Single Most Important Upgrade?

artmichalek said:
It was based on what the original poster said, "I'm not sure I want to start keeping records of BPM's etc."

i'm a pretty casual cyclist. i love my bike and i love cycling but i'm not really trying to compete or anything like that. i'm a middle-aged guy trying to keep the belly at bay by doing what i love: surfing, cycling, and digging deep holes in my garden. :)

kaikane said:
i'm a middle-aged guy trying to keep the belly at bay by doing what i love: surfing, cycling, and digging deep holes in my garden. :)
Now there are 3 activities that should be combined into some kind of extreme sport... :D

frenchyge said:
Now there are 3 activities that should be combined into some kind of extreme sport... :D
I've got a feeling that if you started riding around with a big shovel strapped to your back the cars would leave you alone.

artmichalek said:
I've got a feeling that if you started riding around with a big shovel strapped to your back the cars would leave you alone.
They'd have to give you some room, just to get around the surfboard.

frenchyge said:
I've seen something like that on OLN. They have all of the "other" sporting events that ESPN doesn't want to carry, such as target shooting while unicycling. :D

Doctor Morbius said:
They have all of the "other" sporting events that ESPN doesn't want to carry, such as target shooting while unicycling. :D
It's not that ESPN doesn't want to show people shooting from unicyles. It's just that twelve hours a week of intense spelling bee action doesn't leave much time for it.;)

artmichalek said:
Quelle idee!
And if I did start racing, I'm sure I could bury the competition.
or at least hit 'em over the head when they aren't looking.

artmichalek said:
It's not that ESPN doesn't want to show people shooting from unicyles. It's just that twelve hours a week of intense spelling bee action doesn't leave much time for it.;)

And don't forget my favorite: PBR

kaikane said:
i'm a pretty casual cyclist. i love my bike and i love cycling but i'm not really trying to compete or anything like that. i'm a middle-aged guy trying to keep the belly at bay by doing what i love: surfing, cycling, and digging deep holes in my garden. :)
If you are cycling for fitness you should be downgrading your bike; soft heavy tyres, inefficient drive chain, anything that makes you work harder.

Question on saddles - how do you know what saddle will be right for you when you can't really test it in the store?

I have a stock Sella saddle that came on my OCR1, I don't have any pains, thoughsometimes discomfort on long rides, but I've done 100k without much complaints. How would I know that a 'better' saddle is going to feel better...without trying it?

Don Shipp said:
If you are cycling for fitness you should be downgrading your bike; soft heavy tyres, inefficient drive chain, anything that makes you work harder.
To quote the Guinness guy: "BRILLIANT!"
:D

don't waste ur money on a pwer meter if you only ride 30-35 miles a week. for a single upgrade think of what u want, speed? comfort? manuverbility?

for speed upgrade to clipless pedels (if you already have that upgrade the wheels)

for comfort, upgrade the saddle

for manuverability, look to upgrade the tiers

use ebay and maybe u can get more then one upgrade!

i am a middle aged trying to keep fit rider and i use a serfas saddle. it has a cut out and they come in mens and ladies cause they are designed different. they are supposed to prevent genital numbness and erectile disfuntion. along with a suspension seatpost. for comfort it does not get any better unless you get bent. oh yeah the seat retails for about 50$ canadian which is like free in us bucks. i can not remember what the seatpost cost. but a value it as almost priceless.

artmichalek said:
Unless you're a slave to your training journal, a power meter is a waste of money. Wheels are a popular choice, but most after market wheels could run into compatability issues with a bike that old. I'd stick with the contact points. Saddle/shorts, pedals/shoes, gloves/bars, and perhaps tires.

I fully 110% agree with this ;)

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll look into a saddle. It does seem to be the one "sore spot" of my riding. :D

kaikane said:
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll look into a saddle. It does seem to be the one "sore spot" of my riding. :D

Since you mentioned saddle, I wish you luck because saddle is such a personal thing and for some it has been very elusive, like me.

You may find yourself buying/selling and spending much dough that holy grail of a saddle. I haven't found mine yet and have about half a dozen saddles sitting around here around the house.