Single Pannier...Which side?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Ny Rides, May 29, 2003.

  1. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.

    I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require the
    two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.

    My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    the bike off too far?

    --
    Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    > the bike off too far?

    I've done it myself, and don't notice any problems. I see a fair number of commuters using one
    pannier as well.

    I use the left pannier because I mount from that side. The rider I see most regularly with one
    pannier also uses the left one. I doubt, though, it would make any difference.

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I regularly commute with only one pannier. I have the left one on one bike and the right on the
    other. I don't notice any difference - even heavily loaded. -dan

    "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.
    >
    > I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require
    > the two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.
    >
    > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    > the bike off too far?
    >
    > --
    > Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides

  4. Arous

    Arous Guest

    Hi,

    I don't think it really matters...I have a single on my commuter bike. I carry a laptop computer, a
    change of clothes with sport coat and street shoes...No problemo.

    I have everything on the right side of my bicycle but the thinking behind that was in case I fall
    the pannier will protect the derailer/gears...but again I don't really think it matters!

    Cordially, Arous

  5. I have a large Madden orange pannier which is very visible. Therefore, I always put it on the left
    side of the bike so it is closest, and most visible, to approaching cars. Anything that minutely
    makes you more visible on the road is a certain benefit.

    NY Rides wrote:

    > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.
    >
    > I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require
    > the two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.
    >
    > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    > the bike off too far?
    >
    > --
    > Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides

  6. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2003 01:43:39 GMT, "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.
    >
    >I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require the
    >two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.
    >
    >My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    >the bike off too far?

    My girlfriend and I just did a short tour over the Memorial Day weekend. We used her panniers. I
    carried the left one and she carried the right. We had no problems.

  7. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

    Cool. Keep those positive comments coming, folks! Hey...does anybody wanna buy a right-side pannier
    really cheap????? :)

    --
    Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides "NY Rides" <[email protected]>
    > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.
    >
    > I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require
    > the two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.
    >
    > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    > the bike off too far?
    >
    > --
    > Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides

  8. Bri

    Bri Guest

    If I ride with only one then I use the right side, That way when I lay over the bike it's on the
    left side so I can access the pannier and the derailuer is not getting trashed on the ground.

  9. NY Rides wrote:

    > Cool. Keep those positive comments coming, folks! Hey...does anybody wanna buy a right-side
    > pannier really cheap????? :)

    Is that for a left or a right handed bike?

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Tolerance is recognizing that other people
    have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on that knowledge.

  10. Colin B.

    Colin B. Guest

    Also, a pannier on the left side can make you appear to be wider on the vehicle traffic side, hence
    motorists are likely to give you more room.. Just another reason for using the left one.

    Colin <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I have a large Madden orange pannier which is very visible.
    Therefore, I
    > always put it on the left side of the bike so it is closest, and
    most
    > visible, to approaching cars. Anything that minutely makes you more
    visible
    > on the road is a certain benefit.
    >
    > NY Rides wrote:
    >
    > > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying
    attention.

    > > I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I
    need to
    > > carry does not require the two panniers I've been strapping onto
    my bike.
    > > I'd like to slim down to one.
    > >
    > > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side,
    or will
    > > this throw the balance of the bike off too far?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides

  11. Tbgibb

    Tbgibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "NY Rides"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.

    I haven't noticed it before.

    >I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require the
    >two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.
    >
    >My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    >the bike off too far?

    I've carried a car starter motor in my pannier. I was surprised at how easy it was.

    I only use one for commuting and errands, but swap them occasionally so I wear them out at about the
    same rate.

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]

  12. "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.
    >
    > I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require
    > the two panniers I've been strapping onto my bike. I'd like to slim down to one.
    >
    > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or will this throw the balance of
    > the bike off too far?

    As I mentioned via Email, a bus driver actually leaned out at a traffic light to tell me that the
    reflective patch on my pannier made it easier for him to judge passing clearance. So there's a
    benefit to having it on the left Except where people keep to the left side of the road. (although
    it doesn't protect the derailleur there).

    Seratus (mountain Equipment Co-op) has a single pannier which goes both ways. Actually, it can be
    used on front racks as well.

    Other brands may sell singles as well.

  13. Ny Rides

    Ny Rides Guest

    Thanks again. My main concern is whether I'd feel the weight imbalance after 9-10 hours of riding.
    --
    Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area www.geocities.com/NYRides "mark freedman" <[email protected]>
    > "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wasn't paying attention.
    > >
    > > I've found that the length of my multi-day trips and the stuff I need to carry does not require
    > > the two panniers I've been strapping onto my
    bike.
    > > I'd like to slim down to one.
    > >
    > > My question: Is it OK to use just one pannier, on the left side, or
    will
    > > this throw the balance of the bike off too far?
    >
    > As I mentioned via Email, a bus driver actually leaned out at a traffic light to tell me that
    > the reflective patch on my pannier made it easier for him to judge passing clearance. So
    > there's a benefit to having it on the left Except where people keep to the left side of the
    > road. (although it doesn't protect the derailleur there).
    >
    > Seratus (mountain Equipment Co-op) has a single pannier which goes both ways. Actually, it can
    > be used on front racks as well.
    >
    > Other brands may sell singles as well.

  14. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I've done day rides while touring and taken only one of my two low-rider front panniers. Yes you
    will notice a weight imbalance but you will quickly get used to it (after only a few kilometers).

    So enjoy it and ride.

    -Bruce

    "NY Rides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Thanks again. My main concern is whether I'd feel the weight imbalance after 9-10 hours of riding.

  15. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Arous" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't think it really matters...I have a single on my commuter bike. I carry a laptop computer,
    > a change of clothes with sport coat and street shoes...No problemo.
    >
    > I have everything on the right side of my bicycle but the thinking behind that was in case I fall
    > the pannier will protect the derailer/gears...but again I don't really think it matters!
    >
    > Cordially, Arous

    Let me get this straight. . .you use a LAPTOP COMPUTER to protect your derailer/gears?

  16. >> I have everything on the right side of my bicycle but the thinking behind that was in case I fall
    >> the pannier will protect the derailer/gears...but again I don't really think it matters!
    >>
    >> Cordially, Arous
    >
    >Let me get this straight. . .you use a LAPTOP COMPUTER to protect your derailer/gears?

    Makes sense to me - worst that happens is you trash the computer, can't work, and have to ride more
    - seems like a win-win to me!

  17. Arous

    Arous Guest

    The "Dell" laptop is owned by the company I work for if I break it I could care less...My bike is
    more important than any "piece of shit" laptop computer...I might add the first thing to hit the
    ground in the pannier would be my clothes...it has something to do with the way one packs one's
    bags...;-)

    Cordially, Arous

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Arous" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I don't think it really matters...I have a single on my commuter bike. I carry a laptop
    > > computer, a change of clothes with sport coat and street shoes...No problemo.
    > >
    > > I have everything on the right side of my bicycle but the thinking
    behind
    > > that was in case I fall the pannier will protect the
    derailer/gears...but
    > > again I don't really think it matters!
    > >
    > > Cordially, Arous
    >
    > Let me get this straight. . .you use a LAPTOP COMPUTER to protect your derailer/gears?

  18. A few years ago, a cyclist was killed when a car hooked his left side panier and dragged him to his
    death. So if I use a single pannier, I use the right side. Also, there are a number of good bags
    news:[email protected]...