Single best book on training?



TiMan

New Member
Sep 29, 2003
484
0
0
Any comments on what you think is the best hard core training book out there?
 

polarlight

New Member
Jul 29, 2003
1
0
0
Originally posted by TiMan
Any comments on what you think is the best hard core training book out there?

There are 3 that I like, each one with different ideas that I've
been using and incorporating into my training:

1. The Ultimate Ride by Chris Carmichael
2. Serious Cycling by Edmund R. Burke
3. The Lance Armstrong Performance Program by LA and Chris Carmichael

All three have common sense ideas about training that get
into all the aspects of training, including nutrition, mental
attitude, etc.

I can say from experience that consistency has been the most
important aspect of my training - I try to train 4 to 6 days a
week. Even a 30 or 45 minute ride can be used effectively
and efficiently during the middle of the week. The second
most important aspect has been changing my diet to be a
lot more nutritionally sound, which has helped me lose a lot
of weight. The best way to climb faster is to carry less weight
up the hills - a 5 pound loss can help you do a 3 mile climb
about 30 seconds faster with no increase in your conditioning.

Good luck with your training program!
 

byron27

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
919
2
0
47
i think polarlight is right in recommending the lance armstrong training book, but i dont feel it is that "hardcore' in its approach to training. I personally used it as my first training book and have now moved onto using Joe Friel's "road training bible" which gives you more options to truly tailor you own training program.
 

sanmi

New Member
Oct 27, 2003
25
0
0
In my opinion LeMond´s complete book of cycling.
It is a very easy to read smart book and goes straight to the point without many Bull...of confusing diagrams and trainig zones (F1,C3,G4,2Fg..) that only make the book look better since thei are so complicated to read that they seem they are good.

LeMond was WAY ahead of his time and still would be compared to most.
 

TiMan

New Member
Sep 29, 2003
484
0
0
Originally posted by byron27
i think polarlight is right in recommending the lance armstrong training book, but i dont feel it is that "hardcore' in its approach to training. I personally used it as my first training book and have now moved onto using Joe Friel's "road training bible" which gives you more options to truly tailor you own training program.


Armstrongs book sucks frankly....for all but the newbie.
 

TiMan

New Member
Sep 29, 2003
484
0
0
Originally posted by sanmi
In my opinion LeMond´s complete book of cycling.
It is a very easy to read smart book and goes straight to the point without many Bull...of confusing diagrams and trainig zones (F1,C3,G4,2Fg..) that only make the book look better since thei are so complicated to read that they seem they are good.

LeMond was WAY ahead of his time and still would be compared to most.

I have Lemonds book and it is indeed excellent! It really covers it all.

Just wondering if there is really anything better yet.
 

stowerider

New Member
Sep 23, 2003
25
0
0
Originally posted by TiMan
Any comments on what you think is the best hard core training book out there?

Hi TiMan,

You might want to check out Eddie Borysewicz's Complete Book of Bicycle Racing. Its a little dated (HRM had only just appeared, Power meters didn't exist) - but the book is aimed at providing a year round program for the aspiring junior who wants to race and go to the district championships.

Its fairly comprehensive covering different types of racing - road races, crits, TTs. Not as comprehensive as Burke's Serious Cycling but still good. You will also learn the secret of the atom flask!

Phinney Davis has a thin book - which contains some useful material but its major weakness is that its no where near as analytical or comprehensive as Burke's tome. Its an easy 200 pages with some interesting biographical stuff.

SR
 

Palmeranian

New Member
May 21, 2003
13
0
0
Can't say i've read any of the books mentioned. However I have found an online cyber book designed in web page format which covers all aspects you would want to know about cycling. Give it a look I found it very informative it is to the point, has a scientific basis (written by an Md) and is easy to navigate.

www.cptips.com/toc.htm
 

dhk

New Member
Sep 1, 2003
2,259
0
0
74
Originally posted by Palmeranian
Can't say i've read any of the books mentioned. However I have found an online cyber book designed in web page format which covers all aspects you would want to know about cycling. Give it a look I found it very informative it is to the point, has a scientific basis (written by an Md) and is easy to navigate.

www.cptips.com/toc.htm

Interesting link, will enjoy reading it. Thanks. I've just ordered 3 books: Serious Cycling, Long Distance Riding, and the LA Training Program. I'll be ready for the cold and rainy weather ahead.

Dan
 

Gustaf

New Member
Aug 16, 2003
18
0
0
Check out the Joel Friel Training Bible, its way way way more indepth thant he Lance Armsteong Performance Program book