single speed conversion - HELP

simon london

Mar 15, 2005
After riding mountain bikes for years, am now getting into single speed. Have been riding a Colnago with horizontal drop outs, old wheels and 7-speed casette with shortened chain on 17T sprocket.
I need new wheels as old ones are knackered but am getting conflicting advice from bike shops.
Some say just get standard rear wheel with freewheel hub and split up a casette, use washers and choose best sprocket.
Others say get a wheel built with fixed hub and freewheel sprocket.

Help! What is the best way to go.

A real single-speed offers a bit better stance insofar as dish is concerned. Also, new wheels are shiny and pretty, and everyone knows that shiny, pretty things go faster.

If you need to buy a new wheel AND you know that you are going single-speed, there's no good reason to buy a wheel with a normal hub unless you want the option of converting the bike back to having gears. Buy or build a wheel with a flip-flop single-speed hub so that you have the option of going fixed or free. As previously mentioned, a geared hub is dished to make room for the cogset so a single-speed hub will make for a stronger wheel.

The way I went was to find a built wheel with a freewheel hub, re-dished (un-dished?) the wheel and ran a single speed freewheel. That's the CHEAPEST way.. If I had my druthers... I'd build a wheel with a Phil Wood Free/fixed hub...
Jeremy

My mtn bike has vertical drops. I used a White Industries ENO Eccentric hub. Love it.

ibike73 said:
My mtn bike has vertical drops. I used a White Industries ENO Eccentric hub. Love it.
Eccentric hubs...horizontal dropouts...you kids these days, you're all spoiled!! Why, back in my day, I ran a chain pieced together from 4 different chains of all different degrees of wear to make it the correct length to work with a converted "Bridgestone"...then we had to ride up hill both ways...in the snow...always. ;)

I purchased a set of wheels from nycbikes.com that have flip-flop hubs. I run fixed most of the time but flip to the freewheel side in the snow and heavy rain.

simon london said:
After riding mountain bikes for years, am now getting into single speed. Have been riding a Colnago with horizontal drop outs, old wheels and 7-speed casette with shortened chain on 17T sprocket.
I need new wheels as old ones are knackered but am getting conflicting advice from bike shops.
Some say just get standard rear wheel with freewheel hub and split up a casette, use washers and choose best sprocket.
Others say get a wheel built with fixed hub and freewheel sprocket.

Help! What is the best way to go.

Smartt/RST said:
Eccentric hubs...horizontal dropouts...you kids these days, you're all spoiled!! Why, back in my day, I ran a chain pieced together from 4 different chains of all different degrees of wear to make it the correct length to work with a converted "Bridgestone"...then we had to ride up hill both ways...in the snow...always. ;)

Yeah, ditto, but where I grew up it was always blowin' dogs off chains...there and back...