Single Most Important Upgrade?

kaikane

Jul 2, 2005
I've been riding my 15 year old Univega Alpina Uno lo these many years. I've taken pretty good care of it but want to spruce it up a bit for more road cycling. (I ride 30-50 miles a week) The guy at my local bike shop says it's very good shape, considering its age.
What is the single most important thing I can do to make it a better bike?
Thanks for your input.

kaikane said:
I've been riding my 15 year old Univega Alpina Uno lo these many years. I've taken pretty good care of it but want to spruce it up a bit for more road cycling. (I ride 30-50 miles a week) The guy at my local bike shop says it's very good shape, considering its age.
Thanks for your input.
Add a power meter.

Depends on why you want to upgrade. If it's just to keep up with technology, I wouldn't bother. If it's because some parts are wearing out, then those parts would be first. If it's performance you're after, a new set of wheels and tyres can knock off alot of weight and will probably be stiffer than the old ones. It all depends on what you want the bike to do.

kaikane said:
I'm not sure I want to start keeping records of BPM's etc. Why do you think a power meter's important?
Use of a power meter is the best way to manage and measure one's training, which results in more power = more speed, less effort to keep pace on group rides, faster centuries, etc. Unless you enjoy going slow, power is what we all want more of and use of a power meter for training is the best way to get it. Nothing on a bike takes the place of a power meter.

Wheels and/or tires. Get a good set so that just in case you decide to upgrade to a much nicer bike, you'll have a pair of nice reusable wheels for the new bike.

Unless you're a slave to your training journal, a power meter is a waste of money. Wheels are a popular choice, but most after market wheels could run into compatability issues with a bike that old. I'd stick with the contact points. Saddle/shorts, pedals/shoes, gloves/bars, and perhaps tires.

A couple years ago, Bicycling Magazine did an article on upgrades for $30.00 and under. Alot of cleaning invoived for upgrades in the article. One of the major upgrades at this price range was the replacement of bar tape with gel bar tape or gel inserts under the bar tape. I mentioned saddle earlier because, if your not comfortable, then any upgrade is a waste of money.

kaikane said:
Thanks for your input.
Prob better tyres, but it depends on the existing spec.

artmichalek said:
Unless you're a slave to your training journal, a power meter is a waste of money.
Interesting point of view. Now, is that based on your personal experience, or do you know all about power meters by having read about them?

kaikane said:
Thanks for your input.
Better meaning "does what you want it to do." That said, what do you want it to do? Go faster? Be more comfortable on longer rides? Attract babes?

frenchyge said:
Better meaning "does what you want it to do." That said, what do you want it to do? Go faster? Be more comfortable on longer rides? Attract babes?
of the three options you gave me, i'd have to say: be more comfortable on longer rides.

kaikane said:
Thanks for your input.
The saddle, as snyper & artmichalek have already stated. It's an easy fix that can easily be transferred over to a different bike should you opt for a new one at some point. With a decent saddle/shorts combo you can do 50 miles in a day without too much pain and suffering on the ole bottom.

After that I'd upgrade the wheels keeping in mind compatibility issues. If you can't get a set of wheels that can be carried over to a newer modern rig I wouldn't plunk down the change. After all, you've already ridden your Univega for 15 years, right?

Clipless pedals and cleats sound good too.

RapDaddyo said:
Interesting point of view. Now, is that based on your personal experience, or do you know all about power meters by having read about them?
It was based on what the original poster said, "I'm not sure I want to start keeping records of BPM's etc."