Single front ring w/9spd cassette

Flyingcoyote

Guest
On the new bikes I'm building, we're gonna run a single front ring (34T or maybe 32T) and an XT
9spd cassette.

If I run a typical singlespeed ring (possibly w/bashguard), can anyone think of any issues I should
consider which may pose problems?

Would a 9spd chain have any problems on a typical singlespeed ring?

On my trials bike, I use a very small front ring (22T) with trials bashguard, and a 7spd cassette
with 7/8spd chain. But I'm so sure about a 9spd chain on a singlespeed ring.

Thanks!

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:57:40 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:

> On the new bikes I'm building, we're gonna run a single front ring (34T or maybe 32T) and an XT
> 9spd cassette.
>
> If I run a typical singlespeed ring (possibly w/bashguard), can anyone think of any issues I
> should consider which may pose problems?

If it's a proper SS ring, it will be designed for a 1/8" chain.

> Would a 9spd chain have any problems on a typical singlespeed ring?

Yes.

> On my trials bike, I use a very small front ring (22T) with trials bashguard, and a 7spd cassette
> with 7/8spd chain. But I'm so sure about a 9spd chain on a singlespeed ring.

But the 22t was non-SS specific, I'm guessing.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

In news:p[email protected],
bomba <[email protected]> scribbled:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:57:40 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:
>
>> On the new bikes I'm building, we're gonna run a single front ring (34T or maybe 32T) and an XT
>> 9spd cassette.
>>
>> If I run a typical singlespeed ring (possibly w/bashguard), can anyone think of any issues I
>> should consider which may pose problems?
>
> If it's a proper SS ring, it will be designed for a 1/8" chain.
>
>> Would a 9spd chain have any problems on a typical singlespeed ring?
>
> Yes.
>
>> On my trials bike, I use a very small front ring (22T) with trials bashguard, and a 7spd cassette
>> with 7/8spd chain. But I'm so sure about a 9spd chain on a singlespeed ring.
>
> But the 22t was non-SS specific, I'm guessing.

I just read your SS Sprocket question post. I think I can get the info I need from that. Or at least
it will help.

Thanks!,

--

bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:57:40 +0000, FlyingCoyote wrote:

> > On the new bikes I'm building, we're gonna run a single front ring (34T or maybe 32T) and an XT
> > 9spd cassette.
> >
> > If I run a typical singlespeed ring (possibly w/bashguard), can anyone think of any issues I
> > should consider which may pose problems?

> If it's a proper SS ring, it will be designed for a 1/8" chain.

> > Would a 9spd chain have any problems on a typical singlespeed ring?

> Yes.

Many BMX freewheels are 3/32" on which you can run either 3/32" or 1/8" chain. Rings too: plain
rings suitable for singlespeed usually come in either 3/32" or 1/8", and 9speed chain ought to work
on the 3/32" variety.

AFAIK, there is nothing special about a singlespeed ring, other than that it should have tall teeth
and no shift ramps so the chain doesn't derail. So basically it's like all chainrings were before
Shimano and other companies started using cut-down teeth and ramps. I just use an old Onza Buzzsaw
steel ring.

Running a single ring up front and 9 in the back, you will probably need some kind of chainguard up
front so the chain doesn't bounce off. A bashguard and a chain-watcher on the inside, for example.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On the new bikes I'm building, we're gonna run a single front ring (34T or maybe 32T) and an XT
> 9spd cassette.
>
> If I run a typical singlespeed ring (possibly w/bashguard), can anyone think of any issues I
> should consider which may pose problems?
>
> Would a 9spd chain have any problems on a typical singlespeed ring?
>
> On my trials bike, I use a very small front ring (22T) with trials bashguard, and a 7spd cassette
> with 7/8spd chain. But I'm so sure about a 9spd chain on a singlespeed ring.
>
> Thanks!

You should set it up with a chainline biased more towards the top cogs in the back to keep the chain
from derailing under climbing load, the bash guard will be helping to prevent that on the opposite
side. Also you can buy bash guards that go on the inside, and make a chain ring sandwich.
--