Single speed conversion Qu

Glen75

Jun 11, 2007
I have some old road parts, and i was thinking of building up a SS flat bar road bike, just for riding with the kids etc.
Frame is a Giant TCR C0 carbon
I also have some surplus Campag Chorus 11s cranks
Fulcrum racing 5 (campag wheels).

So i figure i need a chain tensioner and shim kit for the rear.

Does anyone know where i can get a single rear campag sproket, or will i need to buy a cluster and only use 1 gear?

I see most SS use a BMX style chain, with my 11s front rings, should i use a normal road chain instead?

Anything else i have missed?

Glen75 said:
I have some old road parts, and i was thinking of building up a SS flat bar road bike, just for riding with the kids etc.
Frame is a Giant TCR C0 carbon
I also have some surplus Campag Chorus 11s cranks
Fulcrum racing 5 (campag wheels).

So i figure i need a chain tensioner and shim kit for the rear.

Does anyone know where i can get a single rear campag sproket, or will i need to buy a cluster and only use 1 gear?

I see most SS use a BMX style chain, with my 11s front rings, should i use a normal road chain instead?

Anything else i have missed?

I'll bet a local bike shop has a box of old cogs. One in there is probably fine. Use a single chainring. Since the Campagnolo crankarm spiders have small holes, you gotta use the supplied CR bolts but get some spacers and use 1 chainring(on the inside). Use any old 6/7/8s chain. NOT a 1/8 inch BMX type, make too much noise.

'Surplus' 11s cranks? Lucky you.