Singapore Rice Noodles

Bkaplan104

Guest
Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same here? I've had the
dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very*
much in advance!

On 02 Feb 2004 13:44:36 GMT, [email protected] (BKaplan104) wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same here? I've had the
> dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks,
> *very* much in advance!

Seems a pretty general name, but here's a site with a few rice noodle recipes from Singapore. Even
if you can't find the specific recipe you're looking for, this is fun to look through:
http://www.makantime.com/

David

"BKaplan104" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me
same
> here? I've had the dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really
fond of
> it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks, *very* much in advance!

I copied this from rfc some years ago and used it a couple times. I hesitate to call it a recipe.
It's more like loose directions because it doesn't specify the amounts for most of the ingredients,
so some estimating and experimenting is required. I seem to recall using a bit less than two full
tablespoons of curry powder. The rice sticks come in varying thicknesses. I used the fine ones. It
turned out well so credit goes to Olga who originally posted this.

* * * Singapore Rice Noodles!

My mom taught me how to make this dish. It is typically found on menus in Chinese noodle shops and
is one of my favorites. Sorry, but my recipe is by approximation (?sp) - mom was an old world cook!

First, take the rice noodles (also called "rice stick") and soak them in room temperature water for
a few hours, or in hot water (not boiling) for a few minutes. Do not boil these noodles like you
would pasta or regular egg noodles, as you will end up with a pile of sticky mush.

Prep the following items:

-Chinese pork sausage or barbequed pork, in medium slivers. Quickly toss these in a wok till
brown. -Fried scrambled egg, in bite sized pieces -Bean sprouts that have been tossed around in a
wok with some ginger, 95% cooked through -Sliced slivered green peppers, lightly tossed in a wok
-Sliced onions, stir fried in a wok -Scallions sliced on the diagonal, in slivers (reserve some
for garnish)

I usually brown the pork sausage first, as it renders enough (a tiny bit, for my non stick wok) fat
to fry the egg in next. After the egg, I do the veggies.

When you have the rice stick and the prepped items ready, it is time to make the seasoning.

Take approximately 3/4 cup of hot water, add chicken bullion to taste until dissolved. You might
have to add a bit of soy sauce for salt, remember that this seasoning will give the whole noodle
dish it's flavour.

Keep in mind that this will season one package or so of the rice stick. Add two or more tablespoons
of curry powder or however much you like, to taste. I prefer the curry powder that is sold in
Chinese supermarkets, packaged as "Madras Curry Powder".

Pour this mixture in your wok and let it heat up till almost boiling. Quickly add the softened rice
stick and toss thoroughly, and keep it moving as the rice stick absorbs the seasoning mixture. The
key is to estimate the correct amount of water to add so that the rice stick will not go gluey or
soupy because there was too much water, or stay chewy because there wasn't enough.

After the rice stick has softened to the point of being edible, and you have determined that the
seasoning is alright, add all of the prepped items to the wok and toss quickly, enough to heat,
then turn the flame off. Garnish with reserved scallions. You can add shrimp to this if you want.

I know that this "recipe" is a lot of guess work, but if you mess with it enough times, it starts
to click. Hope this helps. --- Olga.

BKaplan104 wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know where I can get this recipe, or can give me same here? I've had the
> dish at Chopsticks (Leominster, MA), and I'm really fond of it. Please, *anyone*! Thanks,
> *very* much in advance!

Here's something I posted about a year and a half ago. If you search Google groups, you'll find that
Damsel (whom is greatly missed) posted a similar recipe.

I don't make curry powder all that often, but for Singapore Rice Noodles, I make the curry powder
from the China Moon cookbook:

China Moon Curry Powder (makes about 1 cup)

-Whole Spices- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds 1 tablespoon cardamon seeds 1 tablespoon cumin seeds 1
tablespoon yellow mustard seeds 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds 1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 cinnamon stick (1 1/2 inches long)
2/2 teaspoon black peppercorns

-Ground Spices-
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1 tablespoon ground ginger 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon turmeric

4. Toast the whole spices together in a small dry skillet over low heat, stirring and adjusting
the heat so that the spices toast without scorching. Stir until the spices are fully fragrant
and the fenugreek seeds are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes.

[Note: The recipe in the book says, "fennel seeds" rather than "fenugreek seeds" at that point in
the directions, but the recipe doesn't list fennel seeds in the ingredients. The author *might*
have intended to include fennel in the ingredients. But fenugreek is a key ingredient, so if
fennel was intended, it would be in ADDITION to the ingredients already listed. My own opinion is
that it was just a typo, and the author meant "fenugreek" in the sentence. I make the curry powder
without fennel.]

5. Stir the ground spices into the whole spices. Using a spice grinder or clean coffee grinder,
grind the mixture finely. Store in a tightly covered jar.

Okay, with the curry powder ready, here's the recipe for Singapore Rice Noodles from the _Terrific
Pacific Cookbook_:

8 ounces rice vermicelli 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets [I
usually leave these out] 3 tablespoons peanut oil 5 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined 2 small
hot chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced 1 teaspoon minced garlic 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 medium onion, quartered and diced 1 slender small carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally crosswise
6/2 cup julienned red bell pepper
7/2 cup julienned green bell pepper 2 tablespoons sliced scallions 2 teaspoons high-quality
curry powder
8/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
9/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce 6 tablespoons chicken stock Salt, to
taste chopped peanuts for garnish lime wedges for garnish

10. Soak the rice vermicelli in warm water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain well.

11. Meanwhile, rinse the chicken breasts and pat thoroughly dry with paper towels. Cut into dice
and set aside.

12. Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 45 seconds. Drain, refresh under cold running water,
and gently pat dry with paper towels.

13. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a wok until almost smoking. Swirl the wok to coat with the
oil. Add the chicken and stir until the pieces just turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the
shrimp and stir until they just turn pink, about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken and shrimp from
the wok with a slotted spoon and keep warm.

14. Add the remaining oil to the wok and heat until almost smoking. Add the chiles, garlic, and
ginger and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the onion and toss for 1 minute. Add the carrot and
toss for another minute. Add the broccoli, peppers, and scallions, and stir for 2 more minutes.

15. Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne and stir for 15 seconds. Add the chicken and
shrimp along with the noodles. Toss and stir until combined with the other ingredients. Add the
soy sauce, stock, and salt to taste. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the liquid is
absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve at once, garnished with chopped peanuts and lime wedges.

Sometimes I add diced firm tofu and/or Chinese roast pork. (I use the Cantonese roast pork recipe in
_The Chinese Cookbook_, by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee.) Like Philippine pancit, this is a good
recipe for cleaning out the refrigerator. In fact, if you look at the pancit recipe at
http://pasta.allrecipes.com/AZ/PrtyPncit.asp, you'll see some obvious similarities to the recipe
that Damsel posted earlier. (But the pancit recipe omits curry powder, which is one of the defining
features of Singapore Rice Noodles, and it was a curried noodle question that started this whole
discussion.)

Bob