Single pivot brakes -- how to set them up?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
I just bought a set of single pivot XLab brakes (wanted dual pivot, but they were sold out). Now I find myself with a problem... having never used them before, I can't seem to figure out how to set them up properly.

They seem to be sensitive to the length of the cable casing... too long and it pushes the caliper into the rim, making it drag all the time. Too short, and it pulls the caliper over toward it, and makes the other side drag. How do you center these things and make them squeeze from both sides evenly rather than just hit one side of the rim, and shove it over toward the other side?

Aztec said:
I just bought a set of single pivot XLab brakes (wanted dual pivot, but they were sold out). Now I find myself with a problem... having never used them before, I can't seem to figure out how to set them up properly.

They seem to be sensitive to the length of the cable casing... too long and it pushes the caliper into the rim, making it drag all the time. Too short, and it pulls the caliper over toward it, and makes the other side drag. How do you center these things and make them squeeze from both sides evenly rather than just hit one side of the rim, and shove it over toward the other side?
The fixing bolt has to be tight enough to hold the adjustment and keep them from pivoting.If that ain't the solution to the issue,then I douo. works for al the single pivots I have.

agree with borey...tighten the attachment bolt and the caliper should stayed centered. If anything you should always err on the too long side for cable casing..not a lot but a little and the cable will never have enough spine to move a properly tightened caliper provided the cable is long enough.
HTH,
George

Aztec said:

In addition to the two posters, some brakes (Campy) have a centering nut behind the caliper arms. Rotate the brakes by using a cone wrench on the centering pad while rotating the fixing nut with allen wrench in the same direction. Check your calipers if they have any...