can't find the specific recipe you're looking for, this is fun to look through:
    http://www.makantime.com/

    David

  3. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "BKaplan104" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me
    same
    > here? I've had the dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really
    fond of
    > it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very* much in advance!

    I copied this from rfc some years ago and used it a couple times. I hesitate to call it a recipe.
    It's more like loose directions because it doesn't specify the amounts for most of the ingredients,
    so some estimating and experimenting is required. I seem to recall using a bit less than two full
    tablespoons of curry powder. The rice sticks come in varying thicknesses. I used the fine ones. It
    turned out well so credit goes to Olga who originally posted this.

    * * * Singapore Rice Noodles!

    My mom taught me how to make this dish. It is typically found on menus in Chinese noodle shops and
    is one of my favorites. Sorry, but my recipe is by approximation (?sp) - mom was an old world cook!

    First, take the rice noodles (also called "rice stick") and soak them in room temperature water for
    a few hours, or in hot water (not boiling) for a few minutes. Do not boil these noodles like you
    would pasta or regular egg noodles, as you will end up with a pile of sticky mush.

    Prep the following items:

    -Chinese pork sausage or barbequed pork, in medium slivers. Quickly toss these in a wok till
    brown. -Fried scrambled egg, in bite sized pieces -Bean sprouts that have been tossed around in a
    wok with some ginger, 95% cooked through -Sliced slivered green peppers, lightly tossed in a wok
    -Sliced onions, stir fried in a wok -Scallions sliced on the diagonal, in slivers (reserve some
    for garnish)

    I usually brown the pork sausage first, as it renders enough (a tiny bit, for my non stick wok) fat
    to fry the egg in next. After the egg, I do the veggies.

    When you have the rice stick and the prepped items ready, it is time to make the seasoning.

    Take approximately 3/4 cup of hot water, add chicken bullion to taste until dissolved. You might
    have to add a bit of soy sauce for salt, remember that this seasoning will give the whole noodle
    dish it's flavour.

    Keep in mind that this will season one package or so of the rice stick. Add two or more tablespoons
    of curry powder or however much you like, to taste. I prefer the curry powder that is sold in
    Chinese supermarkets, packaged as "Madras Curry Powder".

    Pour this mixture in your wok and let it heat up till almost boiling. Quickly add the softened rice
    stick and toss thoroughly, and keep it moving as the rice stick absorbs the seasoning mixture. The
    key is to estimate the correct amount of water to add so that the rice stick will not go gluey or
    soupy because there was too much water, or stay chewy because there wasn't enough.

    After the rice stick has softened to the point of being edible, and you have determined that the
    seasoning is alright, add all of the prepped items to the wok and toss quickly, enough to heat,
    then turn the flame off. Garnish with reserved scallions. You can add shrimp to this if you want.

    I know that this "recipe" is a lot of guess work, but if you mess with it enough times, it starts
    to click. Hope this helps. --- Olga.

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    BKaplan104 wrote:

    > Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same here? I've had the
    > dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks,
    > *very* much in advance!

    Here's something I posted about a year and a half ago. If you search Google groups, you'll find that
    Damsel (whom is greatly missed) posted a similar recipe.

    I don't make curry powder all that often, but for Singapore Rice Noodles, I make the curry powder
    from the China Moon cookbook:

    China Moon Curry Powder (makes about 1 cup)

    -Whole Spices- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds 1 tablespoon cardamon seeds 1 tablespoon cumin seeds 1
    tablespoon yellow mustard seeds 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds 1 teaspoon whole cloves
    1/2 cinnamon stick (1 1/2 inches long)
    2/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

    -Ground Spices-
    3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon ground ginger 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon turmeric

    4. Toast the whole spices together in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring and adjusting
    the heat so that the spices toast without scorching. Stir until the spices are fully fragrant
    and the fenugreek seeds are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.

    [Note: The recipe in the book says, "fennel seeds" rather than "fenugreek seeds" at that point in
    the directions, but the recipe doesn't list fennel seeds in the ingredients. The author *might*
    have intended to include fennel in the ingredients. But fenugreek is a key ingredient, so if
    fennel was intended, it would be in ADDITION to the ingredients already listed. My own opinion is
    that it was just a typo, and the author meant "fenugreek" in the sentence. I make the curry powder
    without fennel.]

    5. Stir the ground spices into the whole spices. Using a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder,
    grind the mixture finely. Store in a tightly covered jar.

    Okay, with the curry powder ready, here's the recipe for Singapore Rice Noodles from the _Terrific
    Pacific Cookbook_:

    8 ounces rice vermicelli 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets [I
    usually leave these out] 3 tablespoons peanut oil 5 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined 2 small
    hot chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    1 medium onion, quartered and diced 1 slender small carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally crosswise
    6/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
    7/2 cup julienned green bell pepper 2 tablespoons sliced scallions 2 teaspoons high-quality
    curry powder
    8/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    9/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce 6 tablespoons chicken stock Salt, to
    taste chopped peanuts for garnish lime wedges for garnish

    10. Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain well.

    11. Meanwhile, rinse the chicken breasts and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels. Cut into dice
    and set aside.

    12. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 45 seconds. Drain, refresh under cold running water,
    and gently pat dry with paper towels.

    13. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a wok until almost smoking. Swirl the wok to coat with the
    oil. Add the chicken and stir until the pieces just turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the
    shrimp and stir until they just turn pink, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken and shrimp from
    the wok with a slotted spoon and keep warm.

    14. Add the remaining oil to the wok and heat until almost smoking. Add the chiles, garlic, and
    ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and toss for 1 minute. Add the carrot and
    toss for another minute. Add the broccoli, peppers, and scallions, and stir for 2 more minutes.

    15. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne and stir for 15 seconds. Add the chicken and
    shrimp along with the noodles. Toss and stir until combined with the other ingredients. Add the
    soy sauce, stock, and salt to taste. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the liquid is
    absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve at once, garnished with chopped peanuts and lime wedges.

    Sometimes I add diced firm tofu and/or Chinese roast pork. (I use the Cantonese roast pork recipe in
    _The Chinese Cookbook_, by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee.) Like Philippine pancit, this is a good
    recipe for cleaning out the refrigerator. In fact, if you look at the pancit recipe at
    http://pasta.allrecipes.com/AZ/PrtyPncit.asp, you'll see some obvious similarities to the recipe
    that Damsel posted earlier. (But the pancit recipe omits curry powder, which is one of the defining
    features of Singapore Rice Noodles, and it was a curried noodle question that started this whole
    discussion.)

    Bob